LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Most concerning

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
We can talk about the pass rush and other things concerning us but in my opinion the most concerning thing on this team is concentration,discipline, and penalties. We saw the same things last season and it hasn't gotten any better. This team continues to beat itself time after time. This has to fall on the coaching staff and they better address it before week 1.

That's what happens when the head coach tries to be one of the guys.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
most concerning thing is that football is becoming unwatchable. NFL wants you to tackle with your belly button now.

This. They have installed a rule that would put a WTF penalty at any point of the game, and most likely game changing

To ensure the NFL/Vegas win their odds and big $.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Saleh will get blamed for the pass rush and secondary but it is the lack of talent, not the DC.

I think the D improves again from where it was last year (much improved but still bad) to below average or mediocre even though getting rid of Elvis may have hurt the pass rush.

Nobody will blame him for the pass rush (or they shouldn't) but you bet your ass, he'll be held responsible for crucial penalties, blown assignments, miscommunication, RZ and 3rd down efficiency, defending the seam, QB scrambles, etc.
Several personnel mistakes made this off season in my opinion. Eric Reid should have been brought back for 1 year and 5 million. Not sure he isn't better then what we already have plus would've added depth to the LB position. Jimmie Ward should've been sent packing. Ward is never healthy and is a big waste of 8 million+. Niners should've added another good CB to the back end of this defense to go with Sherman and Witherspoon. After Witherspoon and Sherman the rest of the outside CB's absolutely blow. I guess what they're are trying to do is let the young guys grow in year 2 and see what holes we have. The problem I see is that we have several players who can't stay healthy and the players behind them are a big drop off.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by zinn:
They are not a deep team. They cannot afford bonehead mistakes and lack of precision..This is a preseason game but what looked different today from what we saw going 0-9 in 2017 ?? Nothing.. It's the same dysfunction.

Unless these guys develop a cold blooded execution mindset at critical junctures (RedZone/3rd down defensive stops) their a mid pack bunch.. Good enough to beat a good team having a bad day but not good enough to beat a bad team having a good day..

Huh? They movd the ball up and down the field and got hurt mainly by dropped balls especially in the RZ. Not sure if you've watched any other preseason games, but flags are being thrown at will right now all around the league.

This
If they are not, both Saleh and Shanny should be replacing guys in practice on the spot when crucial unaggressive penalties and blown assignments happen. Even in a game if necessary.
Originally posted by NCommand:
most concerning thing is that football is becoming unwatchable. NFL wants you to tackle with your belly button now.

This. They have installed a rule that would put a WTF penalty at any point of the game, and most likely game changing

To ensure the NFL/Vegas win their odds and big $.

This
Most concerning to me are the 49er fans. Probably the worst fans in the NFL.
Originally posted by Baylor:

Then why are you here?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally I'm with Dick Sherman - I hate that lowering the head penalty rule. You are right, Goodell want's everybody to tackle with their legs and bellybuttons like in European Football.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Certainly some things they need to clean up in a hurry:
* Blown coverages in the defense
* Miscommunications in the secondary (Tartt)
* Consistent run game
* Crucial penalties in the RZ (repeat pattern from last year)
* Dumb penalties (repeat pattern from last year)
* RZ efficiency (TD's not FG's)
* Defending the seam pass/QB scrambling

The run game was much better than in the Texas game. The pass rush pressure was there - but not a lot of it and not consistent. Yeah, the dumb penalties (illegal formation, false starts, Garcon holding) really need to be cleaned up. Developing a consistent pass rush will help with blown coverages.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by Baylor:

Then why are you here?

I've been a 49ers fan since 1992. There are several people on this site who I enjoy reading their opinions. But the overwhelming majority of 49er fans on this site love to play the doom and gloom role and its exhausting. It's preseason and people are already giving up hope.
Originally posted by susweel:
That's what happens when the head coach tries to be one of the guys.

Works fine for mcvay? Honestly you and I have no idea what is talking about in those locker rooms. You don't have to be screaming and unrelateable with players to have a successful team. There's examples of failure there as well.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
How many times in the preseason have we just left players wide open with no one covering them at all. Yesterday I saw missed assignments on defense and I also saw some players playing zone when we were in man to man coverage. I'm not sold on Robert Saleh as a defensive coordinator at all.

+1

Yup. We didn't do enough to upgrade the team. Still sitting on a stack of cap space though.
  • Stud
Originally posted by Niners816:
We can talk about the pass rush and other things concerning us but in my opinion the most concerning thing on this team is concentration,discipline, and penalties. We saw the same things last season and it hasn't gotten any better. This team continues to beat itself time after time. This has to fall on the coaching staff and they better address it before week 1.

Yep, nfl players hold and false start and pass interfere because coaches don't spend enough time telling them not too

Seriously though, the narrative about penalties being directly tied to coaching has always been way over blown. You want example of this, look at the '13 and '14 New England Patriots. In 2013, NE had like the fewest penalties in the league a year later in 2014 they had double the penalties. Did Belichick forget to tell them about penalties in 2014? Also, it really didn't matter because they won the title that year.

I'll counter this argument using the Seahawks. Basically every year since 2012 Seaderall has been one of top two teams in the league in penalties. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If it wasn't coaching don't you think Seattle should have one year were they weren't at the top? Nope, because Seattle is undisciplined. Look at the Seahawks players starting fights after every loss like a bunch of p-ssies. Its because Pete Carroll has been known to be a cheater and a douche, at USC and the NFL. Its no coincidence. They are like they because of their coach. Simple as that.
Share 49ersWebzone