There are 191 users in the forums

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Turnovers: More on the Coaches or Players?

Originally posted by Curlin:
100% BAD COACHING.

Shanahan said he has the players to win games.

Agreed. Look at the film. You can see Kyle telling Beathard to throw the pick right before it happens. I'm pretty sure John Lynch called down to the sidelines and demanded he fumble the ball.
Originally posted by Natedog:
Mostly on the players. They are pushing too hard knowing that the defense cannot make a stop.
Right.
And then the defense can't make a stop because they've been given a short field to defend and they press to hard and screw up by giving up big plays and blowing assignments.
It's a vicious cycle but they are consistent with it.
It has been done so many times that it's a pattern.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Curlin:
100% BAD COACHING.

Shanahan said he has the players to win games.

Agreed. Look at the film. You can see Kyle telling Beathard to throw the pick right before it happens. I'm pretty sure John Lynch called down to the sidelines and demanded he fumble the ball.

Originally posted by susweel:
Its always on the players but the coaches have a part to do with it also. Perhaps they are not preaching ball security enough in practice, also playing calling should probably be more conservative when you know your QB is a retard. I've seen games where shanny passes the ball about 50 times with beathard, you just cannot do that.

Agree for the most part, issue with the play calling is our D can't stop a nose bleed. One reason Harbs teams were good with the ball, the D made plays and it allowed us to run the ball wnd be conservative.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Its always on the players but the coaches have a part to do with it also. Perhaps they are not preaching ball security enough in practice, also playing calling should probably be more conservative when you know your QB is a retard. I've seen games where shanny passes the ball about 50 times with beathard, you just cannot do that.

It was one game, and we had almost 100 hundred offensive snaps which is an absurd amount, usually it is 50-60 offensive snaps. This was also when Brieda injured his ankle and Morris/Mostert were averaging like 3 yards a carry.

The number of plays run that day was mostly on shanny he ran a lot of no huddle and hurry up offense that day.

We possessed the ball for over 40 minutes, it was not no huddle/hurry up that was responsible for the absurd number of offensive plays we had.

We had 447 yards of offense but it was the turnovers that hurt us on the scoreboard.
Originally posted by evil:
We possessed the ball for over 40 minutes, it was not no huddle/hurry up that was responsible for the absurd number of offensive plays we had.

We had 447 yards of offense but it was the turnovers that hurt us on the scoreboard.

Yup, if not for the crazy amount of turnovers (and lack of takeaways) SF could have 4 wins without question right now.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Agree for the most part, issue with the play calling is our D can't stop a nose bleed. One reason Harbs teams were good with the ball, the D made plays and it allowed us to run the ball wnd be conservative.

Yeah the issue is Kyle is a very aggressive coach and that's a problem when you have someone like Beathard who will turn it over a ton against a top defense. We need to play ball control when we play teams like that.

He knows Beathard can make all the throws, that's not the issue, it's just Shanahan almost never goes conservative so he will always put Beathard in high risk situations with the HOPES that he won't get stripped or force something.

Beathard struggles mightily with timing under pressure and I think Shanahan needs to adjust to this -- and I think he admitted as much that he could do better going forward so we'll see.

My suggestions would be:

1. Run Beathard a little more to not only keep the defense honest but also help manage risk in terms of fumbles from the pocket and less opportunities to force bad throws.

2. Go Max protect on longer dropbacks. Yes, that decreases open options but Beathard is non-functional under pressure so give him extra time for a chance to either throw it away, run, or a receiver to find a way to get themselves open.

3. Don't be predictable. Everyone and their mom knows to expect a screen when it's third and long. Don't bother with that crap. If you plan on just punting, run a draw.
We're forgetting one...incredible defensive plays (tipped passes, shielding off our small receivers, being more aggressive to the ball, diving INT's, hustle strip-sacks, etc.)

But overall, it's on all.

Aggressive, 7-step drop play calling, WR's unable to get open at the time the QB has a window, mental mistakes with wrong routes, crucial pre snap penalties forcing predictable pass rush situations, OL communication errors, BeatHard's poor pocket feel, special teams and offensive players not securing the ball, and some bad luck (see fumbles lost with JG vs. CJB).
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 24, 2018 at 6:57 AM ]
Mike Martz coached teams were always high in turnovers. He was even quoted as saying he didn't care. Just saying.

There are times I think Kyle wants to see his offense executed no matter what. Seriously think his ego is getting in the way. It's okay, you can occasionally be boring on offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 24, 2018 at 7:05 AM ]
lets see.... coach calls a running play to the right side. Running back hits the hole and gets the ball ripped out of his hand. uh player ... quarterback throws into tight coverage ball gets tipped into offensive players hand and by the time the defensive and offensive players hit the ground the defensive player has an interception. uh player... quarterback moves up in the pocket and starts to run only to have the ball swatted out of his grasp by defensive player behind him... same player that has fumble away games numerous times this year .... uh player. coaches coach .... players play .....uh players..

This is a good point.

Before the Patriots played the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, I saw a stat that said that Brady was the only QB who attempted 50 passes against them in the 2012-2013 era.

50 is a lot.
100% on the players.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
100% on the players.

technically, you are right. But the coaches share some of that blame for being way too passive with these scrubs. "Oh, you fumled? It's okay. We'll get em next time, tiger!"
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
This.

Start benching dudes that can't protect the ball. Bet they stop turning it over.

Problem is we don't have many guys to replace the guys we bench. Too many injuries.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
100% on the players.

technically, you are right. But the coaches share some of that blame for being way too passive with these scrubs. "Oh, you fumled? It's okay. We'll get em next time, tiger!"

Then the next scrubs do it too.
Share 49erswebzone