There are 161 users in the forums

49ers Roster: The Glue, Dead Weight, and Trade Bait

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our secondary isn't a good young core at all. Our safety play is horrible
Originally posted by lamontb:

+1

Our safeties are horrible and we need another starting CB....Whitherspoon, Mabin and Ward are not the answer. Its time to find out if Moore has the ability to start in NFL. Both Colbert and Tartt are second stringers. They dont seem to have the awareness or the quick read and reaction ability needed.
We need major competition across all the secondary positions, I definitely hope Reed and Moore can supplant somebody next year, and do so because they truly developed enough and not just because the incumbent sucks and they are the "less sucky" player.

We should've kept Eric Reid honestly. Colbert has been showing very poor fundamentals. He blows assignments and consistently fails to wrap up as a tackler.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We should've kept Eric Reid honestly. Colbert has been showing very poor fundamentals. He blows assignments and consistently fails to wrap up as a tackler.

The other biggest head scratcher aside from letting go of Dumervil who was our most productive pass rusher and not replacing him with anyone.

Well Id agree colbert has been terrible. I think Tarrtt is a solid player, problem is he's never healthy. We do need two new safeties(one as insurance for Tartt) and another corner.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Well Id agree colbert has been terrible. I think Tarrtt is a solid player, problem is he's never healthy. We do need two new safeties(one as insurance for Tartt) and another corner.

We could do a lot worse than Tartt. He's fine, we just need insurance there so we'll see how Marcell Harris is later this season. Perhaps Colbert can just be his backup.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

We could do a lot worse than Tartt. He's fine, we just need insurance there so we'll see how Marcell Harris is later this season. Perhaps Colbert can just be his backup.

Exum also should get some more snaps, he had shown flashes.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The other biggest head scratcher aside from letting go of Dumervil who was our most productive pass rusher and not replacing him with anyone.

Very good point, Ensatsu.... I had almost forgotten about Elvis. Do you think the team could have used him thus far?
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM ]
Hey OTC.... Of the current players on the roster, who do you think could be starters on a playoff team? This team certainly has some talent but it is now clear it has some serious holes too. Assuming Staley and Sherman can play a couple of more years, of course...

Cheers!
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Hey OTC.... Of the current players on the roster, who do you think could be starters on a playoff team? This team certainly has some talent but it is now clear it has some serious holes too. Assuming Staley and Sherman can play a couple of more years, of course...

Cheers!

On a playoff team for us in the future? Buckner, Day, Blair possibly at big end, Warner, Foster, Malcolm, Sherman and Tartt on defense.

Offense I think the biggest question would be at receiver. Goodwin is the only legit starter there.

Updated the OP with another name under the category of "trade bait" -- CB Ahkello Witherspoon.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Updated the OP with another name under the category of "trade bait" -- CB Ahkello Witherspoon.

Appreciate the effort here, but I think many classifications are overreactions. I don't think it's fair to think Witherspoon is no better than Dontae Johnson. Our secondary has been swiss cheese outside of Sherman, and that's a reflection of positional coaching bundled with personnel.

No need to rebuild the rebuild yet. I would first upgrade the positional coaches. DL and DBs especially. We should have good talent to poach with the upcoming firings and available coaches.

Then I would beef up the pass rush x4. Lack of pass rush means our secondary is on an island for a longer duration. Improve the pass rush = improve the secondary performance. Get 2 pass rushers in FA - 1 top tier, 1 mid - and 2 in the draft - 1st rounder and mid rounder.

Lastly, I would look to make the right upgrades in the secondary. FS is a clear need. Colbert can pivot to SS with Tartt coming in as LB on dime formations. Get a Thomas or Joyner to take over FS. Then get a guy like Melvin in FA with a mid-round CB pick.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Appreciate the effort here, but I think many classifications are overreactions. I don't think it's fair to think Witherspoon is no better than Dontae Johnson. Our secondary has been swiss cheese outside of Sherman, and that's a reflection of positional coaching bundled with personnel.

No need to rebuild the rebuild yet. I would first upgrade the positional coaches. DL and DBs especially. We should have good talent to poach with the upcoming firings and available coaches.

Then I would beef up the pass rush x4. Lack of pass rush means our secondary is on an island for a longer duration. Improve the pass rush = improve the secondary performance. Get 2 pass rushers in FA - 1 top tier, 1 mid - and 2 in the draft - 1st rounder and mid rounder.

Lastly, I would look to make the right upgrades in the secondary. FS is a clear need. Colbert can pivot to SS with Tartt coming in as LB on dime formations. Get a Thomas or Joyner to take over FS. Then get a guy like Melvin in FA with a mid-round CB pick.

I think Witherspoon is better than Johnson, he just has struggled with penalties this season. I firmly agree we need a new FS and help at edge. Also, I'm not saying I believe the team will surely oust Witherspoon, but it wouldn't shock me. At the same time, I would still like to add proven talent there if we can so we don't put all our eggs into the basket of hopes and wishes.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Very good point, Ensatsu.... I had almost forgotten about Elvis. Do you think the team could have used him thus far?

No cause he retired! Don't quite understand how people don't understand the concept of a player retiring.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
No cause he retired! Don't quite understand how people don't understand the concept of a player retiring.

I didn't know that....but I wonder which came first, the retirement or the lack of a team signing him.
Share 49ersWebzone