There are 255 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Rascal:
WELL, I'm a GOLD 49er fan.. which means that I all IN if it would be best for the team...

If Shawn " Bulls Eye " Poindexter is a Diamond in the Rough, he will and should be kept.. but you need to realize that Jimmy The Gift has played with Trent Taylor so he's got some kind of chemistry all ready.

Also, Taylor's snail like speed ( like you said ) should be the same reason why he'll toy around w/diff defenses the way Edelman did all these times.

The chemistry factor with Jimmy G shouldn't really be a big issue, chemistry can be built and developed. If indeed existing chemistry was a such a huge factor, then no one from last year's WR corps would be cut. I can see you have also excluded Goodwin, some have argued on his behalf from the standpoint of chemistry with Jimmy G too. I think at the end of the day, we just have to rate everyone fairly based purely on abilities alone if we want to end up with the best WRs that we can get in our WR corps.

IF that's the case, then Good should be the 1st one to go... he's done nothing since buying a house for his mom.. Buffalo didn't see him becoming a good WR, and neither do I..

That's just my opinion. .. to all his followers, Mods or not, take no offense..

Not at all, I have Goodwin gone too. The dude is too soft, can't take the hits and can't play through injuries.
WELL, I'm a GOLD 49er fan.. which means that I all IN if it would be best for the team...

If Shawn " Bulls Eye " Poindexter is a Diamond in the Rough, he will and should be kept.. but you need to realize that Jimmy The Gift has played with Trent Taylor so he's got some kind of chemistry all ready.

Also, Taylor's snail like speed ( like you said ) should be the same reason why he'll toy around w/diff defenses the way Edelman did all these times.

The chemistry factor with Jimmy G shouldn't really be a big issue, chemistry can be built and developed. If indeed existing chemistry was a such a huge factor, then no one from last year's WR corps would be cut. I can see you have also excluded Goodwin, some have argued on his behalf from the standpoint of chemistry with Jimmy G too. I think at the end of the day, we just have to rate everyone fairly based purely on abilities alone if we want to end up with the best WRs that we can get in our WR corps.

IF that's the case, then Good should be the 1st one to go... he's done nothing since buying a house for his mom.. Buffalo didn't see him becoming a good WR, and neither do I..

Not at all, I have Goodwin gone too. The dude is too soft, can't take the hits and can't play through injuries.

Goodwin is still one of our most complete WRs on the team. He will be on the team for the foreseeable future.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Maybe Poindexter makes it on the PS. The one starter from last yr who's probably got the best chance of getting cut is Bourne

Bourne is gone. Probably Richie james as well. Deebo can return kicks which was probably one of the reasons we selected him over AJ Brown. That and his ability to take handoffs and sweeps.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Goodwin is still one of our most complete WRs on the team. He will be on the team for the foreseeable future.

This.
Goodwin is still the best proven WR on our team IMO, top 2 at least. These rookies haven't proved anything yet. One of them might not even play full time WR.
He's also one of the best deep threats in the game and the only one on our team. Teams have to shade a safety to his side because of that. Ya he's pretty injury prone, but because we were terrible a WR, he was asked to do more than he probably should have. That's the reason IMO Kyle want to reduce his snap, not his talent. So of course last year he would struggle without Jimmy in, Beathard and Mullens are terrible deep ball throwers.
So,
Goodwin
Pettis
Deebo
Hurd
frontrunners
Taylor
leading the rest of the pack?

Remember, we've got Arbys who can line up wide as well, if the matchup's favorable. Gonna be brutal
Goodwin has dealt with personal issues he is the most explosive player on offense except for Kittle no way he gets cut.
[ Edited by nahumse on Apr 28, 2019 at 6:34 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Deebo isn't just a slot WR though...kyle played him outside all week at the senior bowl.

Jordan Matthews isn't making the roster, he's only got $300k in guaranteed cash. He's gone after Deebo and Hurd were drafted.

I get it you like a certain type of WR, issue is you're not the HC. He likes those quick shifty WRs I'm not looking at it based on what i want, but how our HC will most likely do it. Taylor when healthy was a stud 3rd down WR with JG. Is what it is

And Poindexter wasn't even drafted...you gotta get over the size crap, cause your gonna be let down over and over.

Dude has an uphill battle to make the team. That's just the truth of it

OK, let me just set the overarching premise and paint the big picture for you here.

Point No.1, obviously our brain trust including the HC aka Kyle Shanahan (which you have stressed) were not happy with last year's WR corps. They know full well they need to make a big step in year 3 and as such they know apart from beefing up the pass rush, they need to surround Jimmy G with better weapons. This is totally evident based on what they have done in this offseason. Let's think about that for a moment, they signed Jordan Matthews, drafted 2 x WRs back-to-back plus signing 2 more WRs amongst the UDFAs. That is how extreme their actions have been, in other words they ain't playing anymore. They are determined to make a major upgrade to our WR corps. Kyle has even come out to say a lot of good WRs will have to be cut.

So, what do you do? You decide to keep 4 of our WRs from last year in the new WR corps. Really? Are you serious? That almost defeats the purpose of what Lynch and Shanny have done. You have in effect only replaced 1 single WR from last year's WR corps, that being Kendrick Bourne. Really? Surely you can't be serious.

Let me tell you something. There is a reason why Lynch and Shanny went out to bring in so many WRs this offseason. I totally envisage this year's WR corps will look very different. Oh one more thing, you keep giving me crap about size. Hey, I got news for you, I am not John Lynch and I don't call the shots on 49ers' personnel decisions and yet they brought in not 1, not 2 but 3 big WRs, namely Matthews (6'3"), Hurd (6'4") and Poindexter (6'5'). Tell me something, why do you think they did that?? I don't know about you, common sense tells me they are putting more emphasis on size and physicality. And how can we not when our division rivals are upping their game in the arms race to bring in bigger and more powerful WRs? Seahawks drafted DK (6'3") and signed Jazz Ferguson (6'5") while the Cards drafted Hakeem Butler (6'6").

Oh, just to answer your question on Poindexter being a UDFA, they obviously couldn't draft him when we already took 2 WRs and perhaps they have a slight preference on Hurd than Poindexter. However, don't forget, Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which pushed us to send Miles Austin to fly all the way down to Arizona to meet with him and to check out his game. In other words, Poindexter isn't just some scrub they picked up amongst the UDFAs.
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 28, 2019 at 7:11 PM ]
OK, let me just set the overarching premise and paint the big picture for you here.

Point No.1, obviously our brain trust including the HC aka Kyle Shanahan (which you have stressed) were not happy with last year's WR corps. They know full well they need to make a big step in year 3 and as such they know apart from beefing up the pass rush, they need to surround Jimmy G with better weapons. This is totally evident based on what they have done in this offseason. Let's think about that for a moment, they signed Jordan Matthews, drafted 2 x WRs back-to-back plus signing 2 more WRs amongst the UDFAs. That is how extreme their actions have been, in other words they ain't playing anymore. They are determined to make a major upgrade to our WR corps. Kyle has even come out to say a lot of good WRs will have to be cut.

So, what do you do? You decide to keep 3 of our WRs from last year in the new WR corps. Really? Are you serious? That almost defeats the purpose of what Lynch and Shanny have done. You have in effect only replaced 1 single WR from last year's WR corps, that being Kendrick Bourne. Really? Surely you can't be serious.

Let me tell you something. There is a reason why Lynch and Shanny went out to bring in so many WRs this offseason. I totally envisage this year's WR corps will look very different. Oh one more thing, you keep giving me crap about size. Hey, I got news for you, I am not John Lynch and I don't call the shots on 49ers' personnel decisions and yet they brought in not 1, not 2 but 3 big WRs, namely Matthews (6'3"), Hurd (6'4") and Poindexter (6'5'). Tell me something, why do you think they did that?? I don't know about you, common sense tells me they are putting more emphasis on size and physicality. And how can we not when our division rivals are upping their game in the arms race to bring in bigger and more powerful WRs? Seahawks drafted DK (6'3") and signed Jazz Ferguson (6'5") while the Cards drafted Hakeem Butler (6'6").

Oh, just to answer your question on Poindexter being a UDFA, they obviously couldn't draft him when we already took 2 WRs and perhaps they have a slight preference on Hurd than Poindexter. However, don't forget, Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which pushed us to send Miles Austin to fly all the way down to Arizona to meet with him and to check out his game. In other words, Poindexter isn't just some scrub they picked up amongst the UDFAs.

If he was that highly regarded, they would have used a pick on him. Pretty much any UDFA will have a difficult time making this roster. This isn't 2017 anymore.
Originally posted by nahumse:
Goodwin has dealt with personal issues he is the most explosive player on offense except for Kittle no way he gets cut.

Don't see anyway Goodwin gets cut. Nobody else on this offense comes close to his speed. Teams have to respect that by keeping a safety back. He's a lock. Having him on the field opens things up for everyone else.

Pettis, Samuel and Hurd are obviously all locks.

That leaves 2 spots open for everyone else

I think Taylor sticks because he is a reliable punt returner and 3rd down option. You really don't want Pettis as one of your top two WRs risking injury by returning punts. Unless he isn't recovered from his back injury, I see him as a lock.

I think James sticks because Kyle LOVES speed and James brings more of it than anyone else but Goodwin. I think he would also be your default kick returner. Deebo CAN return kicks but do you really want your early 2nd rounder out there risking injury when James can do the job just fine? Nah.

To me that leaves everyone else out in the cold.

Bourne-Solid #5 WR, nothing special, doesn't offer anything as a returner. Hasn't distinguished himself at all.

Matthews-Signed late in FA, one year deal, little guaranteed money, this front office has continually favored younger players(remember Kerley?) solid big slot but doesn't give you much else. Not a returner or special teams contributor. Hurd more or less takes over his role on this roster.

So, what do you do? You decide to keep 3 of our WRs from last year in the new WR corps. Really? Are you serious? That almost defeats the purpose of what Lynch and Shanny have done. You have in effect only replaced 1 single WR from last year's WR corps, that being Kendrick Bourne. Really? Surely you can't be serious.

That's one theory. I'd say the other theory is they already have speed on the team in Goodwin, Pettis so yeah now you focus on some beef. We had to replace Garcon so that explains the Deebo pick. Hurd and Poindexter can compete for big slot with Poindexter most likely ending up on the ps.

If you get rid of Goodwin you remove a critical component of Shanny's o and that's vertical speed to stretch the d. Pettis can handle it in some capacity but Shanny likes having multiple burners. I see Goodwin's role diminishing to Gabriel's. 3rd receiver but aligns on the outside and is primarily a go deep guy. He's awesome in that role so why cut him?

Let's see who comes out of camp and preseason still healthy. You can always store guys on IR if they don't make it to the 1st game of the season. Let's see who balls out. I can't wait to see who steps their game up! Who ever doesn't I don't care what round or status they have or had let the 9ers move forward.
I get everyone is speculating and it's fun to guess but knows anything yet. I am just pumped to be able say we will probably have lose good players and it's been a while since I can say that. Kyle said himself you want to have to many good players because that's how you know your team is getting better.

I am so pumped to see the DL get after it this year and cause opposing QB to make mistakes and make our Secondary look like all stars.

I can't wait to see how Kyle lines up his three stud RBs and his old offensive weapon Juszczyk and his new OW Jalen Hurd.

Can't wait to see Garoppolo and Kittle to have a whole year together.

So much excitement. I just pray the best players stay healthy.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
That's one theory. I'd say the other theory is they already have speed on the team in Goodwin, Pettis so yeah now you focus on some beef. We had to replace Garcon so that explains the Deebo pick. Hurd and Poindexter can compete for big slot with Poindexter most likely ending up on the ps.

If you get rid of Goodwin you remove a critical component of Shanny's o and that's vertical speed to stretch the d. Pettis can handle it in some capacity but Shanny likes having multiple burners. I see Goodwin's role diminishing to Gabriel's. 3rd receiver but aligns on the outside and is primarily a go deep guy. He's awesome in that role so why cut him?

So, your whole point is about the ability to throw deep right?

There are different ways to do that. You can have a big outside WR who provide mismatches to the opposing CBs. While they might not "burn" the DBs per se, they can outmuscle them. Is hard to stop a fully extended 6'5" guy from catching a deep high ball.

Also, again on the point of going deep in making chunk plays, did you know Poindexter actually has the highest average yards per catch at 18.1 yards? That is higher than both Goodwin and Pettis.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Matthews, Richie James, and Bourne all get cut. Remember, we're carrying 3 QB's this year so we'll have one less roster spot than normal.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If he was that highly regarded, they would have used a pick on him. Pretty much any UDFA will have a difficult time making this roster. This isn't 2017 anymore.

Highly regarded enough, shall we say? They couldn't have gone totally crazy to take 3 WRs in the draft. So, like I said they probably have a slight preference on Hurd. But, here is the thing, they never forgot about Poindexter or someone in the building is still pounding the table for him, otherwise why still pursue him? Also, let's not look at the UDFAs with a coloured lens, they are no different to a low rounder. Richie James is only a 7th rounder, so what? He is on the team, isn't he? That is how you find gems.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
Matthews, Richie James, and Bourne all get cut. Remember, we're carrying 3 QB's this year so we'll have one less roster spot than normal.

Why are we carrying 3 QBs this year?
Share 49ersWebzone