There are 97 users in the forums

State of the Team, Roster Analysis, & Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with everything except for SAM. I'd put that last. We've all seen by now how trivial that position is. In fact, if they plan to keep him around, I'm fine with keeping Malcolm Smith there.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
The biggest problem this team has ? Here's my 2 cents
I think it's their schemes on offense and defense
They tried to upper the complexity of it this offseason but they have too much young players that aren't used to the systems
I think they finished great last year cos kyle adapted his scheme for Garoppolo and the result was great
This year they were and are still on the learning curve and so they overthink too much
And i dont even expect us to master it in 2019
Look the job mc vay is doing with Goff : he knows Goff has to see the all field from the snap if not he's confused so he adapts his scheme to his players
The problem with kyle and saleh is that they expect players to adapt to the scheme.
What solomon is still doing has a down lineman. I totally agree with donte whitner he's a 3-4 OLB à la Ahmad Brooks... etc

Solly as a 3-4 OLB

Can't say I agree with that.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
9ers would get whooped by Alabama right now.

wont happen
Originally posted by Heroism:
I agree with everything except for SAM. I'd put that last. We've all seen by now how trivial that position is. In fact, if they plan to keep him around, I'm fine with keeping Malcolm Smith there.

Yeah, Smith is fine for base. Now, for nickel...need that strong side ER.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Most disappointing year by a mile since last year Harbaugh. Depressing s**t

Did you not watch 2016? Lol
Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
9ers would get whooped by Alabama right now.

Ridiculous comment. The greatest college team is no match for the worst pro team.

I like to think people are just trolling when they make claims like that.

If you created an FBS All-Star team and had them play against the NFL's worst bench players, then MAYBE there could be some debate. Even then I'm taking the latter to win by 20.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

This is worse imo. We had hopes these guys would turn it around.
Originally posted by susweel:

People had hopes in 2016, too. As delusional as they were.
He's a good look at the state of the team right now lol

Well i didn't have much hopes. Baalke's roster was crap no money was spent on free agency. These dudes have brought in their own guys and spent money in free agency. Things were supposed to be different but its much of the same.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Not entirely true. Going into the offseason our biggest needs were Edge Rusher, CB, OG, WR, RB, LB

They addressed everything but edge rusher and WR. Yeah they should have done something with those positions but our roster is a lot better then what it was 2 years ago and i'll give them this coming offseason before I start to criticize their rebuilding plan.

We traded up in the 2nd for a receiver.

We drafted two slot receivers. Unfortunately, we already had a relatively good one of those.
This has been my point to the negative posters saying that Lynch and Shanny are failing at Thier jobs. We went with a total overhaul last year, a full rebuild. For people expecting us to be above .500 are dreaming. We are in year 2 of this rebuild. Yes injuries have really hurt us this year but we still have holes to fill. We could be completely healthy and we would still have the same holes
It is going to take time. We should know this.
Excellent post OTC
Originally posted by 49Fever:
The biggest problem this team has ? Here's my 2 cents
I think it's their schemes on offense and defense
They tried to upper the complexity of it this offseason but they have too much young players that aren't used to the systems
I think they finished great last year cos kyle adapted his scheme for Garoppolo and the result was great
This year they were and are still on the learning curve and so they overthink too much
And i dont even expect us to master it in 2019
Look the job mc vay is doing with Goff : he knows Goff has to see the all field from the snap if not he's confused so he adapts his scheme to his players
The problem with kyle and saleh is that they expect players to adapt to the scheme.
What solomon is still doing has a down lineman. I totally agree with donte whitner he's a 3-4 OLB à la Ahmad Brooks... etc

You don't hire Kyle Shanahan and then dumb down his scheme. There's no pt of hiring a offensive mind of his caliber if that's the plan. Also the scheme overall isn't awful, just the verbiage.

Same with the defensive scheme it's not complex at all. The system is fine they're just blowing coverage assignments and missing tackles

And to say Thomas is a 3-4 OLB and that he actually played it in college (which he stated) is straight laughable...so we want Thomas in coverage more? We want him to continue to rush off the edge? Those are things a 3-4 OLB does. Also I'd love to see the flim of him doing all that in college.

Everyone thought Chip could resurrect Kap. Then we just did non stop 3 and outs and everyone blamed Jim O'Neil lol.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
This has been my point to the negative posters saying that Lynch and Shanny are failing at Thier jobs. We went with a total overhaul last year, a full rebuild. For people expecting us to be above .500 are dreaming. We are in year 2 of this rebuild. Yes injuries have really hurt us this year but we still have holes to fill. We could be completely healthy and we would still have the same holes
It is going to take time. We should know this.
Excellent post OTC

Year two of a rebuild + catastrophic injuries to multiple star/key starters on the team = the results we're seeing.

Multiple games we've should've won but lost ALL due to turnovers at the worst possible times in scoring position.
Share 49erswebzone