LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

Greg Papa - 49ers' play-by-play caller

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by firehunter33:
I'm just happy they are scoring enough touchdowns for you all to have this debate

This - keep the TDs coming!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
PBP shouldn't be an analyst also. That's what Tim Ryan is for.

Papa is a bandwagon analyst with a fake over the top TD schtick. The best thing I like about it is that he's on KNBR and talks a s**t load of Niners talk.

Papa isn't doing color commentary when he sets the stage as they walk up to the LOS and he quickly informs the listener of, say, defensive alignment and then after the play knows what Ryan is saying and can discuss it or elicit more details from him if necessary.

But okay, you don't like him...simple fix is don't listen.

I won't.

Smart move, no reason to listen to someone you don't like. But it is kinda funny the criticism of a Bay Area broadcasting legend like Papa getting from someone who quite recently didn't even know the difference between PBP and color.

TV doesn't need color. If he's on the radio as well, then I get it.

But still, he needs to do away with taking a s**t while chanting the TD. And the arm pumping also. It is obvious dude is trying to eventually get his schtick on the national news.

WTH are you even saying...TV doesn't need color? What do you think it is that Aikman, Spielman, Collinsworth, et al are doing on Sundays?

And "on the radio as well"??? Seems like you don't understand how any of this works...Papa is the RADIO play-by-play, he and Ryan were only on TV during the PRESEASON since most preseason games don't aren't televised by the major networks with their broadcast teams. And yeah, Papa's shtick is all so he can get on "national news".

Hilarious 49ers get one of the best NFL PBP guys around, he does a great job painting the word picture for the radio listener, but people get sand in it over the 2,3,4 times a game he makes a TD call.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by firehunter33:
I'm just happy they are scoring enough touchdowns for you all to have this debate

great point 👍

hopefully he yells it so much out ears bleed

This

Papa is a bandwagon analyst with a fake over the top TD schtick. The best thing I like about it is that he's on KNBR and talks a s**t load of Niners talk.

Papa isn't doing color commentary when he sets the stage as they walk up to the LOS and he quickly informs the listener of, say, defensive alignment and then after the play knows what Ryan is saying and can discuss it or elicit more details from him if necessary.

I won't.

Smart move, no reason to listen to someone you don't like. But it is kinda funny the criticism of a Bay Area broadcasting legend like Papa getting from someone who quite recently didn't even know the difference between PBP and color.

But still, he needs to do away with taking a s**t while chanting the TD. And the arm pumping also. It is obvious dude is trying to eventually get his schtick on the national news.

WTH are you even saying...TV doesn't need color? What do you think it is that Aikman, Spielman, Collinsworth, et al are doing on Sundays?

And "on the radio as well"??? Seems like you don't understand how any of this works...Papa is the RADIO play-by-play, he and Ryan were only on TV during the PRESEASON since most preseason games don't aren't televised by the major networks with their broadcast teams. And yeah, Papa's shtick is all so he can get on "national news".

Hilarious 49ers get one of the best NFL PBP guys around, he does a great job painting the word picture for the radio listener, but people get sand in it over the 2,3,4 times a game he makes a TD call.

correct. he's racist.

I won't.

It's still an all about me over the top TD call.

I won't.

completely agree. dude is so annoying. sounds so forced.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

I won't.

completely agree. dude is so annoying. sounds so forced.

Contrived by the diva PBP.

Living up to the "Farty Whiner fans" legacy
Scoring so many TDs that the announcer's TD trademark is starting to annoy you is a problem that I'm happy exists. Hopefully Papa loses his voice by post season.
Should of gone with

"And BOOM goes the dynamite"

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Living up to the "Farty Whiner fans" legacy

You're not wrong. I'm not a fan of contrived schlock like the stupid first down chant, or "the 12's" in Seattle...and while I know Papa didn't just come up with the TD call off the cuff, I dig his explanation of how he arrived at it, it's not awesome or anything but I'm okay with it...and even if it did bother me, the dude is a premiere radio PBP man, honestly one the best I've heard in the NFL, the Niners are lucky he practically fell into their lap, so I'm supposed to look past the ~3 hours of great PBP to complain about a few seconds of a TD call? F***in LAME.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 20, 2019 at 8:59 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm sorry if this doesn't give you the chills I definitely don't want to watch a game with you. That is f'ing epic.
love papa and ryan
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm sorry if this doesn't give you the chills I definitely don't want to watch a game with you. That is f'ing epic.

Doesn't sound as corny when you see what he's doing along with the audio.

Tim Ryan looking like he's wracking his brain trying to come up with the next line
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2019 at 8:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone