There are 99 users in the forums

UDFA Jeffrey Wilson RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wilson is a keeper - glad to have him back.

HE really played well towards the end of the year, but I thought it was a better idea to give him a 2 to 3 year deal...

The Thunder & Lightning Attack !!!

Have they published the details of his contract yet? There is still a possibility, I think, that ShanaLynch will have some sort of exclusive rights after his one year?
Originally posted by Heroism:

Good for Wilson, I thought they may have tendered him at the 2nd-round level, which would have been around $3.384M, surprised he was gonna be tendered at original round level of $2.133M, cause they could have lost him washout receiving a pick.
HE really played well towards the end of the year, but I thought it was a better idea to give him a 2 to 3 year deal...

I am sure they wouldhave loved that, but why would he do it?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

NO DOUBT that he would sign for more than 1 year because his value can easily drop back down if Shanny decides not to use him or get him the ball enough..

Can you imagine if this guy runs for over 1400 yards he'll be a hot commodity..

NO DOUBT that he would sign for more than 1 year because his value can easily drop back down if Shanny decides not to use him or get him the ball enough..

Not every player, especially RFAs, sign more than 1yr deals, he likely wants to bet on himself, it happens all the time in the NFL. Mostert was a rare occasion where a RFA signed a multi year deal. If he goes off for 1400 yards, then he'll be extended, but I doubt we see a 1000 yard rusher under Kyle, he rotates his backs, uses up to 3 a game, plus we don't know if they offered a multi year deal or not, plus no guarantee he would sign a multi year deal, same as the draft, tired of people saying we could have gotten so and so later, no guarantee.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Not every player, especially RFAs, sign more than 1yr deals, he likely wants to bet on himself, it happens all the time in the NFL. Mostert was a rare occasion where a RFA signed a multi year deal. If he goes off for 1400 yards, then he'll be extended, but I doubt we see a 1000 yard rusher under Kyle, he rotates his backs, uses up to 3 a game, plus we don't know if they offered a multi year deal or not, plus no guarantee he would sign a multi year deal, same as the draft, tired of people saying we could have gotten so and so later, no guarantee.

This could eventually turn into a Breida situation (*if* J. Wilson and 49ers agree to an extension after his one year). Man I love how Kyle can get UDFA Arby's and turn them into draft picks.

If HE signs a deal now he is leaving a lot of money off the table.
4 years for $8m up to $12m. Or 1 year at 2-3.5 and then free agency.

If he signs the 4 year deal, he can be franchised and make it a 6 year deal for $42m and no guarantees.

He signs the 1 year deal then can negotiate with a bigger salary cap, and he would be ok with a $12m(?) Franchise tag. Or he gets to test FA. Even if it is a tad more than coleman he still gets way more than 4 years $10ish million. The floor would likely be 4yrs $16m, making this a 5yr $19m move at the bottom. If he goes off like mostert last year he could get 3yr $18m next offseason(plus fluff at the end)
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

If HE signs a deal now he is leaving a lot of money off the table.
4 years for $8m up to $12m. Or 1 year at 2-3.5 and then free agency.

If he signs the 4 year deal, he can be franchised and make it a 6 year deal for $42m and no guarantees.

He signs the 1 year deal then can negotiate with a bigger salary cap, and he would be ok with a $12m(?) Franchise tag. Or he gets to test FA. Even if it is a tad more than coleman he still gets way more than 4 years $10ish million. The floor would likely be 4yrs $16m, making this a 5yr $19m move at the bottom. If he goes off like mostert last year he could get 3yr $18m next offseason(plus fluff at the end)

BUT that's the point... Shanny will not allow him to be a STAR so other team will benefit.. he'll use him and will keep him at bay so that even if he test the water, he'll come to realization that he'll put up big numbers in SF because of Kyle's run scheme.. and really, do you see any other team giving him that 20 million deal?
https://overthecap.com/player/joe-mixon/5634/
https://overthecap.com/player/melvin-gordon/3863/
https://overthecap.com/player/david-johnson/3934/
https://overthecap.com/player/jerick-mckinnon/3035/
Those are the deals he would leave on the floor unseen in the 49ers briefcase.

So he can sign one of these deals
https://overthecap.com/player/raheem-mostert/4146/
https://overthecap.com/player/latavius-murray/2334/

BUT that's the point... Shanny will not allow him to be a STAR so other team will benefit.. he'll use him and will keep him at bay so that even if he test the water, he'll come to realization that he'll put up big numbers in SF because of Kyle's run scheme.. and really, do you see any other team giving him that 20 million deal?

No player, especially RBs care about putting up numbers if they are going to leave that much money on the table. Look at mostert(i bet wilson did) he exploded after his deal.

Yes, and i do not see the niners offering him that $20 million, so he is gone next year unless something goes wrong, Even if he fails to get 1k yards. if he goes 150 carries for 900 yards and 20 catches for 300 yards a team will offer him way more than the niners.
$920K base, $1.13M signing bonus according to OverTheCap.com.
Uh oh Injuries starting already. I wonder if Kyle and John knew this before the draft and that's why they traded up for a RB and drafted another one in the 6th RD. Should make the decision easier now though.

Mostert
Gallman
Sermon
Mitchell

Looks like all 4 can make the roster now.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on May 25, 2021 at 4:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone