LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Are Kyle/John building the 9ers the Rams way...or the PATS way?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Consider the article in this weekend's edition WSJ by Andrew Beaton:

RAMS

Have 7 players with deals of over $10 mil/yr and 5 of those were in last two seasons.

WR Cooks $81 mil

DT Aaron Donald held out for $135 mil

OT Rob Havenstein extended for big dough

DBs Marcus Peters AND Aquib Talib got big bucks

DT Ndomukong Suh got big bucks

RB Gurley got $60 mil extension

And QB Goff? Got the standard 5 yr rookie deal...that's how the Rams could afford to do it.

PATS

QB Brady gets $20 mil and only ONE other player gets more then $10 mil

DB Stephon Gilmore ~$10 mil

Bellichik just doesn't sign big name , big $$ guys. Two yrs ago when BB needed an elite target for Brady, he signed Brandin Cooks...for $2mil . Cooks was 2 yrs away from his money yr. So BB rented him for a yr for Brady on the cheap. After one yr, Cooks wanted his money so BB traded him to Rams who now needed an elite target for Goff...for their #1 WR.. And Rams paid Cooks $81 mil .

Rams spent money to get the best talent. PATs have all lower paid guys except at qB and DB.

So question is are we going to build like the RAMS...or like the PATS? Well, we already have our FR QB (from BB) but we paid him $137 mil. So we can't be like the Rams, with the low paid QB.. We already exceed the PATS QB by roughly $10 mil/yr, altho there was a big front load payment.

No matter what we do, we cannot build like PATS because our QB is already making 5x the Rams QBs...and worse, $10 mil more /yr than Brady(assuming no front load). So how does this get handled by F.O? Next yr they will have to pay Buck, this yr they are already wasting $10 mil on RIchburg.

Because of the money already spent on JimmyG, we can't build like the PATs. We have to build like the RAMS. The fact we have misspent money already, makes one wonder if we can ever get back in competition. Goff is still 3 yrs away from getting paid, so maybe we have to wait for him to be top dollar guy, but it does make it look like we are in a bind for the next 3 yrs.

I guess if we got lucky and hit big in FA with a starter LB, 2-3 DB starters, and an ER second tier, and then get Bosa or Q in draft , plus filling out whatever holes we didn't fill in FA...we could be competitive. But that is a long shot.

Fact is we are building slowly but unlike the RAMs who did have a lot of talent when McVay arrived...they built fast...and spent huge money. But having turned over 43 of our 45 guys, we have a long row to hoe. Timewise, kyle and john were smart to get 6 yr deals....and...

Now i see why. So we are building like the RAMs but cannot match what they have done due to Goff's vs JimmyGs contract. Are we really 3 yrs away ...still?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:31 PM ]
Rams strategy is good for the now while the Patriots' strategy is designed to be competitive every year for the long run. There needs to be a balance between the two. Trying to do it exactly like the Patriots is nearly impossible. Not only is Belichick a brilliant coach, but he also drafts incredibly well. And when they do miss on a pick, he cuts his losses ASAP. He isn't too proud to bite the bullet and admit he was wrong. He's also adept at identifying underdeveloped talent on other teams, acquiring it at a bargain price, and then coaching the player up to his potential.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Rams strategy is good for the now while the Patriots' strategy is designed to be competitive every year for the long run. There needs to be a balance between the two. Trying to do it exactly like the Patriots is nearly impossible. Not only is Belichick a brilliant coach, but he also drafts incredibly well. And when they do miss on a pick, he cuts his losses ASAP. He isn't too proud to bite the bullet and admit he was wrong. He's also adept at identifying underdeveloped talent on other teams, acquiring it at a bargain price, and then coaching the player up to his potential.

Excellent post, but two things

Bolded = Rueben Foster & Joe Williams

Bold italics = Marquise Goodwin & Mike Person
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM ]
What's option C?
I don't see 49ers resembling either.
There are 30 other teams out there and we resemble the worst 2, in fact we are one of the worst two, so I see very little semblance to either teams in the SB.

Very odd article when the Pats have been winning & going to SB's for last what, 18 years..
Last year, Philly added quite a bit of talent in FA and went and won the SB.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jan 27, 2019 at 4:19 PM ]
Hopefully the Pats way with Kyle and Jimmy being here for a long time and very good at what they do...with Jimmy marrying some model who's making bank so he can take constant home town discounts.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Excellent post, but two things

Bolded = Rueben Foster & Joe Williams

Bold italics = Marquise Goodwin & Mike Person

Good point.
Seems like they're doing it the browns way atm.

Also the pats way is there because of both BB and them being set at QB the past like 12 years.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Jan 27, 2019 at 6:07 PM ]
IMO it's kind of the Mike Shanahan way. Their blueprint is based on a strong run game, smart play calling, and a steady defense. They generally seek scheme fits on offense and overall talent on defense. Not afraid to spend if it matches the blueprint.
I am beginning to wonder if the JimmyG deal was misread by a good many of us. The conventional wisdom has been that Brady didn't like JG breathing down his neck and told Mr Kraft , "Hey, it's him or me...you pick'''. So BB did us a good turn and "traded" us his prize pupil , ready to take over the minute Brady hangs 'em up. That's CW.

But what if what really went down was something posited way back when, namely, BB knew he couldn't be paying a non playing backup, even tho he was NFL ready, $17 mil /yr , same or slightly more than Brady. Why? Well not what we thot. What it got down to was if BB paid a backup QB $17 mil, then he couldn't use his almost 20 yr old formula of pay your QB top $$ and maybe one other guy say $10 mil. No one else makes big bucks except QB and one other if needed (DB elite). The rest take home millions, but compared to Khalil Mack, Aaron Darnold, JG, et al ...no back breaking, bank breaking salaries. All PATS are miilionaires. They just aren't gross millionaires. And BB knew Brady stayed in shape, hadn't fallen off and was good for another 5 yrs or so.

So he had his QB whose wife's income permitted a hometown discount , he had a standout elite DB, and the rest were guys who were getting low pay compared to many on other teams...Or he could rent for a yr (Brandon Cooks) who BB then used a yr for Brady's elite target, and then got a #1 from the Rams the following yr for Cooks. BB got Cooks for a song, $2mil for one yr until he came into his contract yr...that was another cute trick of Bellichek and one we should use. If an elite comes up who wants a trade because his contract yr is 1 or 2 yrs off, we can offer a paltry $2 mil to "rent" the guy for one yr until he then comes into his contract yr. Then we trade him somewhere else and THEY have to pay the $10+ mil/ yr or more...That is really slick and i hope JL uses that if it presents itself.

The more i see of Bellichek, even tho i don't care for a guy who will cheat, he is the best at what he does...coaching, GMing, and choosing talent. Oh, also a genius at OC and DC. We can learn from Bellichek but have to be more in the RAMs mold of drafting well, FAing well and when a really game changing Khalil Mack comes around...we take him.

Also as noted above, when a mistake is made, ditch it. Corollary is when you have real talent but raw, coach it up and go with it.

Our bugaboo is that we got JG dropped in our laps but we had to pay the huge tag on him. Drafting a Mahomes, KC had to pay the NFL first rd 5 yr rate... a bargain compared to JGs price tag...

Just a question. Did BB actually "get us" on the JG deal? I never thot so before , but now...i wonder. Not to mention, we have seen but snippets of JG ...5 games yr 1 and 2 1/2 games yr 2. Lordy, i hope he is as good as we think.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 27, 2019 at 8:55 PM ]

Originally posted by zonkers:
IMO it's kind of the Mike Shanahan way. Their blueprint is based on a strong run game, smart play calling, and a steady defense. They generally seek scheme fits on offense and overall talent on defense. Not afraid to spend if it matches the blueprint.

Excellent point...strong D, great play calling, strong run game, scheme fit on O and overall talent on D. I'll add an elite QB, top 5.

If Lynch can come close to that, we will succeed. If not...probably not. it still amazes that BB can do this yr in, yr out. Wonder if he leaves with Brady.?
Neither
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wonder if he leaves with Brady.?

Maybe Belichick and/or Brady stay with the org whenever they're done with the day-to-day stuff.
Billy Beane did that with the A's. He's still involved with decisions, but has other people do the nitty gritty.
I don't think we're built like either right now but considering how good Shanahan is at building an offense with pretty much anyone long term I think he wants to have a similar model as Belichick, with Jimmy orchestrating the offense. But if you look at the offense it's built similarly right now with a dominant tight end(Kittle), a reliable receiver(Goodwin when healthy) and good stable of running backs.

Belichick is defensive minded and that's his expertise, look at how even though there's not a ton of elite players on defense they always get the job done especially in championship seasons. The star power has mostly been on offense the side he's less known for, with players like Brady, Gronk, Moss, etc. I think as years pass since Shanahan is more offense oriented the defense may have more star players just looking at how New England has been built for the most part.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lets see... wasting money on scrubs that should be cut. refusing to make an upgrade at DC that is so obviously needed.

definitely building the Browns way. Only 10 more top 5 picks to go and we might be as good as the browns.
Share 49ersWebzone