There are 109 users in the forums

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Normally I'd say the players. However, in this case the coaches have a lot to answer for. When you have this amount of turnovers the coaches must not be applying penalties or some sort of negative reinforcements when players turn the ball over. I don't think the coaches are doing an adequate job of focusing the players attention. I continue to be critical of Shanny for not being a complete HC. He's gonna have to put his foot down on this and start reducing playing time, reps in practice, etc. Whatever it is he do it must be harsh enough to get the players attention.

The team is already forced to play the backups at a bunch of positions including QB and RB. The number 1 offender of turnovers being Beathard, the backup QB. Are you suggesting Kyle start playing Mullens if Beathard continues to make turnovers? I guess, but Mullens will probably suck more than Beathard.

I posted in the Beathard thread that people don't know what they're asking for, in basically 1-2 quarters over four games, Mullens fumbled three times, losing two, and tossed 3 picks against garbage third string players. He would look exponentially worse against real starting talent.
I wasn't saying we should bench C.J. But a vet QB can be brought in who'e known for securing the ball. That'll send a clear message to C.J.
imho this is professional football. this is not pop warner where you have to scare the sh#+ out of people to get them to do there job. Bill Belichick said it best. Do your job !!!!!!! that includes not throwing picks and not fumbling. If some in hear don't like the shanahan hire and think he is not a good coach that's one thing. I'm sorry guys... interceptions and fumbles are on the players. At this stage in football a player must take it upon himself to eliminate these errors or he wont be an nfl player for very long. (except for sorry qbs who seem to have eternal backup lives lol!!!). a football coach cannot carry the ball or throw a touch down. They may fire shanahan for losing games but if these players don't improve they will no longer have a job. shanahan will just get another oc job some where.
If you can't win in the NFL turning the ball over. And CJ consistently turns the ball over. Then why keep playing him? Does Kyle not want to win?
Originally posted by 9erReign:
If you can't win in the NFL turning the ball over. And CJ consistently turns the ball over. Then why keep playing him? Does Kyle not want to win?

This too.

But that would be admitting another (personal) draft pick is a failure. I'm starting to think KS is great at the scheme, but is NOT a personnel guy.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 24, 2018 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Normally I'd say the players. However, in this case the coaches have a lot to answer for. When you have this amount of turnovers the coaches must not be applying penalties or some sort of negative reinforcements when players turn the ball over. I don't think the coaches are doing an adequate job of focusing the players attention. I continue to be critical of Shanny for not being a complete HC. He's gonna have to put his foot down on this and start reducing playing time, reps in practice, etc. Whatever it is he do it must be harsh enough to get the players attention.

The team is already forced to play the backups at a bunch of positions including QB and RB. The number 1 offender of turnovers being Beathard, the backup QB. Are you suggesting Kyle start playing Mullens if Beathard continues to make turnovers? I guess, but Mullens will probably suck more than Beathard.

I posted in the Beathard thread that people don't know what they're asking for, in basically 1-2 quarters over four games, Mullens fumbled three times, losing two, and tossed 3 picks against garbage third string players. He would look exponentially worse against real starting talent.
I wasn't saying we should bench C.J. But a vet QB can be brought in who'e known for securing the ball. That'll send a clear message to C.J.

I get it, but that would just stunt the development of a guy that clearly has the physical ability to do good things if he can learn to protect the ball better. He only has 9 NFL starts coming in as a late third round pick. People can trash him all they want but I wouldn't call what I've seen so far exactly shocking for someone like him at this point in their career. I'd be more worried if he was a first round pick but he was a project that was NOT supposed to be starting this early.

As awful as it is having to suffer watching it happen, all we can do is hope he learns from his mistakes over time to be more consistent with taking care of the football. It doesn't happen overnight. I expect it'll continue to be a roller coaster with some horrific games (Rams, Cardinals) mixed with good/decent ones (Chargers, Packers).

We just have no idea which Beathard we're going to get from game to game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 24, 2018 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

This too.

But that would be admitting another (personal) draft pick is a failure. I'm starting to think KS is great at the scheme, but is NOT a personnel guy.

This obviously true. Also he's not great at making scheme changes to fit his personnel. He keeps running everything the same as if he has jimmy. A good coach has to adjust the game plan to make up different personnel. Im very disappointed in Kyle's coaching this year.
Originally posted by susweel:

This too.

This obviously true. Also he's not great at making scheme changes to fit his personnel. He keeps running everything the same as if he has jimmy. A good coach has to adjust the game plan to make up different personnel. Im very disappointed in Kyle's coaching this year.

Yup and he gets rid of talent that doesn't fit his scheme and ends up with worse players.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 24, 2018 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

This too.

What scheme changes can we make exactly though? On one end, Beathard has the arm talent and system knowledge and is moving the ball. The only issue is his consistency in limiting turnovers, he's up and down. He goes out and surprises against the Chargers, then does terrible against the Cardinals. Goes out and surprises again against GB, then does horrible against the Rams. I'm hoping he gets back on course and stays on the good side of things more often the rest of the year.
Has beat hard played a full game with 0 turnovers yet?
Share 49erswebzone