There are 177 users in the forums

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

If the problem is widespread then it is coaching. If generally ball security is good throughout the team then you can blame the player. Same with penalties.
  • thl408
If it's a lateral to a WR, a RB throwing a pass, a flea flicker, or any play where a player is put in a position where they have to handle the ball in an unconventional way, that's coaching. If it's fumbles on typical carries/returns, QB losing the ball due to lack of pocket awareness, dropped passes that result in INTs, that's more on the players.
Playcalls can help limit turnovers by being more conservative, but when the defense is giving up 30+, a conservative offense is admitting defeat.
Originally posted by thl408:
If it's a lateral to a WR, a RB throwing a pass, a flea flicker, or any play where a player is put in a position where they have to handle the ball in an unconventional way, that's coaching. If it's fumbles on typical carries/returns, QB losing the ball due to lack of pocket awareness, dropped passes that result in INTs, that's more on the players.
Playcalls can help limit turnovers by being more conservative, but when the defense is giving up 30+, a conservative offense is admitting defeat.

well said
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
100% on the players.

technically, you are right. But the coaches share some of that blame for being way too passive with these scrubs. "Oh, you fumled? It's okay. We'll get em next time, tiger!"

Apparently the coaches are not in charge of practice either. lol NT.
Same coaches as last year but more turnovers. Did the coaches suddenly quit telling them to hang on to the ball?
Normally I'd say the players. However, in this case the coaches have a lot to answer for. When you have this amount of turnovers the coaches must not be applying penalties or some sort of negative reinforcements when players turn the ball over. I don't think the coaches are doing an adequate job of focusing the players attention. I continue to be critical of Shanny for not being a complete HC. He's gonna have to put his foot down on this and start reducing playing time, reps in practice, etc. Whatever it is he do it must be harsh enough to get the players attention.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Normally I'd say the players. However, in this case the coaches have a lot to answer for. When you have this amount of turnovers the coaches must not be applying penalties or some sort of negative reinforcements when players turn the ball over. I don't think the coaches are doing an adequate job of focusing the players attention. I continue to be critical of Shanny for not being a complete HC. He's gonna have to put his foot down on this and start reducing playing time, reps in practice, etc. Whatever it is he do it must be harsh enough to get the players attention.

The team is already forced to play the backups at a bunch of positions including QB and RB. The number 1 offender of turnovers being Beathard, the backup QB. Are you suggesting Kyle start playing Mullens if Beathard continues to make turnovers? I guess, but Mullens will probably suck more than Beathard.
I would argue the players. Because of the limited amount of time coaches have the players for pre-season, off-season, practices, and what not, you don't want the coaching staff taking time away from practicing plays and game planning to make sure players have their fundamentals right. This is the top of the mountain in terms of football talent, so coaching shouldn't have to come in and make sure players are being disciplined and fundamentally sound. That should be a given. If a player is at this NFL and still being sloppy and undisciplined, I'd say cut them and find someone else that is self motivated for the basics.

The team is already forced to play the backups at a bunch of positions including QB and RB. The number 1 offender of turnovers being Beathard, the backup QB. Are you suggesting Kyle start playing Mullens if Beathard continues to make turnovers? I guess, but Mullens will probably suck more than Beathard.

Yes play mullens and make him hand the ball off everytime.
  • thl408
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes play mullens and make him hand the ball off everytime.

I'd rather lose 40-20 than 20-0. Also, turnovers, no matter who is committing them, are exciting plays. When Beathard runs around and fumbles it gets me going much more than a Pinion punt. But that's just me.

I wish i could find the post where i shared i'd rather have a more conservative approach and win games versus putting up 30+ points a game and sucking ass... case and point with this team.

I remember its in the Jimmy G thread... Gonna go find the post so I can make someone eat crow brb
  • thl408
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
I wish i could find the post where i shared i'd rather have a more conservative approach and win games versus putting up 30+ points a game and sucking ass... case and point with this team.

I remember its in the Jimmy G thread... Gonna go find the post so I can make someone eat crow brb

But playing conservative offense to win games suggests you have a good defense.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
If the problem is widespread then it is coaching. If generally ball security is good throughout the team then you can blame the player. Same with penalties.
That's just it, on this team its a bit widespread. Fumbles, INT's, dropped balls, missed assignments, wrong routes - take your pick. As I stated, normally I'd blame the players. But this is happening too frequently this season. At this point it's on the coaches.

God no! What can be done when it comes to QB is they can bring in a veteran known for being careful with the ball to send him a message. As for other positions? You damn straight! If you can't hold on to the ball, if you drop passes, if you miss assignments, if you run the wrong routes, then you must be playing a bit too much and a breather is in order. The coaches cannot continue to allow for this to happen without some kind of a reaction that sends clear messages throughout the team. Period. If the coaches aren't sending the message that this cannot continue then they are at fault.

I posted in the Beathard thread that people don't know what they're asking for, in basically 1-2 quarters over four games, Mullens fumbled three times, losing two, and tossed 3 picks against garbage third string players. He would look exponentially worse against real starting talent.
Share 49erswebzone