LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 440 users in the forums

Greg Papa - 49ers' play-by-play caller

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I'm starting to like it, but sometimes he extends the call too long lol.

it's way too long. sometimes I like short-concise but intense calls. like instead of calling out loud, dragging the end of it, "San Francisco", just say "Niners". easy fix. at least do it once in a while. mix it up based off the moment. dont make it routine for EVERY SINGLE TOUCHDOWN moment.

Diva must make it exactly the same so it turns iconic. Obviously his goal when he probably practiced a bunch of different calls over and over before the first game of the season. To me, that's why it's diva and selfish. Just let a call naturally come and be its own. I like Papa, he's a fans commentator. Dude seemed like he was buzzing drinking with the fans on last Friday's radio on KNBR. Great stuff. But that call...man...diva.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 27, 2019 at 6:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

it's way too long. sometimes I like short-concise but intense calls. like instead of calling out loud, dragging the end of it, "San Francisco", just say "Niners". easy fix. at least do it once in a while. mix it up based off the moment. dont make it routine for EVERY SINGLE TOUCHDOWN moment.

Diva must make it exactly the same so it turns iconic. Obviously his goal when he probably practiced a bunch of different calls over and over before the first game of the season. To me, that's why it's diva and selfish. Just let a call naturally come and be its own.

that's the most annoying thing about him. it doesn't sound natural at all. just repetitive and annoyingly cringe.

Diva must make it exactly the same so it turns iconic. Obviously his goal when he probably practiced a bunch of different calls over and over before the first game of the season. To me, that's why it's diva and selfish. Just let a call naturally come and be its own.

that's the most annoying thing about him. it doesn't sound natural at all. just repetitive and annoyingly cringe.

lol I like how he "debuted" the call week 1, as if it was some top secret thing, and it turns out to just be dragging out the city name instead of the team name like he did in Oakland. So lame.

Ted Robinson was pretty bland, but at least he wasn't cornball.
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol I like how he "debuted" the call week 1, as if it was some top secret thing, and it turns out to just be dragging out the city name instead of the team name like he did in Oakland. So lame.

Ted Robinson was pretty bland, but at least he wasn't cornball.

dude id take Ted Robinson any day over this clown

I can maybe see someone not liking Papa's TD call for the Niners (I don't mind it, and he did say it's an evolving thing with room for change/improvement), but to compare Robinson over Papa I don't get at all as they're not even in the same league. Robinson might be decent for tennis...Papa is an outstanding NFL play-by-play caller who knows how to engage & fire up fans; plus, he's got the football knowledge, experience, and success that separates him from so many others. The Niners are fortunate to have Papa. Yet to each his own.
TOUCHDOWN SAN-FRAN-CISCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jimmy gon' keep throwing 'em, and you keep calling 'em, Papa.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I can maybe see someone not liking Papa's TD call for the Niners (I don't mind it, and he did say it's an evolving thing with room for change/improvement), but to compare Robinson over Papa I don't get at all as they're not even in the same league. Robinson might be decent for tennis...Papa is an outstanding NFL play-by-play caller who knows how to engage & fire up fans; plus, he's got the football knowledge, experience, and success that separates him from so many others. The Niners are fortunate to have Papa. Yet to each his own.

where did he say this?

where did he say this?

On the radio talking with John Lund on their KNBR show right after he started doing the TD call. They were analyzing it and he admitted it's a bit of a work in progress and it could & most likely would change over time.
Originally posted by Heroism:
TOUCHDOWN SAN-FRAN-CISCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jimmy gon' keep throwing 'em, and you keep calling 'em, Papa.

Keep it coming...as that means the Niners keep scoring more TDs!

where did he say this?

On the radio talking with John Lund on their KNBR show right after he started doing the TD call. They were analyzing it and he admitted it's a bit of a work in progress and it could & most likely would change over time.

lol the fact it's even considered a 'project' let alone something he even has to think about tells me it's contrived as hell and unnecessary
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Sep 27, 2019 at 11:29 AM ]

where did he say this?

lol the fact it's even considered a 'project' let alone something he even has to think about tells me it's contrived as hell and unnecessary

So it's a project now? Play-by-play announcers aren't allowed to refine their special calls over time and just are expected to be perfect with their first call in covering a new team? I don't get that. Whatever, personal preference with announcers is and always will be different among fans of the team. I just think from the years I've heard Papa here in the Bay Area that the Niners are fortunate to have him. I was a fan of Lon Simmons, Don Klein, Wayne Walker, & Joe Starkey...was NOT a fan of Ted Robinson. Again, personal preference.

where did he say this?

So it's a project now? Play-by-play announcers aren't allowed to refine their special calls over time and just are expected to be perfect with their first call in covering a new team? I don't get that. Whatever, personal preference with announcers is and always will be different among fans of the team. I just think from the years I've heard Papa here in the Bay Area that the Niners are fortunate to have him. I was a fan of Lon Simmons, Don Klein, Wayne Walker, & Joe Starkey...was NOT a fan of Ted Robinson. Again, personal preference.

to him it's something he's experimenting with, and it comes off as a project to me. if every TD call is going to be the exact same every time then that completely takes away from the natural genuine aspect of the moment. 3 weeks into the season and it's already worn on me. thank god i only hear it through post-game videos of mashups and highlights and not during the game at times. he could at least mix it up with shortening "San Francisco" to just "Niners" or something once in a while
hated it week one ..... seems to be growing on me as time goes on
This has been mentioned before but for those who didn't read it. Papa said he decided to use touchdown San Francisco to reinforce the fact that even though they play in Santa Clara they are still the San Francisco Forty Niners. Remember when they announced they were moving how many people said they shouldn't be called the SF Niners anymore since they were playing in Santa Clara. Still SF and hopefully always will be.
His call is growing on me. Unique.
Share 49ersWebzone