LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by All22:
Matthews, Richie James, and Bourne all get cut. Remember, we're carrying 3 QB's this year so we'll have one less roster spot than normal.

Why are we carrying 3 QBs this year?

That was my question, lol.

Re: WRs, we'll put two or three on the PS. Do we carry five or six on the 53?

Edit: I forgot IR. We can carry a whole bunch of WRs, with only a couple subject to waivers.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on Apr 28, 2019 at 7:41 PM ]
Hopefully Goodwin. I've never seen someone act so cocky to the point you'd think he was Terrell Owens(talent wise) yet produce so little. Go join the olympics
This isn't a build your own 49er o based off your preferences discussion. We're talking what 6 receivers will Shanny keep so you should be seeing things thru his eyes. Goodwin is a very valuable chess piece to Shanny. Shanny likes pure speed. If we cut Goodwin we're starting to get iffy there.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 28, 2019 at 7:53 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
This isn't a build your own 49er o based off your preferences discussion. We're talking what 6 receivers will Shanny keep so you should be seeing things thru his eyes. Goodwin is a very valuable chess piece to Shanny. Shanny likes pure speed. If we cut Goodwin we're starting to get iffy there.

yeah I doubt we cut Goodwin but I think its probable that we trade him.

I have a feeling that if Goodwin isn't at least the number 2 WR, then he is going to throw a fit. I really like him and his story etc but he really should be a 3rd/4th option in our offense.

I think our starting 2 WR should be Pettis and Deebo - then between Goodwin/Hurd/Richie James (He brings Special Teams Value) and then between Trent Taylor and Kendrick Bourne.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

However, it is about picking the best 6 WRs. If Goodwin can't take the hits (which he can't) and as a result can't get on the field, it is totally irrelevant how fast he can run.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Maybe Poindexter makes it on the PS. The one starter from last yr who's probably got the best chance of getting cut is Bourne

Bourne is gone. Probably Richie james as well. Deebo can return kicks which was probably one of the reasons we selected him over AJ Brown. That and his ability to take handoffs and sweeps.

Think I would rather have DJ Reed return kick offs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Don't see anyway Goodwin gets cut. Nobody else on this offense comes close to his speed. Teams have to respect that by keeping a safety back. He's a lock. Having him on the field opens things up for everyone else.

Pettis, Samuel and Hurd are obviously all locks.

That leaves 2 spots open for everyone else

I think Taylor sticks because he is a reliable punt returner and 3rd down option. You really don't want Pettis as one of your top two WRs risking injury by returning punts. Unless he isn't recovered from his back injury, I see him as a lock.

I think James sticks because Kyle LOVES speed and James brings more of it than anyone else but Goodwin. I think he would also be your default kick returner. Deebo CAN return kicks but do you really want your early 2nd rounder out there risking injury when James can do the job just fine? Nah.

To me that leaves everyone else out in the cold.

Bourne-Solid #5 WR, nothing special, doesn't offer anything as a returner. Hasn't distinguished himself at all.

Matthews-Signed late in FA, one year deal, little guaranteed money, this front office has continually favored younger players(remember Kerley?) solid big slot but doesn't give you much else. Not a returner or special teams contributor. Hurd more or less takes over his role on this roster.

I agree with this. Don't see how Matthews makes the squad. Bourne may surprise. He seems to be good for the locker room and looks to work hard but he does nothing exceptional. I was rooting for him but I think he's the other odd man out. It'll be an interesting camp.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by All22:
Matthews, Richie James, and Bourne all get cut. Remember, we're carrying 3 QB's this year so we'll have one less roster spot than normal.

Why are we carrying 3 QBs this year?

WHY not carry that EXTRA WR if he's a better keep than the 3rd QB??

Jimmy has yet to become a deep ball artist, so Goodwin's speed wont help us that much.. Goodwin is more of a commodity than both Richie and Taylor, so maybe, just may be, we can convince the Chiefs to give us a 4th rounder (2020) and use his deep speed to replace Hill??

and if that happens, I do see see Matthews and Pettis on the outside while The Mousekeeters (Deebo - Richie - Taylor) work on the slot... then Hurd can work the mid-route which is perfect for his size and for Kittle to get the attentions of those FS and LBs.
I think James and Taylor will battle for a spot. James has the edge due to Taylor's bad back. Trading Taylor makes sense, but with any setbacks he'll likely go on the PUP list.

Mathews and Bourne will compete against one another. That'll be a close one, but I'd lean towards Mathews getting cut.

I think Jalen is going to be viewed as a TE, regardless of being listed a WR. Kittle and Hurd get a spot. Then, Celek will try to fight off Kaden Smith. Smith will probably go to the practice squad.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
IF that's the case, then Good should be the 1st one to go... he's done nothing since buying a house for his mom.. Buffalo didn't see him becoming a good WR, and neither do I..

That's just my opinion. .. to all his followers, Mods or not, take no offense..

And he was 38 yards shy of 1,000 yards in 2017, so I'll disagree that he's done nothing.

2017 was the year before your boy Goodwin purchase a house for his mom.. since then, he's been showing everyone why Buffalo gave up on him easily..

Either Richie or Taylor goes. Could probably trade Taylor to NE for something. They are used to Munchkins.
WHY not carry that EXTRA WR if he's a better keep than the 3rd QB??

Jimmy has yet to become a deep ball artist, so Goodwin's speed wont help us that much.. Goodwin is more of a commodity than both Richie and Taylor, so maybe, just may be, we can convince the Chiefs to give us a 4th rounder (2020) and use his deep speed to replace Hill??

and if that happens, I do see see Matthews and Pettis on the outside while The Mousekeeters (Deebo - Richie - Taylor) work on the slot... then Hurd can work the mid-route which is perfect for his size and for Kittle to get the attentions of those FS and LBs.

Honestly Goodwin would be an amazing fit for Kansas City. Him and mahommes would be a dangerous duo! I'm actually good with that trade.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Maybe Poindexter makes it on the PS. The one starter from last yr who's probably got the best chance of getting cut is Bourne

Bourne is gone. Probably Richie james as well. Deebo can return kicks which was probably one of the reasons we selected him over AJ Brown. That and his ability to take handoffs and sweeps.

Think I would rather have DJ Reed return kick offs.

Even more reason Richie James isn't making this team.
We keep

Goodwin
Pettis
Matthews
Bourne
Deebo
Hurd
Jimmy has yet to become a deep ball artist, so Goodwin's speed wont help us that much..

Jimmy goes balls deep all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone