There are 214 users in the forums

49ers Roster: The Glue, Dead Weight, and Trade Bait

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jimmy G (one full season to prove he's the guy, if he's only meh by season 2, we start looking for a replacement)
McKinnon (see Jimmy G.)
Goodwin (entrenched)
Kittle (entrenched)
McGlinchey (entrenched)
Richburg (see Jimmy G.)
Buckner (entrenched)
Foster (see Jimmy G.)
Warner (see Jimmy G.)
Gould (entrenched)

10 guys on this team are "Glue" guys. Everyone else has this season and maybe next. We need pass rush so bad, and major overhaul of our secondary.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I totally agree. We need a pure tackler. Like a Middle LB. Warner, Foster, and the great Malcolm are all outside LBs to me.

It would be sweet to have a Gary Plummer type of LB in the middle.
Outside of Jimmy G (and that's negotiable), I would trade anyone on this roster for a Mid-first round pick, anyone.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Outside of Jimmy G (and that's negotiable), I would trade anyone on this roster for a Mid-first round pick, anyone.

Buckner is worth a 1st and 2nd. Goodwin might have late first round value, so might Foster and Kittle.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Buckner is worth a 1st and 2nd. Goodwin might have late first round value, so might Foster and Kittle.

I would trade buck for a mid-first in a heart beat.

I doubt we could trade Goodwin for a 3rd rounder.

Kitties been great, but I'm not convinced he doesn't need Kyle more than Kyle needs him. Trade for sure.

Between his injury history, lack of game changing plays and potential off field antics, I would jump at a mid-first.

I think you over value 49ers.

Kitties been great, but I'm not convinced he doesn't need Kyle more than Kyle needs him. Trade for sure.

Between his injury history, lack of game changing plays and potential off field antics, I would jump at a mid-first.

Off field antics? I wouldn't trade a young top 3 tight end like him just all.

No sense in trading knowns for unknowns unless you have a legitimate surplus somewhere and the damage would be negligible if you missed.

I think the team should explore trades for anyone who hasn't shown they would be missed much if gone, or the difference would be negligible overall.

Thomas, Garnett, Trent Taylor, Garcon (doubt anyone would take him at his price), Colbert, Tartt (in limited action, Exum did just fine), Witherspoon, Celek, Mitchell, Bourne are all guys I would take just about anything for. Tart the only one I would ask for a 5th or better for.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

No sense in trading knowns for unknowns unless you have a legitimate surplus somewhere and the damage would be negligible if you missed.

I think the team should explore trades for anyone who hasn't shown they would be missed much if gone, or the difference would be negligible overall.

Thomas, Garnett, Trent Taylor, Garcon (doubt anyone would take him at his price), Colbert, Tartt (in limited action, Exum did just fine), Witherspoon, Celek, Mitchell, Bourne are all guys I would take just about anything for. Tart the only one I would ask for a 5th or better for.

My last sentence was referring to Foster.

Regarding your last paragraph, nobody wants our junk. With the exception of Thomas I don't think we coul get much more than a 6th rounder.

My point is we don't have elite talent on this team. There is no one on this roster you would build or scheme around. With that said, it's possibel a good portion of there under performs is coaching. I'm not sure guys are schemed to succeed like they are on offense.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 23, 2018 at 7:04 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

My last sentence was referring to Foster.

Regarding your last paragraph, nobody wants our junk. With the exception of Thomas I don't think we coul get much more than a 6th rounder.

My point is we don't have elite talent on this team. There is no one on this roster you would build or scheme around. With that said, it's possibel a good portion of there under performs is coaching. I'm not sure guys are schemed to succeed like they are on offense.

I hear you, I don't disagree that we're unlikely to find a partner for several of these guys, but I do think a team with a slot receiver and punt return void might want Taylor. Also think Thomas, Witherspoon, and Garnett definitely are all valuable to some team that would take a shot on a young player with upside still. Jets gave up what, a fourth or fifth for Robinson last year?
Jimmy G (one full season to prove he's the guy, if he's only meh by season 2, we start looking for a replacement)
McKinnon (see Jimmy G.)
Goodwin (entrenched)
Kittle (entrenched)
McGlinchey (entrenched)
Richburg (see Jimmy G.)
Buckner (entrenched)
Foster (see Jimmy G.)
Warner (see Jimmy G.)
Gould (entrenched)

10 guys on this team are "Glue" guys. Everyone else has this season and maybe next. We need pass rush so bad, and major overhaul of our secondary.

the staff loves Pettis. They also like Tartt alot. Malcolm Smith isn't going anywhere either. Neither will Blair if he keeps improving. They like Lake too, gave him an extension. You forgot Breida as well. I just don't think it's as bleak as you make it sound.

They definitely have to keep Taylor. Pettis might be starting outside next year (if he's not the offensive version of Jimmie Ward and too often hurt).
This team, like the majority of NFL teams, is mired in mediocrity, journeyman first contract and out players, and will remain so. It's the 8-12 highly talented players a team needs, that we are nowhere close to.
That's why Jimmy G was so promising.
And that's why our continuing 1-2 round picks being under 500 in talent have bit us.
Great coaching allows the core pool to shrink into a seasonably manageable size, but man, we are stuck in the mud in this league.
Originally posted by Natedog:
I totally agree. We need a pure tackler. Like a Middle LB. Warner, Foster, and the great Malcolm are all outside LBs to me.

Ditto
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Natedog:

Ditto

Plummer type LBs are extinct for a reason. We already heard Kyle say the LB position has evolved where coverage skills are actually required because of today's style off offense.

Imagine a Gary Plummer trying to defend Mahomes and Chiefs. lol, good luck.

I actually like Fred Warner, he seems prototypical and I think he's only going to get better.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
McKinnon (see Jimmy G.)
Goodwin (entrenched)
Kittle (entrenched)
McGlinchey (entrenched)
Richburg (see Jimmy G.)
Buckner (entrenched)
Foster (see Jimmy G.)
Warner (see Jimmy G.)
Gould (entrenched)

I know its a year to early but in 2020 Tua the QB at Bama will probably enter the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone