There are 178 users in the forums

Our safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Cut ward, dont resign Reid.

Draft Derwin Jones.

Jones/Colbert would be the future.

Can we try spending our 1st round pick on someone that doesn't play DT or Safety?

NEVER!

Derwin James would be a greta fit next to Colbert however.

Sign Ansah and Johnson and you have a top 5 defense assuming Foster doesn't stick any more pot needles i his veins....
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:13 PM ]
Colbert was exceptional for a 7th round rookie, but I don't see any reason to cut Ward when money isn't an issue. We're trying to build depth as well as upgrade starters. No reason to cut Ward when there's nothing to be gained by doing so.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Colbert was exceptional for a 7th round rookie, but I don't see any reason to cut Ward when money isn't an issue. We're trying to build depth as well as upgrade starters. No reason to cut Ward when there's nothing to be gained by doing so.

Disagree. Cutting Ward gives us a roster spot and keeps us from being short a safety when he goes down from injury 4 games into the season.

i think ward needs to go. talented player and i see why he was a first rounder, but i feel like we can do better with colbert.

I am personally a huge fan of derwin james, like i was a fan of jamal adams last year. But the lost of his freakish athleticism is somewhat concerning.
Hope Ward restructures to compete/have depth.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 19, 2018 at 12:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Disagree. Cutting Ward gives us a roster spot and keeps us from being short a safety when he goes down from injury 4 games into the season.

And once we cut Ward and don't re-sign Reid what happens if Colbert or Tartt pick up an injury?

Already short on CB's, now safties too? It's going to be a tough enough job filling every hole on the roster in the off season as it is without creating more without a need to do so.

And once we cut Ward and don't re-sign Reid what happens if Colbert or Tartt pick up an injury?

Already short on CB's, now safties too? It's going to be a tough enough job filling every hole on the roster in the off season as it is without creating more without a need to do so.

Agree. Let Reid walk, Re-structure Ward UNLESS we plan on bringing in a veteran safety AND a starting CB either via FA or draft.

RE-structuring Ward at 5-5.5 mill can have him essentially already be solid value since he can backup say what you would pay two veterans thatre not on rookie contracts. Also allows you to save a crucial spot on game days.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Our safeties aren't safe quite yet

My thots too. If a guy can't be depended on to show up healthy, then after two yrs, time to move on. We are there already. We have to get out of this injury business. We have lived with it for 5 yrs. Time is now to bring it to a close. Guys that can't stay healthy...adios. And i bet lynch and Kyle think the same. You know they both got sick just looking at that damn list. No mas. Done. Finito. Basta. Time to reboot and start over...with healthy guys. Depending on guys who are frequently injured...has not worked out well for us. time to move on.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
My thots too. If a guy can't be depended on to show up healthy, then after two yrs, time to move on. We are there already. We have to get out of this injury business. We have lived with it for 5 yrs. Time is now to bring it to a close. Guys that can't stay healthy...adios. And i bet lynch and Kyle think the same. You know they both got sick just looking at that damn list. No mas. Done. Finito. Basta. Time to reboot and start over...with healthy guys. Depending on guys who are frequently injured...has not worked out well for us. time to move on.

agree. i think we need to get past keeping someone cuz he has so much potential. or he knows the system. or we hope we stays healthy or cuz jimmy likes him. i need to stop saying the word. or

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
agree. i think we need to get past keeping someone cuz he has so much potential. or he knows the system. or we hope we stays healthy or cuz jimmy likes him. i need to stop saying the word. or

oh.,., or if they continue to be a big piece of fat crap like lynch

Because he is the 2nd highest paid player on the team currently.

What does that say to the rest of the team if Ward is making 8.5 million to sit on the bench or IR??

If he doesn't re-structure he will be gone.
I'd offer Ward a 3 year 15 million dollar deal, with 10 million guaranteed. 5 million a season with the first 2 years guaranteed. Ward brings special value to this team, in that he can play all 3 CB spots, and FS. He basically saves us a roster spot when he's healthy.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I'd offer Ward a 3 year 15 million dollar deal, with 10 million guaranteed. 5 million a season with the first 2 years guaranteed. Ward brings special value to this team, in that he can play all 3 CB spots, and FS. He basically saves us a roster spot when he's healthy.

He also played SS once.
Personally I want both Reid and Ward back, if they will sign for some what cheap deals. Reid is a good SS in this system, Tartt could back up both safety spots, and get in on 3rd downs playing the WILL. Ward can play CB, and back up FS. Bringing both of them back, would allow us to focus more on LB help and interior O-lineman in FA and the draft. Not sure if we need another WR, but I would try to trade for M. Bryant on the Steelers to give us that BIG fast WR we could use.
Share 49ersWebzone