LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 189 users in the forums

Week 2 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I waited a day on this one because I was at the game and didn't get a chance to re-watch it Sunday night. I wanted to make sure I saw what I thought I saw at the game.

1) Garoppolo: I THINK I know whats kinda going on with him. I'm not married to the theory but this is what I think. Last year he didn't know the offense really much at all and was just wingin it when he wasn't sure. Shanahan said as much about how often he goes off schedule when he isn't sure. He played several games that way and was impressive.

Now, He's really trying to stay in the design of the play and he's still learning the offense. This isn't a negative BTW. ALL QBs struggle in their first year with Shanahan. Some called him the "QB KILLER" in the past. A good example is Matt Ryan. In year one with Shanahan, Ryan had 21 TDs, 16 INTs, a 7.48 Average per attempt, and a QB Rating of 89. In year TWO with Shanahan, he had 38 TDs, 7 INTs, a 9.26 Average per attempt, and a QB rating of 117.1.

Yes, Jimmy came in last year and technically this is year 2 in SF, but he's only had one real offseason and 7 starts under Shanahan. This is all just a long way of saying I think Jimmys in his head just a bit. The combo of him trying to work through his reads, guys not getting open, and his desire not to throw INTs has frozen him a bit and is causing him to take sacks he shouldn't take and wouldn't have taken last year.

It also means that once he's more comfortable I think he'll be a whole lot better. He had a rough week one and week 2 was good, but it just wasn't what our expectations are. Patience.

2) WRs: I also want to make this clear - It ain't all Jimmy. The guys running the routes are still making mistakes as well. Running wrong routes, dropping the ball, or simply not getting separation. This team is not a finished product. We'll get there. I never thought I'd say this before the season started last year, but Goodwin simply cannot come back fast enough. They need that speed out there.

3) Pettis: Dante Pettis to me is a bit of a conundrum. The way he runs is so unorthodox. I really like the guy but sometimes I can't really tell if he's not trying hard or if his style just makes it LOOK like he's not trying hard. He is so smooth and even when he jukes it isn't a quick twitch, jerky movement. I still think the way he runs routes sometimes throws off the QB and I think that's why on the air they spoke about Garoppolo running routes with him so that Pettis would know where the ball would be and when.

Once they figure that out tho...wow. He could do real damage in space.

4) DeForest Buckner: Still a monster.

5) Breida: I have to admit, I've never really given Breida a chance. I've always doubted him. I've always wanted someone else to play ahead of him. Be it Joe Williams, or Jet, I've always hoped someone would beat him out...and I can't really even tell you why. That all stopped on Sunday. He got some great blocking so it wasn't all him, but that dude can play. He averaged 4.4 yards per carry LAST year to Hydes 3.9. This year (and yes its way early and the 66 yard run makes a big difference) he's averaging a whopping 8.4 yards per carry. Even if you remove the 66 yarder he's averaging 5.6 yards per carry.

This is what the Shanahans do. They find guys seemingly from nowhere, they find specific traits they are looking for, they plug them in and BOOM, 1000 yard back. Terrell Davis. Olandis Gary. Mike Anderson. Arian Foster (Kubiak running Shanahan system and later having Kyle as OC). Alfred Morris.

Its too early to say that's what Breida will be, but all my doubts on him have begun to dissipate. When it comes to the RB position, I trust in the Shanahan.

6) Pass Rush: This will be an issue all year, particularly from the outside. Solomon Thomas simply isn't that guy. He may end up being a very good player, but he's never going to be a premiere edge rusher. The 49ers won't be a REAL threat for a title until they find THAT guy. The 49ers in 1981 were good but it was the trade for Fred Dean that put them over the top. The Cowboys of the 90s were very good but it was the trade for Charles Haley that put THEM over the top. For me Khalil Mack could have been that guy but that option is gone. They need to find that guy. Teams these days put even more importance on that position than they did in the 80s or 90s so no sane team will give a good one up in trade. This will have to be a position they draft and I'd guess with an early pick next year. DeForest is a beast in the middle...now they need an outside rusher to compliment him.

7) Colbert: I was excited about his play late last year but i gotta say his star is falling dramatically for me. Bad angles, missed tackles, usually not in the picture in pass D and getting trucked by Blount (although admittedly he wasn't alone there). Hope he bounces back but so far color me unimpressed by his play.

8) Taylor: His lack of speed is beginning to show. Seems like he's having alot of trouble getting open this year. When the ball is thrown his way seems very often a safety is just waiting for it or a DB is draped all over him. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point this year we start seeing Ritchie James. I like Taylor and maybe he bounces back, but I have my doubts.

9) Kittle: Man that guy would be a monster if he'd hang onto the ball. Now the worst drop he had was admittedly a great play by the defender, but Kittle has a huge upside. No, he isn't Vernon Davis, but there has only ever been one Vernon Davis. Ever. What he can be though is a faster Jason Witten. I'll take that.

10) LB: WOW has the LB play sucked this year. Warner is out there playing very well (although makes a few mistakes and I still don't think he plays as physically as he should), but every other LB is just horrible. Lee was faster than Coyle (low bar to clear) but its no help to get to the spot of you can't make the play when you get there. Nzeocha was no better.

There is some good news tho. For a long time I've been wanting to say this. There were some times that I thought it would never happen and that his time was done. His legal problems are behind him. His suspension is behind him. If he stays on the right path, its ALL behind him.

Reuben. Is. Back.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:22 AM ]
Yea Colbert isn't making any plays, and Tartt looks even worse. They need to step it up. The linebacker play has been god awful. Really nothing to say or that we can do about the pass rush. We just don't have the players
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea Colbert isn't making any plays, and Tartt looks even worse. They need to step it up. The linebacker play has been god awful. Really nothing to say or that we can do about the pass rush. We just don't have the players

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. To me its the biggest goal out of the offseason next year. They gotta get some guys there. Not one, but several. Marsh isn't the guy. Marsh is a guy you replace.
I'm hoping the kids in the secondary read too many press clippings about the end of last season. Last season Tartt, Colbert and Witherspoon were trying to prove themselves. They need to realize that they should still be proving themselves. Having Eric Reid on the team would send a signal to Tartt and Colbert.
receivers were overhyped in the off season. The national media perspective was that we had a bunch of nobodies, and Niner fans along with the local media got upset at them because they kept talking about Dez Bryant and this and that.

Well guess what. They were right.
All good points as usual, Marv.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. To me its the biggest goal out of the offseason next year. They gotta get some guys there. Not one, but several. Marsh isn't the guy. Marsh is a guy you replace.
I'd say a free agent and two draft picks
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
receivers were overhyped in the off season. The national media perspective was that we had a bunch of nobodies, and Niner fans along with the local media got upset at them because they kept talking about Dez Bryant and this and that.

I get your point, but Garcon is a player, Pettis has potential to be very good but is making rookie mistakes, and Goodwin hasn't been playing.

I think James will get his shot before too long and I think things will look different once Goodwin is back...even if he isn't catching the ball. The THREAT of him creates so much space.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I get your point, but Garcon is a player, Pettis has potential to be very good but is making rookie mistakes, and Goodwin hasn't been playing.

I think James will get his shot before too long and I think things will look different once Goodwin is back...even if he isn't catching the ball. The THREAT of him creates so much space.

Patricia had an excellent game plan playing man coverage. We couldn't beat the press. We have maybe two playmakers that we would have relied on, and that was McKinnon and Goodwin to get separation. One of them is out for the season, so it is just Goodwin. Without Goodwin and McKinnon, this offense doesn't even seem functional once the opposing defense knows how to attack it. Hopefully Pettis can grow quickly and learn the offense, otherwise we will see much of the same thing that we saw on Sunday.

And on offense, they kept attacking Elijah Lee and Witherspoon, who were both weaknesses. Defensively...we will get Foster back, so the second level will be fixed. Witherspoon will continue to get targeted and thrown in the fire, so hopefully his confidence doesn't get shot.
We just gotta try Breida more in the passing game, he definitely has the speed. Now the route running and catching like McKinnon that's a different story, but they should just see what happens for the threat alone

Marvin, I was already think the EXACT same thing with Jimmy G. He looks slow in processing the game right now...due to the complexity of the system. Hopefully as the season progresses, Jimmy's play does as well. Not to mention, defenses are planning better against him and Shanny, AND not having McKinnon/Goodwin is hurting the SPEED factor that helps run this offense.
Always look forward to this/your posts 👏👏
Great post. I agree with you about Colbert, I was so high on him going into year 2 but he has played very poorly the first two games
I was banging the drums all offseason that we would start slow this year offensively, especially at QB, as Jimmy gets comfortable with playing the way Shanny wants him to play. However, we still look like an elite offense between the 20's even without our primary weapon at WR. By midseason we'll see what this offense is made of.
  • thl408
Both MIN and DET seemed to make it a point to take away the short/intermediate middle of the field. Jimmy will have to throw outside the numbers to get teams away from that.
The run blocking was looking really good. Even had Breida not gone for 60+ on that TD run, those 5 OL were having a good day run blocking. Really liked how the 49ers opened the game with a different type of run than what they normally do.
Share 49ersWebzone