LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Cap casualties - who is getting cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

The worst contracts I see are Garcon, Malcolm Smith, Cassius Marsh and Garry Gilliam. That would save about 15 mil off our cap, if I'm reading that right.

A player that might be more controversial is Arik Armstead. He's a very good run stopper, but 9 mil for a run stopping DE? Cutting him would shave another whopping 9 mil off the cap that we could instead throw at a top free agent.

The 49ers seem to be an attractive destination for FAs at the moment, time to cash in on getting some TOP talent and enough of this cassius marsh /malcolm smith crap.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Feb 3, 2019 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

The worst contracts I see are Garcon, Malcolm Smith, Cassius Marsh and Garry Gilliam. That would save about 15 mil off our cap, if I'm reading that right.

A player that might be more controversial is Arik Armstead. He's a very good run stopper, but 9 mil for a run stopping DE? Cutting him would shave another whopping 9 mil off the cap that we could instead throw at a top free agent.

The 49ers seem to be an attractive destination for FAs at the moment, time to cash in on getting some TOP talent and enough of this cassius marsh /malcolm smith crap.

I dont think smith gets cut. They have no other linebackers besides Warner. Everyone else from your list can kick rocks. How about Garnett? Can we please cut him too?
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Feb 3, 2019 at 7:48 AM ]
Malcolm Smith can't stay healthy, and is over paid. Only way I will take Smith back, is if he takes a HUGE PAY CUT. AA and Garcon need to be traded for any pick we can get, and if no picks are there, they need to be cut. Gilliam and Marsh are NO BRAINER cuts, they have no dead money attached to them, and are scheduled to make far more than they are worth. I would shop Garnett for a draft pick, but if we can't get one, he is good enough to stay.
A whole bunch of these guys (post-June cuts).

2019 Cap Cuts/Savings:
Pierre Garcon $5.88M
Garry Gilliam $5.05M
Cassius Marsh $4.2M
Malcolm Smith $4.05M
Earl Mitchell $3.7M
Brock Coyle $2.5M
Garrett Celek $2.1M
Dekoda Watson $1.55M
C.J. BeatHard $786K
Trent Taylor $645K
Matt Dayes $645K
James Onwualu $645K
Kendrick Bourne $645K
Colin Holba $645K
Ryan Delaire $645K
Pita Taumoepenu $645K
Godwin Igwebuike $570K
Jullian Taylor $570K
Kapron Lewis-Moore $565K
Max McCaffrey $565K
Tyree Robinson $565K
Ross Dwelley $565K
Najee Toran $565K
Marcus Lucas $495K
Christian Dilauro $495K
Jordan Smallwood $495K
Steven Dunbar $495K
Terrell Williams $495K
Tarvarus McFadden $495K
Emmanuel Moseley $495K
J.P. Flynn $495K
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 3, 2019 at 8:47 AM ]
Garcon and Gilliam need to gtfo. Arik as well if he doesn't want to be franchised or take less.
there are guys in that list i didnt hear about before
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Bobdawg78.
You really think all those guys will be cut NCommand?
[ Edited by Bobdawg78 on Feb 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:

Yes he does, rebuild the rebuild!

I would doubt all of them, but probably everyone who makes 1m+ on that list, or at least I would hope so. Some of the others may stick around as role players or developmental prospects.
Originally posted by NCommand:
A whole bunch of these guys (post-June cuts).

2019 Cap Cuts/Savings:
Pierre Garcon $5.88M
Garry Gilliam $5.05M
Cassius Marsh $4.2M
Malcolm Smith $4.05M
Earl Mitchell $3.7M
Brock Coyle $2.5M
Garrett Celek $2.1M
Dekoda Watson $1.55M
C.J. BeatHard $786K
Trent Taylor $645K
Matt Dayes $645K
James Onwualu $645K
Kendrick Bourne $645K
Colin Holba $645K
Ryan Delaire $645K
Pita Taumoepenu $645K
Godwin Igwebuike $570K
Jullian Taylor $570K
Kapron Lewis-Moore $565K
Max McCaffrey $565K
Tyree Robinson $565K
Ross Dwelley $565K
Najee Toran $565K
Marcus Lucas $495K
Christian Dilauro $495K
Jordan Smallwood $495K
Steven Dunbar $495K
Terrell Williams $495K
Tarvarus McFadden $495K
Emmanuel Moseley $495K
J.P. Flynn $495K

This list is ridiculous. It also speaks volumes how high quality FA rarely hit the open market. See the Garcon and Mallcom Smith contract to see how the niners overpaid for aging players. I also am not a fan of trading for an aging WR above 30.

Earl Mitchell cannot be cut because they are not picking up his option, so he is gone.
Getting rid of Trent Taylor makes zero sense. Our WR core needs his quick burst, he would go to the Pats and dominate
While not a CJ Beathard fan, why not keep him for the low dollar amount, he would be competition for the 4th qb they draft or sign in FA.

While I am not a fan of overpaying the niners do NOT spend to the cap anyways. The team is better with Garcon, AA, Malcom Smith. We need to stop this continuos tearing down and not building back up. We need to keep moving forward, with less draft picks this year, it will be hard to replace a lot of the players you are saying to cut.

Originally posted by 9erred:
This list is ridiculous. It also speaks volumes how high quality FA rarely hit the open market. See the Garcon and Mallcom Smith contract to see how the niners overpaid for aging players. I also am not a fan of trading for an aging WR above 30.

Earl Mitchell cannot be cut because they are not picking up his option, so he is gone.
Getting rid of Trent Taylor makes zero sense. Our WR core needs his quick burst, he would go to the Pats and dominate
While not a CJ Beathard fan, why not keep him for the low dollar amount, he would be competition for the 4th qb they draft or sign in FA.

While I am not a fan of overpaying the niners do NOT spend to the cap anyways. The team is better with Garcon, AA, Malcom Smith. We need to stop this continuos tearing down and not building back up. We need to keep moving forward, with less draft picks this year, it will be hard to replace a lot of the players you are saying to cut.

Um, you are aware the team has already said they are NOT bringing back Garcon and Mitchell, right?

The rest are a list of potential cuts...and happen for every team, every year.

But yeah, your overall point about needing to ADD talent is key. That's John Lynch's sole job. He's got to add a ton more talent to make next year's list harder on cut down day. 95% of these are too easy.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 3, 2019 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Yes he does, rebuild the rebuild!

LOL...the mass majority, yes. But we need to fill out 90 so expect a lot of these guys to be replaced with similar players...bodies.
Um, you are aware the team has already said they are NOT bringing back Garcon and Mitchell, right?

But yeah, your overall point about needing to ADD talent is key. That's John Lynch's sole job. He's got to add a ton more talent to make next year's list harder on cut down day. 95% of these are too easy.

Additionally, this past seasons cut down was a lot more difficult than years past. My assumption is that this coming season's will be even more difficult. We all know it and need to remind ourselves, this past years' catastrophe of a season had more to do with major injuries than a sheer lack of talent. I definitely think a lack of DEPTH was/is a problem. That is where overall better starters and quality picks will come in key.

Which he has failed MISERABLY at. How many potential cap casualties from your list is from the John Lynch era, 75 percent?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Which he has failed MISERABLY at. How many potential cap casualties from your list is from the John Lynch era, 75 percent?

Well, 90%+ of the roster is ShanaLynch's so that would make sense.
Share 49ersWebzone