There are 115 users in the forums

49ers Roster: The Glue, Dead Weight, and Trade Bait

Originally posted by Lurker:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Pettis and James haven't shown enough yet to be in the promising category. Taylor's injury does concern the hell out of me.

Thomas and Garnett should be moved.

Blair is solid depth that should be kept.

Tartt needs to be replaced. I've been wanting a new SS for the last few years.

Pettis absolutely has shown enough to be promising. How the he'll has he not shown that? He got hurt but what we saw and heard from TC, preseason and week 1 is promising.

3 catches for 96 yards does not equal anything at this point.

Apparently you missed Pettis's touchdown where he improvised on a broken play and made a finger tip catch in the back of the endzone. You might also not be aware that he's had a knee injury. Add that to his collegiate career production and I would say that he's quite promising.

Again, the numbers aren't anything special. He hasn't done anything yet that can't be replaced. People have talked about Pettis replacing Taylor based off what exactly...3 catches? Neither of them have done anything to lock a spot down.

Every kid in the NFL has great college tape.

So far he's a kid that's missed more games than he's played in. Knowing our biggest issue, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by sapplegate:
Some aren't seen as "just bodies" no matter what your opinion of them, and others are 1st and 2nd year players who will develop while others won't and be replaced. Sone of those "just bodies" will become core or be long term players even as depth/role players as previously mentioned.

lol like who?

Are Brock Croyle and Adrian Colbert core and crucial to the future success of this team? No, they're not good players and they're completely expendable.

Yeah, that's who I was alluding to. Top work.

FYI "core player" doesn't necessarily mean starter. Good teams have a strong set of core veterans as well as core depth guys that also play special teams.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by sapplegate:
Some aren't seen as "just bodies" no matter what your opinion of them, and others are 1st and 2nd year players who will develop while others won't and be replaced. Sone of those "just bodies" will become core or be long term players even as depth/role players as previously mentioned.

lol like who?

Are Brock Croyle and Adrian Colbert core and crucial to the future success of this team? No, they're not good players and they're completely expendable.

Yeah, that's who I was alluding to. Top work.

Lol right, so you're either a core player or expendable I guess need 53 players (and then some) not everyone is gonna be a pro-bowler, simply not realistic. SF needs more overall talent but they also need their players to be healthy, which they are not.

Indian burial ground gods not being kind to us
Sheldon Day should be a core player on defense. He doesn't get nearly enough snaps.
I understand the debate on terminology but try not to get hung up on the verbiage and focus more on the gist of the post which lays out what we have on the roster and breaking down the levels of talent.

Not expecting 100 percent agreement from everyone but this is just a blend of mostly how I see the team and a little bit of how I think the staff may currently see the team.

Perhaps I should've broken it down further to show the implied categories of:

1. Franchise Players
2. Key Veterans
3. Key Depth/Role Players
Good stuff OTC, my 1 question is:

If the team likes Dwelley as much as you say, why isn't he getting playing time over bum Cole Wick?
Nice thread title change
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I understand the debate on terminology but try not to get hung up on the verbiage and focus more on the gist of the post which lays out what we have on the roster and breaking down the levels of talent.

Not expecting 100 percent agreement from everyone but this is just a blend of mostly how I see the team and a little bit of how I think the staff may currently see the team.

Perhaps I should've broken it down further to show the implied categories of:

1. Franchise Players
2. Key Veterans
3. Key Depth/Role Players

Yes, this would make more sense.

Franchise players will not be replaced and will likely see the end of their 2nd contract.
(Ex: Garoppolo & Buckner)

Key Veterans are at risk of being replaced each and every offseason.
(Ex: Garcon, Blair & Magnuson)

Depth/Role players can be changed in-season.
(Ex: Exum, Bolden & Wick)
[ Edited by okdkid on Oct 15, 2018 at 8:34 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Only untouchables on this team are Jimmy, Buckner as well as McGlinchey and Thomas simply because they are 1st round picks and that would mean accepting failure.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

If the team likes Dwelley as much as you say, why isn't he getting playing time over bum Cole Wick?

Kyle seems to like having a big blocking type as a third tight end (see Logan Paulson last year) so I imagine that's also what got Wick the job over someone like Hikutini. Dwelley is far too raw as a blocker and not experienced enough in the system or NFL in general. He's also adjusting from a smaller school to the NFL and that's a significant jump.

Overall, he just needs refinement but the receiving talent is there. He could definitely push Celek off the roster with a strong camp next year, but I imagine they'll bring in more competition too.

Kyle seems to like having a big blocking type as a third tight end (see Logan Paulson last year) so I imagine that's also what got Wick the job over someone like Hikutini. Dwelley is far too raw as a blocker and not experienced enough in the system or NFL in general. He's also adjusting from a smaller school to the NFL and that's a significant jump.

Overall, he just needs refinement but the receiving talent is there. He could definitely push Celek off the roster with a strong camp next year, but I imagine they'll bring in more competition too.

Got it, thanks.

And 3 hours later Ross gets promoted to the 53, lol. Here we go!!
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Oct 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Only untouchables on this team are Jimmy, Buckner as well as McGlinchey and Thomas simply because they are 1st round picks and that would mean accepting failure.

And Foster. Warner will be on the list by the end of the year too.

Got it, thanks.

And 3 hours later Ross gets promoted to the 53, lol. Here we go!!

Gee would you look at that! looks like I'm not the only one that recognizes the situation at tight end. He must be really pushing Garrett, and that's a great thing for us.
Originally posted by jcs:

How are you putting McGlinchey in the same sentence as failure?
Wut? Are you saying.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone