There are 207 users in the forums

⛏ SF 49ERS @ GB PACKERS 🧀 GAMEDAY Thread - 2018 Season Week 6

Shop Find 49ers gear online

⛏ SF 49ERS @ GB PACKERS 🧀 GAMEDAY Thread - 2018 Season Week 6

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think both our coaches fell to the Montana Effect. The Montana Effect is when coaches facing great QBs with a history of last minut heroics, panic and get cute.

With 1:45 and three time outs, our run game was on fire, the O-line has dominated all night, we come out throwing, looking for a touch down when a field goal would do.

Then when that failed, and CJ tossed the pick, our defense goes soft, abandoning the strategy that was working, out of fear they would get carved up, and they ofcourse go carved up.

If we ran on first down, stayed on schedule, used our run game and time outs, we could have killed the clock, and set up a game winning FG try, and Rodgers would have never got off the bench, but they, like many coaches panicked, the Montana Effect.
Our run game was NOT on fire at the end of the game. GB had stuffed everything in the final minutes.
I think both our coaches fell to the Montana Effect. The Montana Effect is when coaches facing great QBs with a history of last minut heroics, panic and get cute.

With 1:45 and three time outs, our run game was on fire, the O-line has dominated all night, we come out throwing, looking for a touch down when a field goal would do.

Then when that failed, and CJ tossed the pick, our defense goes soft, abandoning the strategy that was working, out of fear they would get carved up, and they ofcourse go carved up.

If we ran on first down, stayed on schedule, used our run game and time outs, we could have killed the clock, and set up a game winning FG try, and Rodgers would have never got off the bench, but they, like many coaches panicked, the Montana Effect.

The run game stalled after that goal line stop...GB knew we were gonna run. They were stacking the box and blitzing with about 8 mins to go. They dared CJ to throw the ball, which he was doing very effectively.

Having 3 timeouts helps us run the clock out? It's funny if Kyle ran the ball 15 times in the 4th (and didn't get any 1st Downs) people would be b***hing he wasn't being aggressive like he was for the 1st 3 QRs.

It was 3rd and 3 and they were all out blitzing on the GB 46, you don't run there. We're too far from a FG and if they get a first game over. Worst case the INT and it's basically a punt on the 15.

Defense has to stop GB with a min left and no TOs. Plain and simple. Offense can't do everything.

As long as SF keeps losing the turnover battle they aren't gonna win. Just not talented enough right now.
1-5
Originally posted by swaccmac1:
Sounds like some people in here are in there feelings about the mounting loses. I wonder how they would feel if cj had hit kittle wide open in the flat or the refs would not have made that incidental contact call on Sherman when defo got the sack. And for the people who are calling defo a bust are just not paying attention.The coaching is ok except for a few questionable offensive play calls there at the end and did any one notice how the 9ers for the most part rallied to the football on defense. Even if a tackle was missed there was always someone there to take up the slack. Bottom line ... this team doesn't now how to win yet but all the people in here who are crying and calling this team the worst team ever would have taken a 33 -30 loss to the packers in lambeau before the game started. I'll be a Niner for life but these loses hurt and until we eliminate the mistakes ,blown coverages, turnovers and penalties we will have a hard time winning in this league. We have good enough players to where we had what some call a super bowl contender on the ropes until the last two minutes of the game.... let that sink in... 2 minutes and the narrative in here is a whole lot different.

The only logical thing to do is fire everyone
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
1-5

yeah but, if we can somehow beat the rams on sunday, we have the cardinals giants and raiders back to back .... we could easily be 5-5 lol !!!!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Sounds like some people in here are in there feelings about the mounting loses. I wonder how they would feel if cj had hit kittle wide open in the flat or the refs would not have made that incidental contact call on Sherman when defo got the sack. And for the people who are calling defo a bust are just not paying attention.The coaching is ok except for a few questionable offensive play calls there at the end and did any one notice how the 9ers for the most part rallied to the football on defense. Even if a tackle was missed there was always someone there to take up the slack. Bottom line ... this team doesn't now how to win yet but all the people in here who are crying and calling this team the worst team ever would have taken a 33 -30 loss to the packers in lambeau before the game started. I'll be a Niner for life but these loses hurt and until we eliminate the mistakes ,blown coverages, turnovers and penalties we will have a hard time winning in this league. We have good enough players to where we had what some call a super bowl contender on the ropes until the last two minutes of the game.... let that sink in... 2 minutes and the narrative in here is a whole lot different.

yeah ..... the sky is falling and every one we have sucks .... look at the upcoming schedule we have a chance

yeah ..... the sky is falling and every one we have sucks .... look at the upcoming schedule we have a chance

No, this season is over, we should just forfeit lol
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

The run game stalled after that goal line stop...GB knew we were gonna run. They were stacking the box and blitzing with about 8 mins to go. They dared CJ to throw the ball, which he was doing very effectively.

Having 3 timeouts helps us run the clock out? It's funny if Kyle ran the ball 15 times in the 4th (and didn't get any 1st Downs) people would be b***hing he wasn't being aggressive like he was for the 1st 3 QRs.

It was 3rd and 3 and they were all out blitzing on the GB 46, you don't run there. We're too far from a FG and if they get a first game over. Worst case the INT and it's basically a punt on the 15.

Defense has to stop GB with a min left and no TOs. Plain and simple. Offense can't do everything.

As long as SF keeps losing the turnover battle they aren't gonna win. Just not talented enough right now.

I would have gone 3 wide and dropped an inside zone run on em during 2nd and 3 to try and get the first. Takes another 30 seconds off the clock.

What I didn't like about the 3rd and 3. Doubles tight with Juice in to block. GB shows zero blitz. That means 1 guy is running free unblocked to the QB. CJ never had time to make a good throw on that play. I would have called a TO once GB showed that blitz.

On D, I would have called a TO before the 3rd and 15 GB play. Defense looked confused. See what formation GB rolls out. Regroup and dial up a good defense play. Give the D an extra break and a pep talk.

Yes giving GB 9 points off of turnovers was a killer.
49ers are -11 TO. Worst in the league.

The offense should be able to pick up a 1st down to ice a game and a TD in the second half is always helpful.
Originally posted by SoCold:
I would have gone 3 wide and dropped an inside zone run on em during 2nd and 3 to try and get the first. Takes another 30 seconds off the clock.

What I didn't like about the 3rd and 3. Doubles tight with Juice in to block. GB shows zero blitz. That means 1 guy is running free unblocked to the QB. CJ never had time to make a good throw on that play. I would have called a TO once GB showed that blitz.

On D, I would have called a TO before the 3rd and 15 GB play. Defense looked confused. See what formation GB rolls out. Regroup and dial up a good defense play. Give the D an extra break and a pep talk.

Yes giving GB 9 points off of turnovers was a killer.
49ers are -11 TO. Worst in the league.

Agree with a lot here.

We lost the game because Jimmy G tore his ACL.

In late game situations a franchise QB makes all of the difference. Jimmy doesn't get rattled with a zero blitz and miss wide open guys on the blitz beaters. With Jimmy, Shanny doesn't call conservative runs deep in our own territory so as to not put too much on the young backup QB (which is the right thing to do). With Jimmy defenses don't load the box to win the game.

Like 99% of NFL teams would be, our season ended that fateful Sunday in KC when Jimmy tried to get cute and blew his knee out. The best we can do is relish in the fact that we're giving teams everything they can handle at half strength. We also have a superstar wideout that can take over games in Marquise Goodwin. We have a potentially superstar RB in Matt Breida, a beast of a tight end and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

Feel good in the fact that with Nick Bosa on this defense and a ton of money in the bank, we're not only talking about a 2019 playoff run, we're talking about a deep playoff run.

This is the best case scenario considering that we were barely a 500 team this season even with Jimmy. Let's continue to give teams the booty sweats until we can come back full strength.

Relax. Do not panic. I know we're sick of sucking and watching the team lose is hard, but we lost our FQB. There's not much teams can do when this happens.

I was on the "Fire Saleh" bandwagon, but when he actually started scheming blitzes, the D line looked scary. Hopefully he learned something and will be that aggressive in the future. The secondary is the secondary. They get burned if we don't blitz and they will get burned when we do. Time for the dudes to learn and grow.
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Oct 16, 2018 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Our run game was NOT on fire at the end of the game. GB had stuffed everything in the final minutes.

I have been thinking about that, it looks like they rested their nose tackle and saved him for the fourth quarter. Also, I wonder where Moro's was, and if Breadia was healthy at the end.

All that said, if you know it's do or die, four down football, you can get by with a 3.5 yard average. Also running in that first down would have kept the offense diverse, keeping the play action relevant.

I didn't like the play calling at the end of last weeks loss, and I'm not onboard with it this week either.

Both games were winnable, and yet here we are.

I'm not saying fire anyone, or make drastic changes, I'm saying I hope the coaching staff learns from this.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
1-5

yeah but, if we can somehow beat the rams on sunday, we have the cardinals giants and raiders back to back .... we could easily be 5-5 lol !!!!!

If we won those tight games earlier we'd be undefeated.
Lot's of good things in this game ended up going for naught. CJ looked better as a backup even though he did under throw Goodwin on that interception. He looked great on that first deep TD pass. He actually may throw the deep ball better than Jimmy. The pass rush looked better and the running game looked good for most of the game. Thomas and Blair both played probably their best games. However, the mistakes are still happening at crucial times. Fumbles, big penalties and missed coverages just keep coming. Just keep hoping that these are growing pains and we will look back on this season as a learning experience.
I have been thinking about that, it looks like they rested their nose tackle and saved him for the fourth quarter. Also, I wonder where Moro's was, and if Breadia was healthy at the end.

All that said, if you know it's do or die, four down football, you can get by with a 3.5 yard average. Also running in that first down would have kept the offense diverse, keeping the play action relevant.

I didn't like the play calling at the end of last weeks loss, and I'm not onboard with it this week either.

Both games were winnable, and yet here we are.

I'm not saying fire anyone, or make drastic changes, I'm saying I hope the coaching staff learns from this.

I'd hope any coaching staff would learn and adjust after a loss...things to monitor as the season goes.
Share 49ersWebzone