There are 177 users in the forums

⛏ SF 49ERS @ GB PACKERS 🧀 GAMEDAY Thread - 2018 Season Week 6

Shop Find 49ers gear online

⛏ SF 49ERS @ GB PACKERS 🧀 GAMEDAY Thread - 2018 Season Week 6

Well, at least we weren't boring like last year without Jimmy. Just heartbreakingly below average at the end.
Lynch needs to trade for a CB and Cooper. Garcon is on a serious decline and Cooper would give us a great #2 WR.
Any CB not currently on our team would be an upgrade to go alongside Sherman.
Eh, Lynch might as well get a couple safties while he's out shopping
Originally posted by SupremeLeader16:
That's why we drafted him though. We didn't spend a 7 overall pick just to be a body on the d line. He's 6'8" and suppose to be disruptive. He only had one tackle against the chargers and two last night including a sack he wasn't even blocked on.

Dude he's got 4 and a 1/2 sacks this yr and is 2nd in the league in QB pressure among all DT, he's got a 1/2 sack more than Campbell and Donald right now. What he's doing right now is exactly what being disruptive is at DT.

Throw in he's got zero help on the edge to push QBs up in the pocket and is getting doubled all day.

Open your eyes dude. He's an elite DT, if you don't think so I don't know what to tell...ya you got unrealistic expectations.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 16, 2018 at 5:14 AM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Couple more players and this team is there...people gotta be patient

This, and getting our qb back. We're heading in the right direction, I don't feel hopeless like the tomsula and Kelly regime

For real...they don't have the talent to over come the turnovers right now.

Anyone who thinks our HC is awful and needs to go doesn't deserve to have a good HC with that crap talk.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by bakefootball:
I really don't understand why he called deep routes on that 3rd and 3? Check it out... it looked like all the receivers ran 10+ yard routes ... I don't get it

Again it was cover zero there was NO safety back there you throw the ball to Goodwin every time they're showing that. The issue was CJ under threw the ball...that's unacceptable in that situation, if anything you over throw the ball so that Goodwin is the only person that can get it (no one there besides the one CB).

He didn't place the ball on the outside shoulder that was the problem if he puts the ball on the other side of Goodwin's body it's a touchdown. Tough mistake

Yeah at the very least don't under throw the ball. There was pressure, I get it but you gonna throw that ball further downfield with Goodwin one on one. At the very least it's a incomplete pass.
My takeaways from last night:

1. Beathard is an above average back-up in this league. I'm actually glad he is getting the opportunity to get real reps, so he will be ready in the future if he is needed for short term relief.

2. We have weapons. Breida is only about 75% healthy and he was still dangerous. Kittle and Goodwin are core players. I am anxious to see Pettis get back out there and see if he can supplant Garcon.

3. The defensive line is talented. Thomas, Buckner, Blair, Armstead, and even Mitchell made plays. Obviously still need a pass rusher, but the line is far from crap.

4. Our safety play is atrocious. Tartt needs to step up and make a play on some of those outside runs that were gashing the defense. Colbert hasn't made a play yet this season.

5. We're close...
Originally posted by Karma:
My takeaways from last night:

1. Beathard is an above average back-up in this league. I'm actually glad he is getting the opportunity to get real reps, so he will be ready in the future if he is needed for short term relief.

2. We have weapons. Breida is only about 75% healthy and he was still dangerous. Kittle and Goodwin are core players. I am anxious to see Pettis get back out there and see if he can supplant Garcon.

3. The defensive line is talented. Thomas, Buckner, Blair, Armstead, and even Mitchell made plays. Obviously still need a pass rusher, but the line is far from crap.

4. Our safety play is atrocious. Tartt needs to step up and make a play on some of those outside runs that were gashing the defense. Colbert hasn't made a play yet this season.

5. We're close...

This! Agree with you 100%. I also think we need a big body possession receiver as well. I think Josh Gordon would've been a great acquisition, but I'm glad we didn't trade for him. I think the risks would far outweigh the rewards.

How do y'all feel about them adding Tom Savage? I'd rather they get a practice squad QB like Josh Woodrum, that was on the Ravens the last couple seasons.
Brick by brick, another #1 pick
To do list for the offseason:
New DC:It was really clear last night how badly these guys are being coached. Corners especially seem to have zero idea what to do when presented with different formations.
Speaking of Corners: big need here, after Sherman..they are all bad. Some might be salvaged with proper coaching but we need to spend some middle round draft capital here.
Weapons: We need more than Goodwin and Kittle in the passing game for when Jimmy comes back. Garcon is done and the kids aren't developing the way I had hoped. I say early rounder or free agent depending on what shakes loose.
Pass Rush: Were slightly better than advertised here, but it is definitely where our first round pick should go...it looks like we might be in the Bosa hunt and obviously if we are, he is a no brainer.
Lastly O-line: They had a pretty good game all in all so I almost feel bad adding them, but we need improvement at Guards and an eventual successor for Staley, though it isn't as pressing as the others I could see an early, a middle and a late pic being used.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Oct 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM ]
This team sucks and it's going to be a long time before we have enough talent to make the playoffs. Also coaching leaves a lot to be desired.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Brick by brick, another #1 pick

Lol

Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNinerNut:
The defense was in a no-win situation with the game within one score the entire fourth quarter. When we needed the offense to come in an put this game away, they choked. You knew the defense wasn't going to be able to hold Rodgers down if the game was close and still in reach, did you? The defense did everything it could to keep the game close, praying and hoping the offense would come in and play like they did to build that 30-point lead in the first 3-plus quarters, but they didn't. They went 3-and-out on back-to-back possessions and then turned the ball over on their final drive to allow Rodgers to do what he always does when given the opportunity. No, this loss came because the offense disappeared down the stretch when we needed them to close this game out and keep Rodgers off the field so he could work his magic.

I feel like the defense played their best game of the year when you consider the turnovers, how many times they stopped Green Bay on third down and forced them to kick FG's. The offense completely collapsed down the stretch which led to Rodgers finally breaking through late.

Yup. This era is catered for offenses to thrive. even average qBs these days can have good games because of new rules. Even good defenses (sooner or later) give up 30+ points on occasion. Our defense did well considering all the circumstances (injuries, rookies, poor coaching, etc.).

Everyone made a lot of good plays and a few bad ones.

HOWEVER, let's put that behind us....fast forward to 1:55 mark and 3 TIMEOUTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD (THREE)!!

We're tied and the game is basically 0-0 at that point. Shanny has got to be aware of the state of mind of his QB / oline and whatever playmakers were on the field. We can't run on 3 downs. I get it. BUT why the f**k do we have to pass for 20+ yards on that play? WHY!!!!

We could've went a little conservative there since we were just trying to get into FG range. We didn't even have to rush to the line of scrimmage, we could've crawled to it. Run, short pass, run...

WHERE WAS THE CREATIVITY?! Are the Patriots the only ones who can properly orchestrate a two minute drill?!!

It's 0-0 at that point...

CJ f**ked up with that pass. WHY was that play even called? Why have a play that might require your QB to hold onto the ball for 3+ seconds? Shanny has got to know that the kid (inexperienced backup QB) has to get rid of the ball quick to avoid possibility of a sack / turnover

Yup, both our young coaches spit the bit under pressure.

Let's hope they learn from this, could have passed shot in the middle, could have ran the ball, we needed what 30 yards to kick a game winner. If we ran the ball, we could have kicked that FG with no time on the clock.

And Saleh, all game press coverage and blitz's weee killing Rodgers...so let's back off and give him a soft zone to carve up....why?

Fear, fear of Rodgers doing what he did causes our young coaches to make the kind of mistakes that are self fulfilling profacies of doom!

Yes I understand they're younger than the average age, but Shanny has been around offense / football all his life. I don't expect much from Saleh, he's totally inexperienced and has no business being a DC at this point (learning on the job). Shanny has been in the spotlight / bigger games many many times... this is what I can't comprehend, that is what is so frustrating.

I think both our coaches fell to the Montana Effect. The Montana Effect is when coaches facing great QBs with a history of last minut heroics, panic and get cute.

With 1:45 and three time outs, our run game was on fire, the O-line has dominated all night, we come out throwing, looking for a touch down when a field goal would do.

Then when that failed, and CJ tossed the pick, our defense goes soft, abandoning the strategy that was working, out of fear they would get carved up, and they ofcourse go carved up.

If we ran on first down, stayed on schedule, used our run game and time outs, we could have killed the clock, and set up a game winning FG try, and Rodgers would have never got off the bench, but they, like many coaches panicked, the Montana Effect.
That was about the most painful loss I've experienced since the Superbowl loss to the Ravens. Heartbreaking !
[ Edited by 4T-9ers on Oct 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
To do list for the offseason:
New DC:It was really clear last night how badly these guys are being coached. Corners especially seem to have zero idea what to do when presented with different formations.
Speaking of Corners: big need here, after Sherman..they are all bad. Some might be salvaged with proper coaching but we need to spend some middle round draft capital here.
Weapons: We need more than Goodwin and Kittle in the passing game for when Jimmy comes back. Garcon is done and the kids aren't developing the way I had hoped. I say early rounder or free agent depending on what shakes loose.
Pass Rush: Were slightly better than advertised here, but it is definitely where our first round pick should go...it looks like we might be in the Bosa hunt and obviously if we are, he is a no brainer.
Lastly O-line: They had a pretty good game all in all so I almost feel bad adding them, but we need improvement at Guards and an eventual successor for Staley, though it isn't as pressing as the others I could see an early, a middle and a late pic being used.

Edge rusher is the top priority, they make the secondary better. Top pick and FA upgrade.

I'd like to bring in a couple FA guys at DB and maybe spend a 3rd on a guy. At some pt see what Moore has got. Not sure if spoon really sucks this bad or what?

DC: gotta have a upgrade available, maybe Kris Richard in Dallas? That would be my top pick if they made a move (which I'm not sure they will).

WR- gotta upgrade from garcon, draft has a lot of big bodied WRs and a kid like Amari Cooper is worth looking at in a trade.

OL-our OL is just fine. They will have to upgrade tackle in a yr or so but that's for another yr.
Sounds like some people in here are in there feelings about the mounting loses. I wonder how they would feel if cj had hit kittle wide open in the flat or the refs would not have made that incidental contact call on Sherman when defo got the sack. And for the people who are calling defo a bust are just not paying attention.The coaching is ok except for a few questionable offensive play calls there at the end and did any one notice how the 9ers for the most part rallied to the football on defense. Even if a tackle was missed there was always someone there to take up the slack. Bottom line ... this team doesn't now how to win yet but all the people in here who are crying and calling this team the worst team ever would have taken a 33 -30 loss to the packers in lambeau before the game started. I'll be a Niner for life but these loses hurt and until we eliminate the mistakes ,blown coverages, turnovers and penalties we will have a hard time winning in this league. We have good enough players to where we had what some call a super bowl contender on the ropes until the last two minutes of the game.... let that sink in... 2 minutes and the narrative in here is a whole lot different.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
How bout that Ronald Blair tho

He showed what potentially having a capable edge rusher can do to this defense.

#Bosa
Share 49ersWebzone