• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I was hoping that solomon thomas could be the punter

no,. acorn head is saving either ford or bosa for that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Good point about the positioning of the ball. If it is a little too upright or leaning a little too much right or left, the kick will not go where it should. Details.

I remember Joe Montana holding for Ray Wersching back in those days. As they were setting up, Ray would always pat Joe on the shoulder and say, "Help me now."

Once a reporter asked Joe why he held the ball (instead of the punter) and Joe said, "It would fall down if I didn't." It was kinda funny but Joe also later said that Ray was insistent on Joe holding because he always put the ball in the same exact place every time.

back in the day. the qb held the ball for most teams. at one time steve spurrier was a very good punter for us
His name reminds me of that child molester that used to be the spokesperson for subway
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Mar 19, 2019 at 5:44 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Make Breida be the holder so all 4 running backs can be active.
Waste of a roster spot. We won't have to punt all year.
Didn't kickoff in Green Bay and they dropped him for JK Scott who they took in the 5th round. Apparently he caught the blame for Crosby missing a few kicks.
Rookie long snapper Taybor Pepper admitted that his snaps were not good enough and caused timing issues with both of the misses against the Cowboys.

Pepper said that he compounded the first mistake with an adjustment that caused the second mistake

"You just have to be uber aware of everything your body is doing," he said. "Same thing with kicking. If you're off by a centimeter with the ball, on a kick, that's 5 feet either way. On a snap, if your finger is a centimeter the wrong way then it's 6 inches in the wrong spot or the spiral's off."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/10/12/packers-notes-mason-crosby-cites-rhythm-issues-missed-kicks/759852001/

Don't forget about the rookie snapper.
I dont care if he can kick off or how he holds the ball for FGs. Can he punt the ball inside the 10 yard line like a punter is supposed to do? I was hoping we would sign a former rugby kicker to handle the punting duties. They seem to excel at dropping the ball inside the 10 with ease.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I dont care if he can kick off or how he holds the ball for FGs. Can he punt the ball inside the 10 yard line like a punter is supposed to do? I was hoping we would sign a former rugby kicker to handle the punting duties. They seem to excel at dropping the ball inside the 10 with ease.

Hopefully one available late in draft or as udfa as competition.
mitch wishnowsy

Originally posted by cciowa:
back in the day. the qb held the ball for most teams. at one time steve spurrier was a very good punter for us

I prefer having a QB be the holder. Gives you an advantage if the play is broken. Ty Detmer held the ball when he played for us and had that happen in a game against the Patriots (hit Irv Smith for a TD on a bad snap FG).
Originally posted by Spike1000:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoNBCS
The #49ers signed P Justin Vogel, who had a great rookie season with Packers in 2017. He had 44.4 gross and 41.6 net average. But he was replaced last year in place of a rookie and didn't catch on anywhere else.

Why though?

We need a punter - Pinion signed with another team.
I think KittleSkittle may mean why didn't Vogel catch on anywhere. KittleSkittle is that a correct reading?

Yes, that is the correct reading, Spike1000.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Didn't kickoff in Green Bay and they dropped him for JK Scott who they took in the 5th round. Apparently he caught the blame for Crosby missing a few kicks.

And then Crosby missed 4 FGs and an extra point against the Lions this season. Maybe it wasn't the holder. Lol
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by cciowa:

I prefer having a QB be the holder. Gives you an advantage if the play is broken. Ty Detmer held the ball when he played for us and had that happen in a game against the Patriots (hit Irv Smith for a TD on a bad snap FG).

A lot of teams started ditching that when Romo blew it for the cowboys against Seattle in the playoffs. He was their back up and handled the holder duties. Then he became the starter but was still holding for kicks. Teams decided it was better for the kickers to just work together full time.
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/41832/packers-turn-to-third-long-snapper-of-the-season-derek-hart

A rough situation for a rookie holder.
Share 49ersWebzone