There are 173 users in the forums

State of the Team, Roster Analysis, & Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh Lord...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I feel like lynch has failed us. Our oline sucks. Staley is old. The only keeper is mcglinchey. Our rbs are a bunch of ragtag misfits. Our corners consist of old ass Sherman and one foot in the casket Ward and varret. Our safeties essentially existed from the baalke era. He did rebuild the line backers and dline, but how they perform remains to be seen. They are a 5-11 team until they prove otherwise. And don't get me started on saleh. Remember, they were headed to 1-2 when Jimmy went down last year. (Could have been 0-3 if that pick 6 wasnt called back).

I think Lynch and Kyle have done alright with what they've been given. But, this is year three of the rebuild - the team has to start showing signs.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think you guys are panicking - coaches are only as good as their players. We need better players to coach - once we upgrade our starting talent then the team will improve.

I have to respectfully disagree with you Mayo... Now...is it possible that guys like Colbert and Tartt were overrated but we need only go back as far as the Harbaugh era when Jim brought in a first class coaching staff and voila....you went from a sub .500 team to a solid playoff team in one season. Coaching was a big part of that. If one looks at the Ram team now, McVay hired veteran coordinators (and actually, former head coaches) to help him in his first year as head coach and it has worked out beautifully.

Now, I do agree with you that the NIners don't have as much talent as the Rams or the NIners in 2011 but....this team does have young talent and it is up to the coaching staff to help develop and bring out the best in that talent...and I do not believe that is being done. Finally, not all of the coaches are doing a poor job but if I were Lynch / Shanny, I would look at replacing the DB coach and perhaps even Saleh. The bottom line is that there are far too many missed assignments and mental errors on defense. Also, even though AA finally seems to have found a nitch on the DL, the coordinators still haven't found a way to utilize Thomas.

Most coaches are only as good as their QB, and most QBs are only as good as their Online.

Then every once in a while you have a QB that makes their Oline and coach look amazing.

and then you have Bill Parcels, who is going to s**t excellence everywhere he goes.

Some coaches can turn crappy teams into a playoff threat even if they have no business being in the playoffs.
I feel like lynch has failed us. Our oline sucks. Staley is old. The only keeper is mcglinchey. Our rbs are a bunch of ragtag misfits. Our corners consist of old ass Sherman and one foot in the casket Ward and varret. Our safeties essentially existed from the baalke era. He did rebuild the line backers and dline, but how they perform remains to be seen. They are a 5-11 team until they prove otherwise. And don't get me started on saleh. Remember, they were headed to 1-2 when Jimmy went down last year. (Could have been 0-3 if that pick 6 wasnt called back).

Staley is still performing at a very high level, yet all you say is "he is old" lol.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Staley is still performing at a very high level, yet all you say is "he is old" lol.

I just saw him get smoked by Frank Clark? And besides the plan is to move mcglinchey to lt, and what's the plan for rt? And the guards are atrocious.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 28, 2019 at 6:40 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

I think Lynch and Kyle have done alright with what they've been given. But, this is year three of the rebuild - the team has to start showing signs.

Not that preseason means anything, but the backups are 3-0 in preseason. So that's *a* sign that things are different this year. Now, in the regular season is where you are right, gotta move the win loss towards the .500 mark. With ford and Bosa healthy and Jimmy too, I think that's .500 right there.
I think it's interesting that some fans look at this team and see big improvement and predict playoffs and and others see a 5-11 team that is old? and lacking in star power. I think the truth is somewhere in between and we're still another good off season away from being a real contender. Most everyone knows the O line needs some help and I'm sure the front office knows it too. Heading into the draft we had 6 picks but we were able to address pass rush and wide receiver which were both at the top of everyone's list. Next year it will be the O line and we won't need to use all our draft on defense and receivers.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I just saw him get smoked by Frank Clark? And besides the plan is to move mcglinchey to lt, and what's the plan for rt? And the guards are atrocious.

Frank Clark has become a premier pass rusher. Other than giving up the one sack to him he's looked fine.

We all assume that McGlinchey will move to LT but I don't think Kyle has ever actually said it. I think we'll add a few more OL in draft and free agency over the next couple offseasons.

Looking back at the original post, I see we addressed pretty much everything I said they should, except the offensive line. That is, unless you consider signing a handful of journeymen and going with Garland as a backup "addressing" the issue. Coleman I believe was supposed to be more than just a swing tackle. I think there was a good chance they intended to groom him as a RT of the future. With his injury, I think we need to draft one higher next year or look for trades/free agents for insurance. Healthy, it would've been interesting to see if they planned for a future with McGlinchey at LT and Coleman at RT.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM ]

Share 49ersWebzone