LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

Most concerning

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
How many times in the preseason have we just left players wide open with no one covering them at all. Yesterday I saw missed assignments on defense and I also saw some players playing zone when we were in man to man coverage. I'm not sold on Robert Saleh as a defensive coordinator at all.

+1
we have a very poor dc. who is not helped by the fact we have a very bad group of linebackers when you remove foster and fred. i am amused at those who pooh pooh lack of a pass rush and sacks and undervalue the penalties. kind of funny when the team is struggling in areas. you have some who say those areas are not really important. sorry but mistakes penalties no negative yardage sack of quarterbacks. dropped passes concern me. the run game was a worry and thank god we have alfred. o line still in question but coming around.
Originally posted by zinn:
They are not a deep team. They cannot afford bonehead mistakes and lack of precision..This is a preseason game but what looked different today from what we saw going 0-9 in 2017 ?? Nothing.. It's the same dysfunction.

Unless these guys develop a cold blooded execution mindset at critical junctures (RedZone/3rd down defensive stops) their a mid pack bunch.. Good enough to beat a good team having a bad day but not good enough to beat a bad team having a good day..

Oh come on. You saw nothing different to the pre-Garapolo games? I have no idea what you were looking at, then, because with Hoyer as qb there was pretty much no comparison.

Pre-season game 3, rebuild year 2.
Originally posted by FromDaBay2La:
Most concerning for me is the injuries, how soft we appear to be. And that Jerick McKinnon is our lead back

Lol what is this "appear to be soft" thing? Players get hurt....go look around the league. There's no more 2 a days and padded practices aren't what they use to be. This league isn't built around being tough guys and knocking the snot out of people...they'll just get fined or suspended.

It's the NFL as a whole that's gotten soft not just a team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal1632:
Honestly Richard Sherman was a bigger presence on the sideline than Saleh. He was up and down the sideline coaching the guys during the game. Sometimes out onto the field

i have always said sherman is the best defensive coach on our team
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lol what is this "appear to be soft" thing? Players get hurt....go look around the league. There's no more 2 a days and padded practices aren't what they use to be. This league isn't built around being tough guys and knocking the snot out of people...they'll just get fined or suspended.

It's the NFL as a whole that's gotten soft not just a team.
when these injuries started i said the team is soft and i think that was a mistake cuz you are right. now our team does not appear to be a physical team which is fine but speed will only get your so far. i think one of the things that infuriated me about the jt era , after a washed my hands of him after the open mind experiment last two games... was that the coaches coached scared and our team played scared. i do not think that still happens here but shirley there has to be a in between the nutcracker drills which got guys hurt and practice with text breaks back in the day. i guess kyle has that balance?
most concerning thing is that football is becoming unwatchable. NFL wants you to tackle with your belly button now.
Originally posted by cciowa:
we have a very poor dc. who is not helped by the fact we have a very bad group of linebackers when you remove foster and fred. i am amused at those who pooh pooh lack of a pass rush and sacks and undervalue the penalties. kind of funny when the team is struggling in areas. you have some who say those areas are not really important. sorry but mistakes penalties no negative yardage sack of quarterbacks. dropped passes concern me. the run game was a worry and thank god we have alfred. o line still in question but coming around.

You remove our starters and the LB Corp isn't good? Weird lol

Dropped passes suck but is correctable, they were perfectly placed balls and the play calling was on pt. OL has been solid in PP and you can see them starting to gel in RB.

Penalties come from many things, one major one is every team is getting called for everything right now in preseason not just SF. They're youth shows and they're still learning. Coaching needs to step it up and help correct those. But let's stop acting like our DC doesn't care about penalties.

I agree with the edge rushers we got nothing there that teams have to game plan for. We will struggle there imo
Originally posted by Jiks:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
We can talk about the pass rush and other things concerning us but in my opinion the most concerning thing on this team is concentration,discipline, and penalties. We saw the same things last season and it hasn't gotten any better. This team continues to beat itself time after time. This has to fall on the coaching staff and they better address it before week 1.
The first half was played pretty damn well minus the lack of discipline. As you said hopefully it gets ironed out by week one.

It's pretty glaring when the first offensive play from scrimmage resulted in an illegal formation penalty. Pretty inexcusable. But like someone said, let's see if this continues to happen in the real games.
when these injuries started i said the team is soft and i think that was a mistake cuz you are right. now our team does not appear to be a physical team which is fine but speed will only get your so far. i think one of the things that infuriated me about the jt era , after a washed my hands of him after the open mind experiment last two games... was that the coaches coached scared and our team played scared. i do not think that still happens here but shirley there has to be a in between the nutcracker drills which got guys hurt and practice with text breaks back in the day. i guess kyle has that balance?

being physical is being taken out of the game, it just is. Gotta adapt to it. Speed & technique is what this offense will be based around. Guys like JT, John fox, bill cower aren't NFL coaches anymore because they're way of thinking will not work in today's game.

The days of a safety rushing downfield to lay wood are gone. It sucks but you have to adapt to it.

I challenge you to quote one post that said this. Are you just making s**t up? Lack of pass rush is a constant and universal drum beat on this forum. If someone did say this they are so far in the minority that they are a statistical zero. Come on man, you have to be better than this to be taken seriously.

• Antix
  • Veteran
Most concerning to me is that tackling is being phased out of the game and that at any point we can get hit with a BS 15 yard penalty.

It's not even men competing anymore. It's all up to refs now.
Certainly some things they need to clean up in a hurry:
* Blown coverages in the defense
* Miscommunications in the secondary (Tartt)
* Consistent run game
* Crucial penalties in the RZ (repeat pattern from last year)
* Dumb penalties (repeat pattern from last year)
* RZ efficiency (TD's not FG's)
* Defending the seam pass/QB scrambling
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM ]
Saleh will get blamed for the pass rush and secondary but it is the lack of talent, not the DC.
I thi k the D improves again from where it was last year (much improved but still bad) to below average or mediocre even though getting rid of Elvis may have hurt the pass rush.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Saleh will get blamed for the pass rush and secondary but it is the lack of talent, not the DC.
I thi k the D improves again from where it was last year (much improved but still bad) to below average or mediocre even though getting rid of Elvis may have hurt the pass rush.

yes....It is not all on him. Lynch and the FO need to take the share of the blame.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
most concerning thing is that football is becoming unwatchable. NFL wants you to tackle with your belly button now.

This. They have installed a rule that would put a WTF penalty at any point of the game, and most likely game changing
Share 49ersWebzone