There are 156 users in the forums

Week 14 - Broncos @ 49ers - Post Game Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • thl408
It was mentioned somewhere but if ARI has #1, OAK might use their many picks to move up to #1. The two traded with one another in the 2018 draft. ARI might benefit more from many picks to build up their offense rather than take Bosa at #1.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Karma:
Us "fools" have our opinions. We like when our team wins. It's not that hard to understand. here are a few things to consider:

1. Harbaugh's first season is a completely different scenario. He took over an underachieving group of veterans with tons of talent. Remember, the team already had Gore, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Bowman, Justin Smith, etc. This team was a tear down when Shanahan got here. Development has always been essential to this team.

2. This all hinges on the idea that Bosa makes the team better than winning a meaningless game now. You argue that a "winning culture" is nothing compared to talent. How many 1st round busts did the Patriots have during their dynasty? How many "generational talents" did they draft in the first round?

3. Bosa is not a guarantee. No. Player. Is. You want to rob yourself of a chance to enjoy a win so you can pine for a guy that might be good? Yesterday's win was fun. Kittle's dominance, Pettis' continued emergence. Marcel Harris with that huge tackle to stop them on 4th down. Three other 4th down stops. D.J. Reed leading the team in tackles and getting his first sack. Sherman jumping around and smacking helmets after a big play. You didn't get to enjoy any of that because you were too worried about April. That's just not the kind of fan I want to be...

Excellent post.

Again, all these guys clamoring for the 1st overall have never played sports of any kind.
Haha nice assumption. So you think just because you played a sport means your right? Has nothing to do with it. Just like how the best athletes dont always make the best coaches.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Did this dude come in here and say Garrett does nothing to help the Browns win and wouldn't help the Niners either? LMAO
At this point, don't feed the troll. Either dude is a troll or not bright.
I don't get how these fools think winning this year builds for next year. I mean yea it's nice and gives the players confidence and a positive outlook, but look at Harbaugh first season here compared to the year before. Was the team winning the year prior? No. He was winning win pretty much the same damn team from the previous season. We can start winning next year, when the wins will hopefully count.

This post sums up guys like you.

In one sentence you go from saying you don't know how winning this year helps then say it builds confidence and a positive outlook.

So which is it?

Winning a meaningless game today doesnt translate to next season as much as you think it does. Winning can start at the beginning of next season. Not now when there will be turnover of players that arent event going to be here next yr. You dont think players start next season with a clean slate? You dont think they get excited when they see the roster turnover and see new faces? Its a whole new ball game and I guarantee that theyll be competing now matter how many W or Ls were received last yr.
[ Edited by ady2glude707 on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
Us "fools" have our opinions. We like when our team wins. It's not that hard to understand. here are a few things to consider:

1. Harbaugh's first season is a completely different scenario. He took over an underachieving group of veterans with tons of talent. Remember, the team already had Gore, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Bowman, Justin Smith, etc. This team was a tear down when Shanahan got here. Development has always been essential to this team.

2. This all hinges on the idea that Bosa makes the team better than winning a meaningless game now. You argue that a "winning culture" is nothing compared to talent. How many 1st round busts did the Patriots have during their dynasty? How many "generational talents" did they draft in the first round?

3. Bosa is not a guarantee. No. Player. Is. You want to rob yourself of a chance to enjoy a win so you can pine for a guy that might be good? Yesterday's win was fun. Kittle's dominance, Pettis' continued emergence. Marcel Harris with that huge tackle to stop them on 4th down. Three other 4th down stops. D.J. Reed leading the team in tackles and getting his first sack. Sherman jumping around and smacking helmets after a big play. You didn't get to enjoy any of that because you were too worried about April. That's just not the kind of fan I want to be...

1. Same thing. We have proven veterans and high draft picks. Winning this current season doesnt translate or help at all next year. All it does it create excitement.

2. They havent recently because they have a 1st round pick talent in Brady, who they lucked in to getting.

3. Bosa is as guaranteed as you can get. Just like Garrett was 2 years ago. I can sacrifice a 'fun' W for the rest of the season if it leads to more Ws next season, when they actually matter.
[ Edited by ady2glude707 on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
Originally posted by valrod33:

This is where I'm glad I'm wrong!!!
How is the Falcons 4-9 with that roster.

lol Dan Quin

The Jags too
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by MrWiggles:
Bosa would be nice. Still can't root for a loss. Football is an entertainment product. I was entertained at the game yesterday for once. Winning feels good. Go Niners.

Is it entertaining to watch them lose constantly because they don't have talent? Is it entertaining to what QBs have too much time to throw the ball? It's not fun watching our defenses blow games in the 4th qr because we don't have the stud coming off the edge to close it out.

Wasn't it fun watching aldon smith destroy QBs every Sunday? Wasn't it fun knowing teams weren't gonna just drive downfield every game?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Couldn't agree more with these last two sentences.

Lol yup that week 14 win really changed the culture in that locker room...gonna go on a tear these last 3 weeks.
Originally posted by thl408:
It was mentioned somewhere but if ARI has #1, OAK might use their many picks to move up to #1. The two traded with one another in the 2018 draft. ARI might benefit more from many picks to build up their offense rather than take Bosa at #1.

Yeah I threw that out there yesterday...issue is they might be moving up for Bosa. I don't see a QB worth the #1 pick and I don't think Oakland is gonna move on from Carr just yet.

We basically need ATL/DC to start winning some games and NY/TB to lose (plus we lose rest of the way)

Big game next week for Zona, they're playing ATL. It's a win win for us but a Zona win would be much much better.
Nothing better than getting a Win but also still keeping the #1 pick. so glad the Raiders won as well. which is something i never say lol.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
How is the Falcons 4-9 with that roster.

lol Dan Quin

The Jags too

And we think we are having a bad season. Jags, Falcons, Eagles and Packers were all supposed to be good. One won the Super Bowl last year and 2 were in the NFC title game. How fast they fell apart. It shows that the difference between good and bad in the NFL is often one or two players or a key injury. Keep the faith.

I really hate this tanking logic because that means that every team that doesn't make the playoffs should be tanking on purpose to get as good a pick as possible. You all wanna watch this kind of suck fest? And if your entire rebuild is banking on drafting one player that would theoretically turn a 2-14 season into a playoff contender, let me tell ya, those odds suck. Throwing away whole seasons and betting on one guy means if that guy doesn't pan out, you're gonna have to keep tanking for the next Bosa, since you have not installed a culture of winning.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This is where I'm glad I'm wrong!!!

Unfortunately, AZ may be in the driver's seat for #1. We have to hope they win in Atlanta this weekend.

Why? SOS would come down to our non-common opponents. TB and NYG have to suck worse than Atl (given the win over AZ) and Wash, not looking good for us. It could easily come down to Atl @ TB week 17, where we would need an Atl win. Again, not looking good right now.
Originally posted by TheGoldMineSF:
I really hate this tanking logic because that means that every team that doesn't make the playoffs should be tanking on purpose to get as good a pick as possible. You all wanna watch this kind of suck fest? And if your entire rebuild is banking on drafting one player that would theoretically turn a 2-14 season into a playoff contender, let me tell ya, those odds suck. Throwing away whole seasons and betting on one guy means if that guy doesn't pan out, you're gonna have to keep tanking for the next Bosa, since you have not installed a culture of winning.

Losing a game when you're 2-10 is "throwing away an entire season"?

Are you saying that winning to go 3-10 will guarantee us a SB victory? No? Then don't use that "one player = SB victory" fallacy either.
Originally posted by TheGoldMineSF:

No team is gonna tank....football has too much turnover and not enough guaranteed cash for players to tank for the team.

The whole argument is about fans wanting to win ONE GAME over getting the top pick in the draft...which also means that top pick in every rd after that (so no it's not just one player).

installing a culture of winning in WEEK 14 lol? stop with that nonsense. This is a different conversation back in week 5. But they couldn't even beat the cards twice lol, it has nothing with installing a winning culture and everything to do with getting BETTER TALENT.

better talent = winning culture.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lol yup that week 14 win really changed the culture in that locker room...gonna go on a tear these last 3 weeks.
They are professional athletes. They get paid to compete not to lie down. I suspect a win means more to them than it does to "fans" who are obsessed with draft position. Patriots haven't had a high draft pick, except perhaps through trade, for almost two decades. They seem to do all right. If you want to gauge the value of a high draft pick according to this forum just go over to the Solomon Thomas or Reuben Foster threads, or the Mike McGlinchey thread. People were rapping on that pick from the moment it was made. Seems to me it has turned out pretty well so far. George Kittle was a fifth round pick, Breida was an undrafted free agent. With a few obvious exceptions, there is almost no way of knowing how a college player's game is going to translate into the NFL, they spend a lot of time playing against guys who will be going into different careers once they get out of college. The history of the NFL is littered with first round busts, every team has them. Like everyone else I am hoping that the team will be able to get a good edge rusher in the next draft but I also think that the team needs to compete in its final three games. If you let them lie down now you run the risk of losing them altogether. Not to free agency or anything like that but just in terms of their commitment to what you are trying to achieve. You don't need players who are just there to collect a check, you need guys who are committed to winning, which means you have to win sometimes even in a down season to keep them invested in the process and to let them know you are serious about what you are trying to accomplish otherwise why should they continue to put in the effort.
Share 49erswebzone