There are 208 users in the forums

Niners sign PUNTER Justin Vogel

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does he have a torn ACL?
  • thl408
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I wonder if this guy handled kickoffs and did the placeholding while in Green Bay?
Mason Crosby threw him under the bus when explaining why he missed field goals. I used to joke about how Pinion was an all-pro holder, but I was only half kidding. Holding the ball with the laces out is half of what makes a successful field goal. The other halves being the snap and the kick. All three halfs have to work.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/07/packers-are-playing-a-dangerous-game-with-mason-crosbys-confidence/
"We got a little off track with the timing (of) the operation, and it just kind of snowballed on us there a little bit," Crosby said on Monday. "Things we've watched and talked about, but definitely we need to fix on the field. It all kind of unraveled there on Family Night with some of the snaps and getting the laces and getting the timing down."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/05/packers-kicker-mason-crosby-struggles-new-holder-snapper/543214001/
Vogel, the only punter in camp for the Packers, held at the University of Miami for three seasons and hasn't fumbled any of the snaps. But Crosby likes the ball held a certain way and Vogel wants to check the film to see if he's off a little bit.
"It's really a game of inches when you come down to it," Vogel said after the practice. "If I miss a spot by an inch or two and Mason thinks the ball is leaning more of an inside kick, it really could affect the kick.

Hopefully jonnydel can do some film work and give a breakdown on how consistent Vogel is at spinning the laces and tilt angle of the ball during the hold.
Originally posted by thl408:
I wonder if this guy handled kickoffs and did the placeholding while in Green Bay?
Mason Crosby threw him under the bus when explaining why he missed field goals. I used to joke about how Pinion was an all-pro holder, but I was only half kidding. Holding the ball with the laces out is half of what makes a successful field goal. The other halves being the snap and the kick. All three halfs have to work.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/07/packers-are-playing-a-dangerous-game-with-mason-crosbys-confidence/
"We got a little off track with the timing (of) the operation, and it just kind of snowballed on us there a little bit," Crosby said on Monday. "Things we've watched and talked about, but definitely we need to fix on the field. It all kind of unraveled there on Family Night with some of the snaps and getting the laces and getting the timing down."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/05/packers-kicker-mason-crosby-struggles-new-holder-snapper/543214001/
Vogel, the only punter in camp for the Packers, held at the University of Miami for three seasons and hasn't fumbled any of the snaps. But Crosby likes the ball held a certain way and Vogel wants to check the film to see if he's off a little bit.
"It's really a game of inches when you come down to it," Vogel said after the practice. "If I miss a spot by an inch or two and Mason thinks the ball is leaning more of an inside kick, it really could affect the kick.

Hopefully jonnydel can do some film work and give a breakdown on how consistent Vogel is at spinning the laces and tilt angle of the ball during the hold.

Sooo... Mason Crosby is Ray Finkle?
Is he a lefty?

I find it fascinating that Belichick keeps a lefty punter for the counter-spin they put on the ball. This presents an extra challenge for punt returners who aren't used to receiving a ball spinning in the opposite direction. This f**king guy thinks about every little advantage lmao.
  • dj43

Good point about the positioning of the ball. If it is a little too upright or leaning a little too much right or left, the kick will not go where it should. Details.

I remember Joe Montana holding for Ray Wersching back in those days. As they were setting up, Ray would always pat Joe on the shoulder and say, "Help me now."

Once a reporter asked Joe why he held the ball (instead of the punter) and Joe said, "It would fall down if I didn't." It was kinda funny but Joe also later said that Ray was insistent on Joe holding because he always put the ball in the same exact place every time.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Perfect stopgap while we wait for Braden Mann. Great signing
So much this!!
You're blowing my mind right now with that new fangled math!
I think this is my problem with portion control, I always eat all three halves of my meal...
Originally posted by Spike1000:
I think this is my problem with portion control, I always eat all three halves of my meal...

All that guilt put on us as kids: "There are starving kids in Africa"

Thl and johnydel see things the rest of us common fans dont. If he says its 3 half's, Im good with it.
pro bowl alternate punter?

*Mod Edit*

Trent Brown is that you?
I just remember Pinions' dumbass shanking a much needed big yarder for 30 yards two weeks in a row.
Originally posted by frozen49er:

Thl and johnydel see things the rest of us common fans dont. If he says its 3 half's, Im good with it.
True, I feel like I'm always learning something new from them, football plays, fractions, everything!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Trent Brown is that you?
If I was don't you think I would be out spending that cheddar instead of on the zone? I would definitely at least be up to 5 halves!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Trent Brown is that you?
If I was don't you think I would be out spending that cheddar instead of on the zone? I would definitely at least be up to 5 halves!
lol.
Share 49ersWebzone