There are 138 users in the forums

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that leans more towards the players. Mostert took responsibility for his mistake against ARI that arguably cost us that game and he had responded by showing clear focus on protecting the ball. Beathard responded at Green Bay, but it's like he completely forgot everything he learned the week prior AND forgot who he was playing against at the same time. He struggles to have a multi-task mindset, seemingly only able to focus on one thing at a time and only what he can see. He struggles with anything he can't see or anything in his peripherals for whatever reason. The interceptions were both just bad throws that were not worth the risk. This early on, he needs to learn to manage risk far far better.

My take is turnovers are 50% player-based, 25% coaching, and 25% luck.

Players need to hold it like they can and will get hit at any time -- running, scrambling, catching and turning upfield -- EXPECT CONTACT ON THE BALL EVERY PLAY, EVERY TIME. You then can at least avoid plays like the Juice fumble and some of Beathard's fumbles.

Coaches need to practice situational football exactly like that. Test your players by making sure they get contact on the ball on every play, every drill, and reiterate on game day.

Sometimes, the ball just doesn't bounce your way. When every other team seems to have their drops fall harmlessly to the ground, our drops always flip upward in the most dangerous ways directly into the arms of a defender. Celek, Garcon, and Kittle all have had it happen to them. A ball that hit Bourne in the chest the other week almost did the same. It was as if he was leaning back at the perfect angle for it to bounce up, ricochet off his helmet and divert precisely into the direction of the nearest opposing player. Luck we can't control, but the other 75% of the equation we can, and EVERYONE -- coaches and players -- must put in overtime to make absolutely sure this stops happening.

Strong post OTC and I agree. I put it mostly on our players, but there seems to be a lack of accountability on the team as well and that's all coaching.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Players. Coaching can only influence so much especially with the restrictions of coaches being with their players. Kyle didn't coach up Beathard to always get stripped sacked, these players are grown men and should be able to work on their flaws.
Players need to be held accountable for the actual turnover but coaches need to correct the behavior. Neither of these things are happening on the 49ers.

I highly doubt that coaches are staying silent after turnovers. Every coach stresses protecting the ball. It's small, but signing Savage is a small indicator of holding Beathard accountable. Make more turnovers, we have more qbs on this team that can take snaps away from you. Yes, coaching needs to get better, but players need to better themselves also.
How can a turnover be on the coaches? Lol
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by susweel:
Its always on the players but the coaches have a part to do with it also. Perhaps they are not preaching ball security enough in practice, also playing calling should probably be more conservative when you know your QB is a retard. I've seen games where shanny passes the ball about 50 times with beathard, you just cannot do that.

It was one game, and we had almost 100 hundred offensive snaps which is an absurd amount, usually it is 50-60 offensive snaps. This was also when Brieda injured his ankle and Morris/Mostert were averaging like 3 yards a carry.

The number of plays run that day was mostly on shanny he ran a lot of no huddle and hurry up offense that day.
Players
As much as we love to blame coaches on everything in this site, its nice to know that we are smart enough to know that turnovers are almost always on the players.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Combo. Players, coaching, then bad luck
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
How can a turnover be on the coaches? Lol

I remember Gore had a fumbling problem. Coaches worked on that with him in practice, he hardly ever fumbled after that.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Players. Coaching can only influence so much especially with the restrictions of coaches being with their players. Kyle didn't coach up Beathard to always get stripped sacked, these players are grown men and should be able to work on their flaws.
Players need to be held accountable for the actual turnover but coaches need to correct the behavior. Neither of these things are happening on the 49ers.

I highly doubt that coaches are staying silent after turnovers. Every coach stresses protecting the ball. It's small, but signing Savage is a small indicator of holding Beathard accountable. Make more turnovers, we have more qbs on this team that can take snaps away from you. Yes, coaching needs to get better, but players need to better themselves also.
They may bring it up but this coaching staff is trying to be BFFs with the roster.
When it is this systemic it is coaching. Just like the penalties and missed tackles.

• LVJay
  • Veteran

They may bring it up but this coaching staff is trying to be BFFs with the roster.

Dancing, giggling, wiggling and jiggling to Lil Wayne n s**t like that
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lmao, so embarrassing.

Gruesome. It's gruesome.
100% BAD COACHING.

Shanahan said he has the players to win games.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lmao, so embarrassing.

Gruesome. It's gruesome.
Mostly on the players. They are pushing too hard knowing that the defense cannot make a stop.
Share 49erswebzone