LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
GOODWIN is way overpaid... he doesn't run great routes and Pettis can do what he can..

Taylor fits the Pats type of slot receivers.. don't expect him to do more because he works best underneath.

Richie on the other hand can do both Goodwin and Taylor's strength..

so, let's do the process of elimination.

PETTIS makes it for sure (unless someone offers us a 1st rounder for whatever reason)
MATTHEWS will surprise everyone with what he can do and the fact that he's experienced.
RICHIE will man the slot while Deebo learns the offense.
TAYLOR runs the underneath pattern better than Richie at the moment and that's why he'll be kept.
DEEBO just because he's a 2nd rounder and that alone will get him a spot
HURD same reason as Deebos.

Agree with this list. Not sure why most people have us cutting Taylor. He had a very good rookie season and last year dealt with injuries. Very good slot corner that runs great routes which is what shanahan values.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Bear in mind, Shawn Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which drove Miles Austin to go down to Arizona to meet with him. The dude is 6'5", 218 lbs, looks good on film, I just don't see how you can take Trent Taylor over him. Trent Taylor is like a snail plus both Richie James and Deebo can play the slot already.

I got nothing from that highlight clip it's not just about pure speed with Taylor, it's his quickness and ability to get open fast. Different things

Really? Trent Taylor had 215 yards last season, quickness or otherwise. It isn't like we don't have options anymore. I just don't see how you can possibly build a case for a guy with 215 yards and 1 TD only. The only guy with less yards I would take over Taylor is Richie James because we only targeted him 14 times (vs 41 targets for Taylor), i.e. we didn't play him enough (only 13 games) and yet his average yard per catch is a massive 14.4 yards, way more than Taylor, not to mention James can return kicks too.

As for Poindexter, obviously I don't know how he will fare at the NFL level, but for what is worth, the dude had 759 yards, with a massive average of 18.1 yards per catch plus 11 TDs for Arizona. I would take his potential projection over Trent Taylor's 215 yards and 8.3 yards average any day.
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM ]
Really? Trent Taylor had 215 yards last season, quickness or otherwise. It isn't like we don't have options anymore. I just don't see how you can possibly build a case for a guy with 215 yards and 1 TD only. The only guy with less yards I would take over Taylor is Richie James because we only targeted him 14 times (vs 41 targets for Taylor), i.e. we didn't play him enough (only 13 games) and yet his average yard per catch is a massive 14.4 yards, way more than Taylor, not to mention James can return kicks too.

You do realize Taylor had back surgery, right? You're bringing up stats from a WR that was injured all of last yr.

Poindexter And Taylor wouldn't play the same we position....All I care about is WRs getting 1st Downs something Taylor was very good at (when healthy) and with our starting QB
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 28, 2019 at 5:13 PM ]
Maybe Poindexter makes it on the PS. The one starter from last yr who's probably got the best chance of getting cut is Bourne
GOODWIN is way overpaid... he doesn't run great routes and Pettis can do what he can..

Taylor fits the Pats type of slot receivers.. don't expect him to do more because he works best underneath.

Richie on the other hand can do both Goodwin and Taylor's strength..

so, let's do the process of elimination.

PETTIS makes it for sure (unless someone offers us a 1st rounder for whatever reason)
MATTHEWS will surprise everyone with what he can do and the fact that he's experienced.
RICHIE will man the slot while Deebo learns the offense.
TAYLOR runs the underneath pattern better than Richie at the moment and that's why he'll be kept.
DEEBO just because he's a 2nd rounder and that alone will get him a spot
HURD same reason as Deebos.

Can Pettis stay healthy because last year he was brittle and Shanny just likes to stretch the field too much to let go of Goodwin.
Hopefully all of our WRs who were not acquired this year or last year will be cut.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
You do realize Taylor had back surgery, right? You're bringing up stats from a WR that was injured all of last yr.

Poindexter And Taylor wouldn't play the same we position....All I care about is WRs getting 1st Downs something Taylor was very good at (when healthy) and with our starting QB

We already have Deebo and James for the slot. Taylor is a one trick pony without speed.

Sure Poindexter won't play the same position, but we are talking about a matter of head counts now. We have 13 WRs that we need to cut down to 6. And I just know how you can take Taylor over both Jordan Matthews and Shawn Poindexter.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Can Pettis stay healthy because last year he was brittle and Shanny just likes to stretch the field too much to let go of Goodwin.

If you are talking about being brittle, then Goodwin is even worse than Pettis. Goodwin only played 11 games.
If you are talking about being brittle, then Goodwin is even worse than Pettis. Goodwin only played 11 games.

Which is why you want multiple guys.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Which is why you want multiple guys.

That is crazy, we don't have that luxury unless you want to keep 7 WRs. Poindexter has the highest average yard per catch at 18.1 yards plus he has the size too. On top of that he never missed a game last year and had 11 TDs.

We already have Deebo and James for the slot. Taylor is a one trick pony without speed.

Sure Poindexter won't play the same position, but we are talking about a matter of head counts now. We have 13 WRs that we need to cut down to 6. And I just know how you can take Taylor over both Jordan Matthews and Shawn Poindexter.

Deebo isn't just a slot WR though...kyle played him outside all week at the senior bowl.

Jordan Matthews isn't making the roster, he's only got $300k in guaranteed cash. He's gone after Deebo and Hurd were drafted.

I get it you like a certain type of WR, issue is you're not the HC. He likes those quick shifty WRs I'm not looking at it based on what i want, but how our HC will most likely do it. Taylor when healthy was a stud 3rd down WR with JG. Is what it is
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 28, 2019 at 5:55 PM ]
That is crazy, we don't have that luxury unless you want to keep 7 WRs. Poindexter has the highest average yard per catch at 18.1 yards plus he has the size too. On top of that he never missed a game last year and had 11 TDs.

And Poindexter wasn't even drafted...you gotta get over the size crap, cause your gonna be let down over and over.

Dude has an uphill battle to make the team. That's just the truth of it
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
WELL, I'm a GOLD 49er fan.. which means that I all IN if it would be best for the team...

If Shawn " Bulls Eye " Poindexter is a Diamond in the Rough, he will and should be kept.. but you need to realize that Jimmy The Gift has played with Trent Taylor so he's got some kind of chemistry all ready.

Also, Taylor's snail like speed ( like you said ) should be the same reason why he'll toy around w/diff defenses the way Edelman did all these times.

The chemistry factor with Jimmy G shouldn't really be a big issue, chemistry can be built and developed. If indeed existing chemistry was a such a huge factor, then no one from last year's WR corps would be cut. I can see you have also excluded Goodwin, some have argued on his behalf from the standpoint of chemistry with Jimmy G too. I think at the end of the day, we just have to rate everyone fairly based purely on abilities alone if we want to end up with the best WRs that we can get in our WR corps.

IF that's the case, then Good should be the 1st one to go... he's done nothing since buying a house for his mom.. Buffalo didn't see him becoming a good WR, and neither do I..

That's just my opinion. .. to all his followers, Mods or not, take no offense..

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 4Tea9Ears:
Pettis
Goodwin
Deebo
Hurd
Taylor
James

I think they keep Bourne over Taylor

Taylor is versatile, he can punt and kick return.
IF that's the case, then Good should be the 1st one to go... he's done nothing since buying a house for his mom.. Buffalo didn't see him becoming a good WR, and neither do I..

That's just my opinion. .. to all his followers, Mods or not, take no offense..

And he was 38 yards shy of 1,000 yards in 2017, so I'll disagree that he's done nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone