There are 96 users in the forums

State of the Team, Roster Analysis, & Needs

I can't help but think how a legitimate edge pass rusher could help this defense.

Here is where we rank as of week 5:
29th in points per game
7th in rush yards allowed per game
15th in pass yards allowed per game
11th total yards per game
17th in 3rd down conversions

Believe it or not we are almost a top 10 defense if you are looking at yards. Another positive note and I cant find the stat but saw it on twitter, we are top 10 in allowing the least explosive plays.

We are dead last in turnover margin per game. That means we are turning it over more than we are getting turnovers. This has more to do with the offense turning the ball over too much and if we improve in this area I guarantee we wouldn't be 29th pts given up.

A positive on offense is according to PFF we have a top 5 graded offensive line. McClinchey leads the league in run blocking grades.

So there are some positives happening. We just shooting ourselves in the foot by turnovers and injuries.
[ Edited by miked1978 on Oct 11, 2018 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
it's why these kinds of threads just fall on deaf ears for me. i have 0 expectations now and will going into each and every season until shown otherwise. because everything we build or acquire doesn't mean jack s**t if we can't stay healthy. so theres no point in getting all wrapped up in "needs" or "holes" or "strengths". none of it f**king matters if we are constantly snake-bitten to start every year. just so over it

I feel you. Breida was a perfect illustration with our frustrations with health. The dude clearly was a huge part of the game plan coming in and he gets rolling and dominating and then BAM, injured. Kyle has to scrap the OZ game plan and now go IZ with Morris. Now BeatHard has to throw 60 times.

that's why expectations in the offseason for your team should always be treated with caution. because that can change in the snap of a finger. or an acl. whatever.
that's why expectations in the offseason for your team should always be treated with caution. because that can change in the snap of a finger. or an acl. whatever.

Yup! Our, now 5 year history, is a big reason why I only picked us to win 7 games and that was with a healthy JG. Nope.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I can't help but think how a legitimate edge pass rusher could help this defense.

29th in points per game

Believe it or not we are almost a top 10 defense if you are looking at yards. Another positive note and I cant find the stat but saw it on twitter, we are top 10 in allowing the least explosive plays.

We are dead last in turnover margin per game. That means we are turning it over more than we are getting turnovers. This has more to do with the offense turning the ball over too much and if we improve in this area I guarantee we wouldn't be 29th pts given up.

A positive on offense is according to PFF we have a top 5 graded offensive line. McClinchey leads the league in run blocking grades.

So there are some positives happening. We just shooting ourselves in the foot by turnovers and injuries.

These stats have been inflated by context I think. We are pretty good against the run (as we should be with 4 DTs on up front!). Thing is, the Minny and KC games, they built such big leads early that they went into clock-kill mode in the second halfs. I don't think we're anywhere near Top 10 when it matters. 17th in 3rd-down D is probably the most representative stat.

29th in points per game

Yeah, we're dead last with only 3 forced TO's which is historically bad (our team history). It was a big issue last year too.

No doubt we're great against the run...we've got 1,200 pounds of beef up front in a 4-3 with Foster and Warner covering up any holes plus a great DL rotation. But unfortunately, it's at the expense of no pass rush, like you noted and that has a massive ripple effect.

I have no doubt we have talent on defense and health permitting, is probably top 10-15 at least for talent but missing two critical pieces (a few excellent ER's and another veteran CB).

The real concerns lie with Saleh, fundamentals, and the lack of development for many of the position groups via poor position coaches...player regression.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 11, 2018 at 8:09 AM ]
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
These stats have been inflated by context I think. We are pretty good against the run (as we should be with 4 DTs on up front!). Thing is, the Minny and KC games, they built such big leads early that they went into clock-kill mode in the second halfs. I don't think we're anywhere near Top 10 when it matters. 17th in 3rd-down D is probably the most representative stat.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:

Exactly.

This is how I look at our running game. When do we run and against whom? Are running to close out games because we have the lead and we can run out the clock methodically preserving the lead against inferior lines? Or are we running because that's the only offense we effectively have? And most importantly, can we run in the red zone? Rushing TDs are IMHO just as of an important stat as total rushing yards.
Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
9ers would get whooped by Alabama right now.

Ridiculous comment. The greatest college team is no match for the worst pro team.

Absolutely! I said that about the mid-2000's atrocious team under Dennis Erickson and how Pete Carroll's USC teams would destroy us. My dad knocked some sense into me.

Any NFL franchise has College All-stars from top to bottom. So taking ONE college team with, at most, 7-8 guys (on the whole team) that will sniff an NFL roster spot and putting them up against the WORST NFL team...they would get their asses BEAT!

Foolishness.
Wish we would've taken Malik Hooker instead of Solobust Thomas.. Would've been set at single high safety for years.
BOTTOM LINE REVISED

That every single block of text you wrote doesn't mean jack s**t if we start each and every season injured this much from top to bottom!

Which is precisely why we seriously need to upgrade the quality of our depth as well.

Many of the same holes we had last year, shannylynch little to nothing address that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Many of the same holes we had last year, shannylynch little to nothing address that.

Not entirely true. Going into the offseason our biggest needs were Edge Rusher, CB, OG, WR, RB, LB

They addressed everything but edge rusher and WR. Yeah they should have done something with those positions but our roster is a lot better then what it was 2 years ago and i'll give them this coming offseason before I start to criticize their rebuilding plan.
The biggest problem this team has ? Here's my 2 cents
I think it's their schemes on offense and defense
They tried to upper the complexity of it this offseason but they have too much young players that aren't used to the systems
I think they finished great last year cos kyle adapted his scheme for Garoppolo and the result was great
This year they were and are still on the learning curve and so they overthink too much
And i dont even expect us to master it in 2019
Look the job mc vay is doing with Goff : he knows Goff has to see the all field from the snap if not he's confused so he adapts his scheme to his players
The problem with kyle and saleh is that they expect players to adapt to the scheme.
What solomon is still doing has a down lineman. I totally agree with donte whitner he's a 3-4 OLB à la Ahmad Brooks... etc
can we just get a little good fortune sometime soon please .
Not entirely true. Going into the offseason our biggest needs were Edge Rusher, CB, OG, WR, RB, LB

They addressed everything but edge rusher and WR. Yeah they should have done something with those positions but our roster is a lot better then what it was 2 years ago and i'll give them this coming offseason before I start to criticize their rebuilding plan.

We traded up in the 2nd for a receiver.
Share 49erswebzone