LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Cap casualties - who is getting cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Additionally, this past seasons cut down was a lot more difficult than years past. My assumption is that this coming season's will be even more difficult. We all know it and need to remind ourselves, this past years' catastrophe of a season had more to do with major injuries than a sheer lack of talent. I definitely think a lack of DEPTH was/is a problem. That is where overall better starters and quality picks will come in key.

Yup...the injuries the past two years, have actually forced the hand of developing depth. I think we have some depth now. Now we need to add impact players and high level starters above them.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Which he has failed MISERABLY at. How many potential cap casualties from your list is from the John Lynch era, 75 percent?

And all the guys at the top are grossly over paid

I guess that's what you get when you hire a broadcaster to be a General Manager.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Um, you are aware the team has already said they are NOT bringing back Garcon and Mitchell, right?

The rest are a list of potential cuts...and happen for every team, every year.

But yeah, your overall point about needing to ADD talent is key. That's John Lynch's sole job. He's got to add a ton more talent to make next year's list harder on cut down day. 95% of these are too easy.

Which he has failed MISERABLY at. How many potential cap casualties from your list is from the John Lynch era, 75 percent?

Well, 90%+ of the roster is ShanaLynch's so that would make sense.

He is REALLY bad at his job.
For those of you who are blaming Lynch don't forget that it's Parag that does the contracts. Lynch brings in the players but he doesn't decide who gets paid what. One other thing to keep in mind. He's inexperienced but that doesn't mean he won't get better. How many of you were great at your job the first year or two compared to 4 or 5 years later.
Originally posted by GMniner805:

I guess that's what you get when you hire a broadcaster to be a General Manager.

Well, another way to look at it might be this way:

Almost all of these guys (the 1M+ crew) were upgrades when we signed them.

Now they are roster trash. So maybe the roster is getting better and we're expecting more? So maybe the rebuild is on track?
A whole bunch of these guys (post-June cuts).

2019 Cap Cuts/Savings:
Pierre Garcon $5.88M
Garry Gilliam $5.05M
Cassius Marsh $4.2M
Malcolm Smith $4.05M
Earl Mitchell $3.7M
Brock Coyle $2.5M
Garrett Celek $2.1M
Dekoda Watson $1.55M
C.J. BeatHard $786K
Trent Taylor $645K
Matt Dayes $645K
James Onwualu $645K
Kendrick Bourne $645K
Colin Holba $645K
Ryan Delaire $645K
Pita Taumoepenu $645K
Godwin Igwebuike $570K
Jullian Taylor $570K
Kapron Lewis-Moore $565K
Max McCaffrey $565K
Tyree Robinson $565K
Ross Dwelley $565K
Najee Toran $565K
Marcus Lucas $495K
Christian Dilauro $495K
Jordan Smallwood $495K
Steven Dunbar $495K
Terrell Williams $495K
Tarvarus McFadden $495K
Emmanuel Moseley $495K
J.P. Flynn $495K

Bourne,Taylor T. J Taylor no way they they get cut you don`t cut Bourne He had 4 Red-Zone TDs,He`s solid...J Taylor is an up and coming DLineman and T.Taylor has a whole season to Heal correctly so those 3 are`nt going anywhere..sorry NC.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Have you compared what "all the guys at the top" are being paid in comparison to what similar players are getting?

Do some research. Check overthecap.com and PFF ratings for individual categories. You may be surprised or you may just be informed.
The bottom half of the list are guys that might survive because of their salaries as depth. I have to believe the Taylors and Bourne have a shot to stick.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

The worst contracts I see are Garcon, Malcolm Smith, Cassius Marsh and Garry Gilliam. That would save about 15 mil off our cap, if I'm reading that right.

A player that might be more controversial is Arik Armstead. He's a very good run stopper, but 9 mil for a run stopping DE? Cutting him would shave another whopping 9 mil off the cap that we could instead throw at a top free agent.

The 49ers seem to be an attractive destination for FAs at the moment, time to cash in on getting some TOP talent and enough of this cassius marsh /malcolm smith crap.

I see Garcon, Smith and Gilliam are

Marsh will stay unless they can get a VG FA

AA isn't going anywhere
Bottom line is there's so much dead weight on this team.
I think no matter what, if you can't stay healthy you gone.
Including guys like Marquise Goodwin and Matt Brieda.
Sorry we need guys that are available.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For those of you who are blaming Lynch don't forget that it's Parag that does the contracts. Lynch brings in the players but he doesn't decide who gets paid what. One other thing to keep in mind. He's inexperienced but that doesn't mean he won't get better. How many of you were great at your job the first year or two compared to 4 or 5 years later.

Good post man!

JL did fine in getting JG, McG, Pettis, Gould and others.
Ward better not sniff this roster in 2019.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Bottom line is there's so much dead weight on this team.
I think no matter what, if you can't stay healthy you gone.
Including guys like Marquise Goodwin and Matt Brieda.
Sorry we need guys that are available.

Really Goodwin And Brieda need to be gone Brieda damn near had a 1000 yards and PLAYED INJURED but yeah he needs to be gone.....WOW
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Malcolm Smith can't stay healthy, and is over paid. Only way I will take Smith back, is if he takes a HUGE PAY CUT. AA and Garcon need to be traded for any pick we can get, and if no picks are there, they need to be cut. Gilliam and Marsh are NO BRAINER cuts, they have no dead money attached to them, and are scheduled to make far more than they are worth. I would shop Garnett for a draft pick, but if we can't get one, he is good enough to stay.

he actually stayed healthy all last year. He missed '17
Since Earl already got cut, I would say Garcon and that's about it in terms of defiantly getting cut. The rest we will wait and see.
Share 49ersWebzone