There are 253 users in the forums

Week 2 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I really hate this reasoning.

1) A reason for a performance isn't an excuse. He needs to play better. Figuring out why he's not is NOT excusing it. Its explaining it in order to better understand whats happening. Winners find out why it isn't working and fix it. Losers throw out the baby with the bathwater.

2) They don't need Julio Jones. Sure, it would be nice, but my expectation isn't the 6th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Its a top 5 offense which is completely achievable once everyone is on the same page.

"I need to get my 2-year son to hold the cup more upright to avoid spilling the milk. Something he's going to have to work on."

"Dude stop making excuses for your son smh"
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

1) A reason for a performance isn't an excuse. He needs to play better. Figuring out why he's not is NOT excusing it. Its explaining it in order to better understand whats happening. Winners find out why it isn't working and fix it. Losers throw out the baby with the bathwater.

2) They don't need Julio Jones. Sure, it would be nice, but my expectation isn't the 6th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Its a top 5 offense which is completely achievable once everyone is on the same page.

"I need to get my 2-year son to hold the cup more upright to avoid spilling the milk. Something he's going to have to work on."

LMAO

They are still a pretty young team learning a complex offense and dealing with an injury to their top wide out. A couple of plays here or there and they could have beaten the Vikings. If Garoppolo hits that slant to Kittle they might have had another TD against the Lions. Though of course they got lucky on the interception and Stafford also had a couple of near misses. Football really is a game of inches sometimes. They are going into a really tough stretch of games that will determine how the rest of their season is going to go. The KC game will be especially tough. That is one that I thought might be a win going into the season because of their defense but with the way Mahomes is playing all bets are off.

Jimmy G. is only going into his tenth game as a starter so is probably still learning. Six sacks should be quite a teacher so we'll see how he responds. I do agree that he seems to be a bit out of sync so far this year but at the moment it still feels like he will eventually get on track. The drops haven't helped.

Witherspoon had a tough game so now we'll see how he responds. Lack of a pass rush is really hurting them. I had hoped they might be able to scheme some more pressure this year but so far that isn't happening. Clearly the Marsh experiment is a failure. Now they really will have to find somebody who can come off the edge. Still sorry they let McFadden go. I'd be curious to hear the inside story on that. He always seemed to have really good technique when he was in the game, though at times he didn't look like he was ready to mix it up on the tackling end. Wonder if it was a speed issue.

Breida really showed up to play. That long run really was something. He started out by slipping through a gap that was about 18 inches wide and then showed tremendous patience running behind Garcon for the last 10 yards or so. Hopefully he will get some more opportunities. Thought Morris was solid too. They make a pretty good combo.

Reed can really get up the field as a returner. With their kickers and Mostert and Pettis and Taylor that unit could really end up being a difference maker in some games.

All in all I thought it was a pretty good effort though, as I said, the offense still seems to be a bit out of sync. Huge test coming next week and two games under their belts to see where they need to improve. Could be an entertaining game. Go Niners!!
Great post Marvin, always a favorite.
Joe Fann had a good line.
People were encouraged by the loss to Minnesota but down about the win over the Lions.
Yeah, I want them to dominate everyone and put the fear into opponents like the 80's and early 90's Niners but even an "ehhh" over an ugly win is better than the feeling I would be having this week if they had lost.

Was interesting that Spielman was saying that Lion's CB's are taught to play the WR's arms for the ball in the air and not turn and look for the ball so that they don't lose track of their man. Is that why 49er DB's never see the ball coming? Same method?
What's up with the poor tackling? Fear of the new rule infraction?
The Lions defense was making Shermans style look like he's germaphobic the way they were grabbing the Niners WR's and TE's
[ Edited by Sourball on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
It will take Kyle Shanahan like 5 years to get Jimmy G to that Matt Ryan MVP level, and that's only if we luck out on a Julio Jones in the draft.

I don't want to hear these excuses that he's still learning the scheme. We will probably say that next year too unless these receivers step up.

At one point the offense was +17 ahead. It wasn't the offense that let the Lions back into the game.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
It will take Kyle Shanahan like 5 years to get Jimmy G to that Matt Ryan MVP level, and that's only if we luck out on a Julio Jones in the draft.

I don't want to hear these excuses that he's still learning the scheme. We will probably say that next year too unless these receivers step up.

At one point the offense was +17 ahead. It wasn't the offense that let the Lions back into the game.

well ten points were because of the defense and special teams.
Happy with where we are but still need to clean up a lot on Defense. Tired of seeing piss poor tackling technique and Tartt always looking for the big hit. I know Akhello has struggled but want to see more of an impact from our other pass rushers and safeties. Linebackers seem ok with our depth
Originally posted by susweel:

And that's a bad thing because offenses should never capitalize on what defense and special teams do....
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Sus, is that you being positive? Ok, who hacked into Susweels account! NC? JD? thl?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Sus, is that you being positive? Ok, who hacked into Susweels account! NC? JD? thl?

hey at least we won right

Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be a positive post. That was an attack on our offense.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
No new, just focused on the doom and gloom. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying 1-1 is a heck of a lot better than 0-2 (last years record).

agree, but there is nothing wrong about pointing out the multiple flaws of a seriously over rated team,. and in some cases those flaws were there at the end of last year before free agency and the draft

No, their isn't...and I pointed out several in my post.

This isn't pointed at you...wanna say that in advance...but seems many are really salty that the team isn't meeting preseason hype and saying that they were always overhyped.

Lets say thats true (and probably is). Why be salty? Sure as hell wasn't Lynch or Shanahan doing to over hyping.
Facts. All offseason Shanahan was trying to kill the hype.

Well, it fits their narrative, so they'll do anything to strengthen an already weak and predictable post...
[ Edited by zeppfan1 on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:19 PM ]
Great analysis as always!

btw did they ever say what Sherm was talking to Lynch about on the sidelines?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be a positive post. That was an attack on our offense.

I know. But that's as positive as you'll get from Mr. Susweel. Like I said before, when I see newbies fall into Sus' traps, and also some veterans, I have this unfortunate morbid fascination of watching the thread to see how it turns out. It's akin to watching a fly getting caught in a spiders web and the spider basically drooling as the fly just keeps getting deeper and deeper entangled in said web and increasingly diminishing the fly's odds of escaping.
Share 49ersWebzone