Jeff Wilson headed to IR, Deebo Samuel likely to miss next two games, says Kyle Shanahan →
Alert Follow us at @49erswz until Twitter fixes the issues with our official account.

There are 214 users in the forums

State of the Team, Roster Analysis, & Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You don't hire Kyle Shanahan and then dumb down his scheme. There's no pt of hiring a offensive mind of his caliber if that's the plan. Also the scheme overall isn't awful, just the verbiage.

Same with the defensive scheme it's not complex at all. The system is fine they're just blowing coverage assignments and missing tackles

And to say Thomas is a 3-4 OLB and that he actually played it in college (which he stated) is straight laughable...so we want Thomas in coverage more? We want him to continue to rush off the edge? Those are things a 3-4 OLB does. Also I'd love to see the flim of him doing all that in college.

I want Thomas to kick inside to Defensive Tackle in certain sub packages. The Seahawks did it with Michael Bennett all the time.
This season sucks but I think we are on the right track and there are some positives. We don't suck at every faucet of the game like we had in previous years.

Its just going to take longer then most of us expected. When ShannyLynch was first hired everyone seemed to think it would be at least 4 years to get a decent team together. Then Jimmy G came along with his magic and changed everyone's perception and we were talking playoffs in year 2. Unfortunately injuries has decimated this team.

There still a lot of work to do on the roster but IMO we are a lot better off then 2-3 years ago.
He's a good look at the state of the team right now lol

Well yes it was sort of KS, cause it was similar to what happened last year....
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
This has been my point to the negative posters saying that Lynch and Shanny are failing at Thier jobs. We went with a total overhaul last year, a full rebuild. For people expecting us to be above .500 are dreaming. We are in year 2 of this rebuild. Yes injuries have really hurt us this year but we still have holes to fill. We could be completely healthy and we would still have the same holes
It is going to take time. We should know this.
Excellent post OTC

Year two of a rebuild + catastrophic injuries to multiple star/key starters on the team = the results we're seeing.

Multiple games we've should've won but lost ALL due to turnovers at the worst possible times in scoring position.

Exactly The only positive out of this is it's giving some young guys playing time or as they usually wouldn't so it allows us to see if they can handle it. Or even up their value if we decide to move them.
There is one thing that really is awful yet not mentioned. We still do not pick up blitzes well. Sometimes not at all. Why is that still happening? It is like Saleh does one thing at time before moving onto the next. I don't want to say picking up blitzes is easy. But he way we let almost all blitzers in is dismaying. And like our tackling woes, we don't appear to be any better picking up blitzers than we were last yr.
  • thl408
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
There is one thing that really is awful yet not mentioned. We still do not pick up blitzes well. Sometimes not at all. Why is that still happening? It is like Saleh does one thing at time before moving onto the next. I don't want to say picking up blitzes is easy. But he way we let almost all blitzers in is dismaying. And like our tackling woes, we don't appear to be any better picking up blitzers than we were last yr.
We can blame many of the things wrong with this world on Saleh, but not picking up blitzes well is not his fault.
It is clear, as it was said many many times during past years that db is our main weakness. Can not believe how lynch and shanaahan did not see this, especially having Adams James and Fitzpatrick available.

I do agree with the fullback signing (not the money, though), breida was a good find and the offense should be good next year, even without garcon.

We need to use the high picks as well as the fa on db / er , and this team could easily contend. Having a high pick should help get into the playoffs next season, barring a similar injury streak.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
We can blame many of the things wrong with this world on Saleh, but not picking up blitzes well is not his fault.

Lol
State of Team: Worst in the NFL
Roster: Decimated by injuries
Needs: Pass rusher (#1 priority by a wide margin), CB, WR
Outlook: Considering we may be the worst team in the league, our outlook is actually pretty good. We should have a top 5 pick and with the bevy of outstanding pass rushers coming, our "loser schedule" next year, and the inevitable cap hell the Rams will go through after this year, we could easily go from worst to first in the division.

And like he said, with Garoppolo and McKinnon out, that's 10 of his 11 starters out. Welcome to the curse, Kyle.

Too many holes.
We're 3 or 4 years from fightning for a playoff spot.
Excellent post. I agree with most of the analysis (although a little too rosy is some spots) except CB. Outside of Sherman (who is aging) we have below average players. We have not invested a 1st or 2nd round pick at CB is about 15 years, and it shows.

My version of team needs:
1) Pass rusher (DE/OLB)
2) CB
3) FS
4) WR
5) G

Most of these need to be above average starters if not top tier players.
Originally posted by 4-islander-9:
Too many holes.
We're 3 or 4 years from fightning for a playoff spot.

No. No team is 3 or 4 years away with the current Salary Cap and draft setup. If we get a pass rusher, we'll be in playoff contention next season.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No. No team is 3 or 4 years away with the current Salary Cap and draft setup. If we get a pass rusher, we'll be in playoff contention next season.

This. With a healthy Garoppolo and the others + a quality pass rusher and other additions that will come via the draft and FA/trades, I like this team's chances next season to be in playoff contention.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

And like he said, with Garoppolo and McKinnon out, that's 10 of his 11 starters out. Welcome to the curse, Kyle.

What's poppin on the trade market tho, think we'll deal?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000972436/article/top-10-trade-candidates-the-leveon-bell-conundrum
Share 49erswebzone