There are 220 users in the forums

Cap casualties - who is getting cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Bourne,Taylor T. J Taylor no way they they get cut you don`t cut Bourne He had 4 Red-Zone TDs,He`s solid...J Taylor is an up and coming DLineman and T.Taylor has a whole season to Heal correctly so those 3 are`nt going anywhere..sorry NC.

My man, you need to raise your standards to 49ers way. Taylor is a 5th rounder with a broken back, Bourne is an UDFA, Taylor is a 7th, etc. These are players you can EASILY replace. Easily.
Originally posted by NCommand:
My man, you need to raise your standards to 49ers way. Taylor is a 5th rounder with a broken back, Bourne is an UDFA, Taylor is a 7th, etc. These are players you can EASILY replace. Easily.

Taylor is probably the best slot WR they have.

Bourne was productive when given an opportunity. He's not a super stud but he is serviceable.

Julian Taylor is probably better Soloman Thomas. If Taylor got as much playing time as Thomas did, Taylor would probably yield better results.

Those three players are not the problem for this team. The 49ers have a WHOLE LOT of other issues before they could worry about letting Taylor, Taylor, and Bourne go.
Originally posted by dj43:
Have you compared what "all the guys at the top" are being paid in comparison to what similar players are getting?

Do some research. Check overthecap.com and PFF ratings for individual categories. You may be surprised or you may just be informed.

Does it really matter if other players are over paid too??
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Bottom line is there's so much dead weight on this team.
I think no matter what, if you can't stay healthy you gone.
Including guys like Marquise Goodwin and Matt Brieda.
Sorry we need guys that are available.

Harsh, but probably true. Breida especially. I feel like he is just a product of our system, if anything. The fact that we plugged in just about any random RB in there and seemed to do okay was pretty fascinating.
Bourne,Taylor T. J Taylor no way they they get cut you don`t cut Bourne He had 4 Red-Zone TDs,He`s solid...J Taylor is an up and coming DLineman and T.Taylor has a whole season to Heal correctly so those 3 are`nt going anywhere..sorry NC.

No my standards are just fine,I see those players differently then you do,As the Maid on Family Guy says No No No Bourne,Taylor and Taylor stays No cut...
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Feb 3, 2019 at 9:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Harsh, but probably true. Breida especially. I feel like he is just a product of our system, if anything. The fact that we plugged in just about any random RB in there and seemed to do okay was pretty fascinating.

Brieda had a very good college career and a good year this yyear and yet,He`s Dead weight
  • dj43
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by dj43:
Have you compared what "all the guys at the top" are being paid in comparison to what similar players are getting?

Do some research. Check overthecap.com and PFF ratings for individual categories. You may be surprised or you may just be informed.

Does it really matter if other players are over paid too??

Market value rules.

so who is replacing these guys if they get cut? Are we seriously gonna draft another small slot receiver and big end? Please tell me you're not insinuating that. I know Shanahan and Saleh are frothing at the mouth at the idea of doing it again though.

I'm okay with cutting Jullian if Kentavius Street beats him out or whatever. Bourne could get cut, but it depends on if we even address the WR position this season which is looking like a no to me. I still think AB is a pipe dream. And I'd be very surprised if Kyle drafts a big bodied WR in the 2nd round, since its not his MO. We probably not going to address WR in free agency, since its mostly pretty meh.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Brieda had a very good college career and a good year this yyear and yet,He`s Dead weight

Zone logic, no doubt Breida is legit. I have more confidence in him than I do McKinnon. Kids tougher than he gets credit for, played injured practically all season in a hopeless situation.

Love me some Breida can't wait to see him healthy next season.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For those of you who are blaming Lynch don't forget that it's Parag that does the contracts. Lynch brings in the players but he doesn't decide who gets paid what. One other thing to keep in mind. He's inexperienced but that doesn't mean he won't get better. How many of you were great at your job the first year or two compared to 4 or 5 years later.

Not sure I agree completely. For one, Paraag is good at his job. Most of our guys are on team friendly deals. Lynch asks him to negotiate, but Paraag doesn't pick the players. Lynch has openly stated that they had to overpay to fill in lots of holes. And this is why we are now able to cut so many of these guys, because we front loaded contracts.
I agree with you virtually everyone should get better in year 5 doing a job. But it's where you begin. A CEO doesnt get a 2 year pass because he or she is learning the job. Lynch shouldn't either. I am sure he will get better. But I do think he started from a very low base and frankly too inexperienced and some mistakes were made. Future still looks bright imo.

Mitchell is gone, I see Garçon, need a better younger more dynamic playmaker, Marsh, assuming 2nd puck is a pass rusher and a vet signed, Marsh is not worth his price, And Gilliam, Coleman I hope is ready to step in as the Swing T should be cut too, Malcolm Smith maybe, depends Bc he's not bad depth, assuming the niners sign a starter at ILB..
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

The worst contracts I see are Garcon, Malcolm Smith, Cassius Marsh and Garry Gilliam. That would save about 15 mil off our cap, if I'm reading that right.

A player that might be more controversial is Arik Armstead. He's a very good run stopper, but 9 mil for a run stopping DE? Cutting him would shave another whopping 9 mil off the cap that we could instead throw at a top free agent.

The 49ers seem to be an attractive destination for FAs at the moment, time to cash in on getting some TOP talent and enough of this cassius marsh /malcolm smith crap.

Gracon and Smith IMO will be designated post June 1st cuts to spread out that dead money...So their cap relief won't affect us in spending cash in FA this yr (could go towards a certain all-pro WR in a trade to balance out his cap hit )

Like you said most obvious guys are Gilliam, Marsh (who only have team options) & Mitchell is already gone.

I think Garrett Celek and Watson might be shown the door (another $3.6 million in savings). Not sure what they do with Shon Coleman? He's on a team option as well ($2 million in savings).

I'm trying to think of the last 5th yr option player to get his option rescinded? I'm guessing the keep AA on that deal and let it play out...they did the same s**t with Ward who's a worse player.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 4, 2019 at 6:41 AM ]

With what more draft picks and UDFAs? Dude you gotta put together a 53 man roster...not every play is gonna be a super star and depth is important. All those guys are young, still developing, and are dirt cheap. Moving on from them doesn't make much sense IMO.

We need some competition at the ZWR spot (Bourne), but imo we're fine at slot with Taylor/James/even Pettis and Goodwin can do some of that. J Taylor is a raw rookie with upside and there's a bunch of competition going on at big end all ready.

There's some guys that can be cut, we have depth just need a couple studs.
For the love of God, please cut Garnett and Armstead.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
For the love of God, please cut Garnett and Armstead.

Why Armstead? explain this one.

i'd say Tomlinson is still my least favorite OL.

I'd say Tartt, or give him one last season to see if he can stay healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone