LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Tanking?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Tanking?

• dj43
Originally posted by Stanley:
What a clown post. Of course they will address the need, and they have plenty players to choose from.

Easy. No need for a comment like that.
What a clown post. Of course they will address the need, and they have plenty players to choose from.

name them then.

Originally posted by evil:
If I were a betting man, I would put money on us adding 1-2 edge rushers in the off-season.

I wouldn't bet anything. I could see them getting some serviceable pieces on the cheap, but probably no studs.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
I am glad we won't get the first pick.

It is embarrassing to get it.
We never had a shot at Bosa. We were never going to have the #1 pick bc of SOS.

We had the number one pick coming into this Seattle game, so yes we had a shot at it.

Dafuq...all 4 teams that we needed to win or lose to give us room against AZ in SOS happened in perfect order. There was only one thing that could screw it up going into the Hawks game.

Oh well.
Professional footballers trying to win games. Whatever next?
We never had a shot at Bosa. We were never going to have the #1 pick bc of SOS.

LOL
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Very high possibility that this is nothing more than an assumption at this point.

We are so far out from the draft and having a better idea of what the top 10 will look like. We also have no idea as to what FA will bring.

We went from 100% picking Nick Bosa, to there being a high chance that we'll skip the need and draft BPA. It is no longer a sure thing anymore that we will solve the edge need in the offseason. Go in with low expectations.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on us adding 1-2 edge rushers in the off-season.

Who? Edge rushers never hit the free agency market. It'll be through the draft. Yes there are other players in the draft who may be good, but they are far more risky and less likely to be as successful as Bosa.

Keep in mind that..
1 extra win in Week 17 was the difference between drafting DeForest vs drafting Joey Bosa
1 extra win in Week 16 was the difference between drafting Solomon Thomas vs Myles Garrett

Would you rather have a DeForest/Thomas combo or Garrett/Bosa?
Originally posted by GreekFreak:
Who? Edge rushers never hit the free agency market. It'll be through the draft. Yes there are other players in the draft who may be good, but they are far more risky and less likely to be as successful as Bosa.

Keep in mind that..
1 extra win in Week 17 was the difference between drafting DeForest vs drafting Joey Bosa
1 extra win in Week 16 was the difference between drafting Solomon Thomas vs Myles Garrett

Thats not how it works.

Keep in mind that..

Chandler Jones led the league in sacks last year, the Cardinals got him for a 2nd rounder. Seattle built up their SB defense through signing pass rushers like Avril and Bennett in FA. Mack was just traded to the Bears this year. Jason Pierre Paul has 12 sacks, Tampa got him via FA.

There are many ways to get high quality pass rushers outside of the #1 pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Keep in mind that..

Chandler Jones led the league in sacks last year, the Cardinals got him for a 2nd rounder. Seattle built up their SB defense through signing pass rushers like Avril and Bennett in FA. Mack was just traded to the Bears this year. Jason Pierre Paul has 12 sacks, Tampa got him via FA.

Of course there are a ton of options and you can always find gems in the draft. But what has a higher probability of success? What % of ER drafted in the 2nd round are better than a top 3 pick ER?

If you had to bet all of your money, would you rather bet on picking the right side of a coin flip or the picking the right # on a die.

Cannot ask professional athletes to lose games on purpose, wouldn't want to have anyone who would lose on purpose on this squad or any team.

Did I want us to pick 1st? Sure. However, I can't actively root for these guys to lose when they're busting their asses. We aren't the worst team in the league, Kyle schemes O like a genius and that's with half the roster out. We can still get a great edge rusher in FA and the draft. Our pick will still be plenty high.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on Dec 18, 2018 at 12:41 AM ]

Keep in mind that..

Yup this worries me. Of Peyton Manning vs Ryan leaf. The number one pick matters big time. Let's hope Allen is close to or better than bosa
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Cannot ask professional athletes to lose games on purpose, wouldn't want to have anyone who would lose on purpose on this squad or any team.

Did I want us to pick 1st? Sure. However, I can't actively root for these guys to lose when they're busting their asses. We aren't the worst team in the league, Kyle schemes O like a genius and that's with half the roster out. We can still get a great edge rusher in FA and the draft. Our pick will still be plenty high.

Best post I've seen on the subject.
Maybe we can get a Khalil Mack/jadaveon clowney situation.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Keep in mind that..

Last year Calais Campbell was a league leader in sacks and he was a F/A. This year M.Bennett was picked up for a 4th round pick and he's on pace and has been on a tear the last 4 weeks to hit the 10 sack mark.
Share 49ersWebzone