There are 225 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Say goodbye to Bourne.
Originally posted by Rascal:
OK, let's do this again given we have added 2 more WRs amongst UDFAs.

Keep

• Deebo Samuel
  • Dante Pettis
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Jalen Hurd
  • Shawn Poindexter
  • Kendrick Bourne
  • Richie James

Cut

• Marquise Goodwin
  • Max McCaffrey
  • Trent Taylor
  • Jordan Smallwood
  • Steven Dunbar
  • Malik Henry

The only point of contention is Marquise Goodwin as some have commented. But, I happen to think Goodwin is too soft, can't take the hits and can't play through injuries. I would take both Bourne and James over him. James is shifty and Bourne has shown plenty of guts taking massive hits in the slot plus he can run after the catch too. I can't really comment on Smallwood, Dunbar and Henry other than I doubt they would be good enough. McCaffrey should have been cut long ago if not for preferential treatment because of family contact. All in all, the way I've shaped the WR corps is that I've given it much more size and physicality with guys like Hurd, Poindexter and Matthews. While at the same time I have kept a balance of shiftier guys like Deebo, James and Bourne. Oops, I forgot about Pettis. May be we can keep 7? If not, between Bourne and James, one will have to go.

LMAO at Poindexter making it over Goodwin and Taylor. How in the hell all 32 teams overlooked this 6'5 beast and his superb 18.5 avg per catch for all 7 rounds?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
LMAO at Poindexter making it over Goodwin and Taylor. How in the hell all 32 teams overlooked this 6'5 beast and his superb 18.5 avg per catch for all 7 rounds?

Is simple. It only takes one team. DK Metcalf fell, Hakeem Butler fell and even the draft/Webzone favourite AJ Brown also fell. What does that mean? It doesn't mean a damn thing, only time will tell who is right. You laughed at DK Metcalf, wouldn't it be funny if Pete Carroll could coach up the guy and every season Russell Wilson uses DK to carve up the 9ers? Who would be laughing then?

Take Jalen Hurd for example, some people like him and some don't. I have heard some negative comments from several analysts on the guy and said he was way overdrafted. Well, is he? I don't know that, but what I do know is this, if he works out then no one would ever talk about him being overdrafted. Is that simple.

So, onto Goodwin, I don't care how fast he can run or whether he wants to run in the Olympics, if he can't take the hits nothing else matters. Last year, the guy couldn't even top 400 yards and only played 11 games. Trent Taylor played 14 games and barely surpassed 200 yards at 215 yards. So, meanwhile you are laughing at Poindexter who had 759 yards and 11 TDs? I thought you were comparing Poindexter to Julio Jones!! Man, you made it sound like if Goodwin and Taylor were some HOF WRs. "LMAO" you say?? LOL.

Listen mate, let me tell you something, John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan didn't go out there to find so many WRs so that this year's WR corps will be the same as last year's. Is common sense!! You don't need to be a brain surgeon to know they know last year's WR corps just wasn't good enough. So, what did they do? They signed Jordan Matthews, drafted 2 x WRs back-to-back and even signed 2 more UDFA WRs. That was how extreme their moves were. This tells you this year's WR corps will look massively different.

So, who knows, Goodwin may well still make the team since he has a long-term contract unless we were to trade him. But, that wouldn't be my preference. As for Trent Taylor, I could be wrong, but I can tell you now I don't think he will make the team. Will Poindexter make the team? I don't know, but if he can play like the way he did last year (which triggered the high praise from our scout and led to Shanahan sending Miles Austin down to Arizona to meet with him), then I would definitely take him over Taylor or even Goodwin for that matter.
OK, let me just set the overarching premise and paint the big picture for you here.

Point No.1, obviously our brain trust including the HC aka Kyle Shanahan (which you have stressed) were not happy with last year's WR corps. They know full well they need to make a big step in year 3 and as such they know apart from beefing up the pass rush, they need to surround Jimmy G with better weapons. This is totally evident based on what they have done in this offseason. Let's think about that for a moment, they signed Jordan Matthews, drafted 2 x WRs back-to-back plus signing 2 more WRs amongst the UDFAs. That is how extreme their actions have been, in other words they ain't playing anymore. They are determined to make a major upgrade to our WR corps. Kyle has even come out to say a lot of good WRs will have to be cut.

So, what do you do? You decide to keep 4 of our WRs from last year in the new WR corps. Really? Are you serious? That almost defeats the purpose of what Lynch and Shanny have done. You have in effect only replaced 1 single WR from last year's WR corps, that being Kendrick Bourne. Really? Surely you can't be serious.

Let me tell you something. There is a reason why Lynch and Shanny went out to bring in so many WRs this offseason. I totally envisage this year's WR corps will look very different. Oh one more thing, you keep giving me crap about size. Hey, I got news for you, I am not John Lynch and I don't call the shots on 49ers' personnel decisions and yet they brought in not 1, not 2 but 3 big WRs, namely Matthews (6'3"), Hurd (6'4") and Poindexter (6'5'). Tell me something, why do you think they did that?? I don't know about you, common sense tells me they are putting more emphasis on size and physicality. And how can we not when our division rivals are upping their game in the arms race to bring in bigger and more powerful WRs? Seahawks drafted DK (6'3") and signed Jazz Ferguson (6'5") while the Cards drafted Hakeem Butler (6'6").

Oh, just to answer your question on Poindexter being a UDFA, they obviously couldn't draft him when we already took 2 WRs and perhaps they have a slight preference on Hurd than Poindexter. However, don't forget, Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which pushed us to send Miles Austin to fly all the way down to Arizona to meet with him and to check out his game. In other words, Poindexter isn't just some scrub they picked up amongst the UDFAs.

They drafted two WRs last yr and brought in a couple UDFAs as well...it's not like this was some new thing. Hurd is a special skill set and imo shouldn't be looked at as just a WR.

Again you have a certain mold you want at WR, YET our HC who's opinion kinda matters has a different view.

Jordan Matthews was brought in at the vet min, is always hurt, has been back in forth and is on his 4th team 6 yrs.

Yes he was so highly regarded that he wasn't drafted even though we had 3 6th rd picks. He was so highly regarded every football team passed on him.

Hope he makes the PS...that's what he needs to be shooting for.

Who cares what other teams draft? AZ ALSO drafted 5-8 Andy Isabella, Seattle ALSO has Lockett. We DID draft a 6-5 guy in Hurd. You gotta stop with the size crap
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Keeping:

Deebo Samuel
Dante Pettis
Jalen Hurd
Kendrick Bourne
Richie James
Marquise Goodwin
Trent Taylor
Is simple. It only takes one team. DK Metcalf fell, Hakeem Butler fell and even the draft/Webzone favourite AJ Brown also fell. What does that mean? It doesn't mean a damn thing, only time will tell who is right. You laughed at DK Metcalf, wouldn't it be funny if Pete Carroll could coach up the guy and every season Russell Wilson uses DK to carve up the 9ers? Who would be laughing then?

Take Jalen Hurd for example, some people like him and some don't. I have heard some negative comments from several analysts on the guy and said he was way overdrafted. Well, is he? I don't know that, but what I do know is this, if he works out then no one would ever talk about him being overdrafted. Is that simple.

So, onto Goodwin, I don't care how fast he can run or whether he wants to run in the Olympics, if he can't take the hits nothing else matters. Last year, the guy couldn't even top 400 yards and only played 11 games. Trent Taylor played 14 games and barely surpassed 200 yards at 215 yards. So, meanwhile you are laughing at Poindexter who had 759 yards and 11 TDs? I thought you were comparing Poindexter to Julio Jones!! Man, you made it sound like if Goodwin and Taylor were some HOF WRs. "LMAO" you say?? LOL.

Listen mate, let me tell you something, John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan didn't go out there to find so many WRs so that this year's WR corps will be the same as last year's. Is common sense!! You don't need to be a brain surgeon to know they know last year's WR corps just wasn't good enough. So, what did they do? They signed Jordan Matthews, drafted 2 x WRs back-to-back and even signed 2 more UDFA WRs. That was how extreme their moves were. This tells you this year's WR corps will look massively different.

So, who knows, Goodwin may well still make the team since he has a long-term contract unless we were to trade him. But, that wouldn't be my preference. As for Trent Taylor, I could be wrong, but I can tell you now I don't think he will make the team. Will Poindexter make the team? I don't know, but if he can play like the way he did last year (which triggered the high praise from our scout and led to Shanahan sending Miles Austin down to Arizona to meet with him), then I would definitely take him over Taylor or even Goodwin for that matter.

Why do you keep comparing college to pro stats? That's asinine.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Hurd aka Joe Williams 2.0

how so?
Once Goodwin goes to these Olympics, I think it is over.

Yes, he offers deep burner speed, but I don't know if it's worth putting up with him. Personal issues aside at the end of the day, he has not proven himself to be available.

You want guys on the roster 100% committed to football. Him flirting with this other crap, just doesn't fit with Lynch and Shanahan's mantra, IMO. Once you start seeing these other interests creep in, it is usually never a good sign. Reminds me of Vernon Davis and that Jamba Juice crap
Originally posted by Chief:
Keeping:

Deebo Samuel
Dante Pettis
Jalen Hurd
Kendrick Bourne
Richie James
Marquise Goodwin
Trent Taylor

Maybe they keep 7...I don't think it happens with all the RBs on the team. Bourne might be the odd man out.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
They drafted two WRs last yr and brought in a couple UDFAs as well...it's not like this was some new thing. Hurd is a special skill set and imo shouldn't be looked at as just a WR.

Again you have a certain mold you want at WR, YET our HC who's opinion kinda matters has a different view.

Jordan Matthews was brought in at the vet min, is always hurt, has been back in forth and is on his 4th team 6 yrs.

Yes he was so highly regarded that he wasn't drafted even though we had 3 6th rd picks. He was so highly regarded every football team passed on him.

Hope he makes the PS...that's what he needs to be shooting for.

Who cares what other teams draft? AZ ALSO drafted 5-8 Andy Isabella, Seattle ALSO has Lockett. We DID draft a 6-5 guy in Hurd. You gotta stop with the size crap

A 2nd and a 3rd is different to a 2nd and a 7th. You can sense the urgency and deliberateness. Tell me, when was the last time the 9ers drafted 2 WRs in back-to-back rounds this high before they even bothered touching DBs?

OK, so you are saying we have a HC who doesn't like big WRs, that's what you are saying right? That is precisely the point even as much as he doesn't like big WRs, he still brought in Jordan Matthews, Jalen Hurd and Shawn Poindexter. So much for having a major dislike for big WRs huh? LOL. Who knows, may be Miles Austin and Wes Welker's viewpoints might have shifted how Kyle Shanahan look at WRs?

Who cares about who the other teams drafted? We damn well should. Of course I am aware both the Seahawks and Cards have smaller burners too. But, the point to note is they no longer just have small WRs, they now have big outside WRs who can overpower and dominate our DBs. Pete Carroll even doubled down on his quest for bigger and more powerful WRs by signing Jazz Ferguson on top of DK. Listen mate, you need to pay more attention to big WRs cos they are coming and coming thick and fast.

I don't know why you keep giving me crap for liking bigger WRs. I don't know how many times I have heard analysts saying the 9ers need to go after bigger outside WRs who can help them improve their red zone success. I am far from being the only guy in this universe who wants the 9ers to go after bigger WRs. LOL.

Last but not least, after Lynch and Shanny have done so much work to upgrade our WR corps, you want them to keep 4 of the same WRs as last year out of a total of 6 WRs for this year's WR corps??!! Really?? Come on!!!! That makes zero sense. Garcon has gone, so you are only leaving out Kendrick Bourne.

I could be wrong, but I think this year's WR Corps will look very different to last year's. I think at the most they will keep 2 WRs from last year.

I am keeping my mind open to anyone they bring in. Jordan Matthews might have had a tough couple of years, but before that he had never dropped below 800 yards a season. Shawn Poindexter on the other hand is regarded as a potential gem in the rough. Unlike you, I will not just discard him automatically just because he is an UDFA. Overall, I will expect this year's WR Corps to be bigger and much more physical. Just look at Goodwin and Taylor, they totally couldn't handle it last year. And yes, both only weigh 180 lbs. Is time to try something different. Is year 3, we need to make a major step forward.

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Once Goodwin goes to these Olympics, I think it is over.

Yes, he offers deep burner speed, but I don't know if it's worth putting up with him. Personal issues aside at the end of the day, he has not proven himself to be available.

You want guys on the roster 100% committed to football. Him flirting with this other crap, just doesn't fit with Lynch and Shanahan's mantra, IMO. Once you start seeing these other interests creep in, it is usually never a good sign. Reminds me of Vernon Davis and that Jamba Juice crap

Goodwin doesn't have language in his contract to miss time for the Olympics. His 1st yr here he played what 15 or so games and had almost 1,000 yards? His role isn't that of a guy who gets 100 targets, but one who opens the field and can burn just about anyone in the league.

IF SF truly thought they were gonna move on from him, they would have drafted another burner (draft was full of them) They didn't.

Goodwin's roster spot is damn near a lock.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Why do you keep comparing college to pro stats? That's asinine.

You have to look at the available data in hand. To totally discard it and call it "asinine" is just disingenuous.
Originally posted by Chief:
Keeping:

Deebo Samuel
Dante Pettis
Jalen Hurd
Kendrick Bourne
Richie James
Marquise Goodwin
Trent Taylor

Lol we won't be keeping 7 wideouts.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Goodwin doesn't have language in his contract to miss time for the Olympics. His 1st yr here he played what 15 or so games and had almost 1,000 yards? His role isn't that of a guy who gets 100 targets, but one who opens the field and can burn just about anyone in the league.

IF SF truly thought they were gonna move on from him, they would have drafted another burner (draft was full of them) They didn't.

Goodwin's roster spot is damn near a lock.

The Niners can opt to let him go to the Olympics. It doesn't really matter what the contract says. He would just miss OTAs and some portion of training camp. The Bills let him go there with no problem. I'm sure if Goodwin begs enough, they'd let him go there, but I can't imagine Kyle being happy about it

And I disagree that just because they didn't draft his replacement, it means hes a roster lock. There's always alternatives. Like going after John Ross for example. If you REALLY wanted that burner badly. I wouldn't waste draft picks on it personally, since I don't think having a burner is that critical for this offense though.
A 2nd and a 3rd is different to a 2nd and a 7th. You can sense the urgency and deliberateness. Tell me, when was the last time the 9ers drafted 2 WRs in back-to-back rounds this high before they even bothered touching DBs?

OK, so you are saying we have a HC who doesn't like big WRs, that's what you are saying right? That is precisely the point even as much as he doesn't like big WRs, he still brought in Jordan Matthews, Jalen Hurd and Shawn Poindexter. So much for having a major dislike for big WRs huh? LOL. Who knows, may be Miles Austin and Wes Welker's viewpoints might have shifted how Kyle Shanahan look at WRs?

Who cares about who the other teams drafted? We damn well should. Of course I am aware both the Seahawks and Cards have smaller burners too. But, the point to note is they no longer just have small WRs, they now have big outside WRs who can overpower and dominate our DBs. Pete Carroll even doubled down on his quest for bigger and more powerful WRs by signing Jazz Ferguson on top of DK. Listen mate, you need to pay more attention to big WRs cos they are coming and coming thick and fast.

I don't know why you keep giving me crap for liking bigger WRs. I don't know how many times I have heard analysts saying the 9ers need to go after bigger outside WRs who can help them improve their red zone success. I am far from being the only guy in this universe who wants the 9ers to go after bigger WRs. LOL.

Last but not least, after Lynch and Shanny have done so much work to upgrade our WR corps, you want them to keep 4 of the same WRs as last year out of a total of 6 WRs for this year's WR corps??!! Really?? Come on!!!! That makes zero sense. Garcon has gone, so you are only leaving out Kendrick Bourne.

I could be wrong, but I think this year's WR Corps will look very different to last year's. I think at the most they will keep 2 WRs from last year.

I am keeping my mind open to anyone they bring in. Jordan Matthews might have had a tough couple of years, but before that he had never dropped below 800 yards a season. Shawn Poindexter on the other hand is regarded as a potential gem in the rough. Unlike you, I will not just discard him automatically just because he is an UDFA. Overall, I will expect this year's WR Corps to be bigger and much more physical. Just look at Goodwin and Taylor, they totally couldn't handle it last year. And yes, both only weigh 180 lbs. Is time to try something different. Is year 3, we need to make a major step forward.

I'm not saying he doesn't like big WRs....I'm saying you're not really looking at what he values, you're looking at what YOU value. Listen mate, you need to realize this league isn't the same league in the 90s. Speed, separation, and spreading the field thing now. Guys like Brandon Cooks, Hilton, AB, OBJ, Hill are who the NFL covets. Also, I care about who my teams has at DB when talking about other teams WRs. They have size across the board for that. FYI your boy DK dropped for a reason.....

Matthews is on a vet min deal. He's a pure big slot WR and we just got two guys that can play his position. He's gone more than likely.

Hurd ISN'T just a WR and if you listen to Kyle explain the pick you'll get it. Bringing in Poindexter or who ever the hell he is, doesn't change the mentality of what Kyle values. He also brought in Dunbar last yr who's a big WR that made it to the PS. That's who Poindexter will be battling this yr. If he makes the team cool, he's not gonna replace a slot WR BECAUSE he's not a slot WR. He will be replacing a guy like Bourne (if that even happens).

I keep giving you crap about loving big WRs BECAUSE that's all you talk about. You could careless if they can run a damn route lol and I keep telling you THAT IS what Kyle values. You're beating your head against a wall.

Great they did a lot of homework in a deep WR class...what the f**k does that have to do with who they keep? They drafted two guys, who they will keep. Poindexter will be trying to get snaps from Bourne, Matthews, and our PS WRs throughout TC. Different WRs have different roles. ya gotta understand that.
Share 49ersWebzone