LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Our safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
SS- Eric Reid. Free agent
SS- Jaquiski Tartt. 1 year remaining

FS- Adrian Colbert.
FS- Jimmy Ward. 1 year at 8.5 million

So what do we do? I'd personally love to keep them all.

Re-structure Ward and give him a new 3 year, 9 mil deal with 8.5 guaranteed. He gets his 8.5 mil but we spread it out over 3 years. He has a chance to prove he can stay healthy and compete with Colbert who has earned 1st crack at the FS job. The coaches like him but he just can't stay healthy. 3 million a year is a good amount for a versatile depth player. I know one thing though is that he won't be on this team at 8.5 million.

Eric Reid. Never has been particularly good on coverage but I think the SS role on this D is perfectly suited for him. He is an enforcer and a solid tackler. Plus he has turned into a team leader as well. A 4 year, 16M deal should work for both parties. I wonder though if he is in our long term plans because the team didn't try to extend him.

Jaquiski Tartt. Do we extend him? He played quite well but is always hurt. I think we let him play out his last year and figure it out. Both He and Reid would see alot of time on the field together. Tartt could play the WILL position on passing downs replacing Malcolm Smith who isn't great in coverage and Reid can play SS.

Or do we let Reid walk, let Tartt play out his last year and draft SS Derwin James who would be a difference maker in our secondary. He is a phenomenal blitzer and blows up linemen. He can cover receivers. He can play centerfield. He can literally play any position. He is a combination of Ed Reed and Sean Taylor.

A safety duo of Derwin James and Adrian Colbert would be one of the most intimidating in the league and give us our version of Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson. Those two guys guys roaming the secondary changed the way teams planned their offenses to play us. I believe a Colbert / James tandem would do the same.

Thoughts?
  • thl408
While re-signing Reid may not be a popular option, Saleh has shown that he will deploy three safety looks versus 3 WR sets (Coyle out, Leon Hall in; Foster was the only LB on the field). I noticed this often later in the season when Jimmy G was on board. Whether that warrants giving Reid a multi-year deal is debatable since the third safety will get limited snaps. With Jimmy G, we might be able to assume that the 49ers will be in a position of having the lead more often than trailing on the scoreboard (fingers crossed). If the 49er defense is going to face more pass attempts as opposing teams play catch up, then it gives some value to the third safety.

I liked what I saw out of Tartt this season but it was a very limited sample. Wish he was able to put more on film so we know for sure if he is clearly the better option than Reid. At this point, I'm not sure who is the better SS and will spend some time spotlighting Tartt on film this offseason.

Ward can stay or go, it doesn't matter imo. He has a useful skillset, but has earned his reputation as an injury prone player.

edit: if the 49ers draft a safety on Day 1 (DJames) I'll be very upset and will fly a banner over Levi's
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM ]
I'm all for keeping all of them. Reid and Ward can play multiple positions
And yes, before CC comes in to chide me, I know Ward is injury prone
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
ditch Ward, keep everyone else.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

if i chide you i do with a smile on my face and a song in my heart!! lol.. i love your motorcycle entrance video clip thing you posted in another thread yesterday!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

hoov is a great poster but i am sorry chaz said nothing wrong
My guess is Reid leaves in FA and we cut Jimmy Ward.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jan 18, 2018 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
This. Not sure why ppl wanna keep dead weight around. I still need to see more of Tartt. Had a good start to the season but small sample size due ot injury. Just really not sure what we have in him.
Originally posted by cciowa:

if i chide you i do with a smile on my face and a song in my heart!! lol.. i love your motorcycle entrance video clip thing you posted in another thread yesterday!!

Lol. Thanks CC, you are the best
Would people be more comfortable keeping Ward if they redo his contract? He def has durability issues and that coupled with his price tag creates valid concerns.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Whether it ends this way or not, both guys couldnt' be counted on to be healthy and subsequently missed a lot of playing time. I don't need to see either one back this yr. if you cant' stay healthy, does it matter if you can /can't cover or tackle/not tackle? If you aint on the field, you are not helping . I time ok, 2 yrs ummm...that 's too much. Adios muchachos and don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. We got Adrian. Tartt has played well. Spoon has been a huge surprise. By my count that is two good DBs, and Tartt who i bet is better again this yr. That leaves us one DB short. The way lynch picks them out of the trash heap, laundry or lost and found, whether at #3 or #7...i think i would leave it up to John as who to pick this yr for DBs. Spoon and Adrian...in the same yr? Whoa, that was one helluva pick of DBs. We should just leave John alone and see who he brings into camp. But i hope it isn't ward and Reid.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
SS- Eric Reid. Free agent
SS- Jaquiski Tartt. 1 year remaining

FS- Adrian Colbert.
FS- Jimmy Ward. 1 year at 8.5 million

So what do we do? I'd personally love to keep them all.

Re-structure Ward and give him a new 3 year, 9 mil deal with 8.5 guaranteed. He gets his 8.5 mil but we spread it out over 3 years. He has a chance to prove he can stay healthy and compete with Colbert who has earned 1st crack at the FS job. The coaches like him but he just can't stay healthy. 3 million a year is a good amount for a versatile depth player. I know one thing though is that he won't be on this team at 8.5 million.

Eric Reid. Never has been particularly good on coverage but I think the SS role on this D is perfectly suited for him. He is an enforcer and a solid tackler. Plus he has turned into a team leader as well. A 4 year, 16M deal should work for both parties. I wonder though if he is in our long term plans because the team didn't try to extend him.

Jaquiski Tartt. Do we extend him? He played quite well but is always hurt. I think we let him play out his last year and figure it out. Both He and Reid would see alot of time on the field together. Tartt could play the WILL position on passing downs replacing Malcolm Smith who isn't great in coverage and Reid can play SS.

Or do we let Reid walk, let Tartt play out his last year and draft SS Derwin James who would be a difference maker in our secondary. He is a phenomenal blitzer and blows up linemen. He can cover receivers. He can play centerfield. He can literally play any position. He is a combination of Ed Reed and Sean Taylor.

A safety duo of Derwin James and Adrian Colbert would be one of the most intimidating in the league and give us our version of Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson. Those two guys guys roaming the secondary changed the way teams planned their offenses to play us. I believe a Colbert / James tandem would do the same.

Thoughts?
are you high , he is going to want new money over his 8.5 mil . just saying
Would people be more comfortable keeping Ward if they redo his contract? He def has durability issues and that coupled with his price tag creates valid concerns.

Even taking a pay cut I wouldn't care if they re sign him. He's been just average to me. I thought the looked the best when he covered the slot, but I don't see him returning to that role. I think he's just average at safety and playing CB on the outside. So for me it's injuries, salary, and average play. If we were talking about a ball hawking play maker I'd be all for giving him another shot.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Whether it ends this way or not, both guys couldnt' be counted on to be healthy and subsequently missed a lot of playing time. I don't need to see either one back this yr. if you cant' stay healthy, does it matter if you can /can't cover or tackle/not tackle? If you aint on the field, you are not helping . I time ok, 2 yrs ummm...that 's too much. Adios muchachos and don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. We got Adrian. Tartt has played well. Spoon has been a huge surprise. By my count that is two good DBs, and Tartt who i bet is better again this yr. That leaves us one DB short. The way lynch picks them out of the trash heap, laundry or lost and found, whether at #3 or #7...i think i would leave it up to John as who to pick this yr for DBs. Spoon and Adrian...in the same yr? Whoa, that was one helluva pick of DBs. We should just leave John alone and see who he brings into camp. But i hope it isn't ward and Reid.

Nice post. I agree.

Even if we re-structure Ward can he be counted on? Let's say he is our backup then who is his backup?

Same for Reid. He is one concussion away from being out long term.

I like them all and I like the flexibility they offer but I'm not sure they will be back.

If they both leave I think a guy like DeShon Elliot from Texas would be a great pick in the 2nd to challenge Colbert and he could play SS in a pinch as well. He is rapidly climbing up my draft board.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Reid hasn't had a concussion since the 2014 season. I think he's worth keeping. He's a leader.
Share 49ersWebzone