There are 796 users in the forums
Harbaugh or Shanahan
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Harbaugh or Shanahan
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:23 AM
- bvc49
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,898
Ill take KS any day over Harblow. Frank Gore should have a ring
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:30 AM
- Bali-Niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,107
Originally posted by pdizo916:Hard question.
No it's not, not at all as a matter of fact.
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:41 AM
- KowboyKiller
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,991
Kym Sharbaughnan
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:50 AM
- 49erBigMac
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,056
I loved Harbaugh as a Coach, and think he is the better Head Coach now, he gets loads out of his players, but it's mostly Ra Ra, he wears people down after a while and I don't think it's sustainable.
The question was who I'd rather have coaching the 49ers now and that's Kyle, he was amazing at keeping the team together during a tough year. He seems to really buy in to teaching (like a Tomsula, but with talent) and actually gets along with the people around him, without being a pushover.
I can see him being here for a decade and that's why he's my pick
The question was who I'd rather have coaching the 49ers now and that's Kyle, he was amazing at keeping the team together during a tough year. He seems to really buy in to teaching (like a Tomsula, but with talent) and actually gets along with the people around him, without being a pushover.
I can see him being here for a decade and that's why he's my pick
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:08 AM
- Kolohe
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 67,084
Shanahan and its not even close. I make my judgement off of type of offense he's ran and the track record of how good he has been. Everywhere he's gone his play calling has improved and we've all seen how potent of offense it can be with the right talent.
When everyone caught on to Harbaugh's Read-option crap his offense hit a ceiling and leveled off. No one was scared of Kaepernick anymore. Teams knew that if you forced Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket the offense wouldn't be as effective.
With Shanahan his track record with QBs have been pretty much nothing but impressive (well aside from Hoyer this year).
Shanahan all day.
When everyone caught on to Harbaugh's Read-option crap his offense hit a ceiling and leveled off. No one was scared of Kaepernick anymore. Teams knew that if you forced Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket the offense wouldn't be as effective.
With Shanahan his track record with QBs have been pretty much nothing but impressive (well aside from Hoyer this year).
Shanahan all day.
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:09 AM
- Goatie
- Veteran
- Posts: 18,582
Habaugh is now just Mr Yesterday
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM
- 49erBigMac
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,056
Originally posted by Young2Rice:Harbaugh HC , shanny oc, fangio dc
Super bawlz
Almost, it would be Super Bowl, and then Kyle would get poached to be a HC, that's another reason why it's amazing to have Kyle, he's the best OC we've had 20 years, and isn't going anywhere
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:27 AM
- 49ersGiantspride
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,963
I'll always appreciate how he lifted the Niners in 2011 because we were a pile of dog s**t for a decade, not to mention doing it despite having a terrible GM like Baalke who refused to acknowledge any history the niners had or Bill Walsh(a big no no), but he had no composure during crunch time(or any time) and it was a big reason we lost those big games especially the Super Bowl.
Shanahan hasn't coached in the postseason yet and he's blamed for Atlanta's collapse but there's more to it than just blaming Shanahan truth is the Falcons don't make the Super Bowl without him. But the thing is the 49ers are a historically offensive dominant franchise, specifically with the WCO. I don't think it's a coincidence that getting away from that philosophy affected the franchise from 2003 until Shanahan came in.
Having an offensive genius at the helm and a system that's proven to work in the NFL is the 49ers niche, Harbs was great with QBs and overall but let's not kid ourselves the dude was and still is a defense oriented coach his offensive expertise was vastly overstated. Part of that was Baalke I'm sure and Harbaugh's Schembechler influence but the niners are built on Walsh and his influence they got away from what gave them success. Shanahan is part of that lineage of Walsh and Mike, so I believe in the long run he'll outdo Harbaugh.
Shanahan hasn't coached in the postseason yet and he's blamed for Atlanta's collapse but there's more to it than just blaming Shanahan truth is the Falcons don't make the Super Bowl without him. But the thing is the 49ers are a historically offensive dominant franchise, specifically with the WCO. I don't think it's a coincidence that getting away from that philosophy affected the franchise from 2003 until Shanahan came in.
Having an offensive genius at the helm and a system that's proven to work in the NFL is the 49ers niche, Harbs was great with QBs and overall but let's not kid ourselves the dude was and still is a defense oriented coach his offensive expertise was vastly overstated. Part of that was Baalke I'm sure and Harbaugh's Schembechler influence but the niners are built on Walsh and his influence they got away from what gave them success. Shanahan is part of that lineage of Walsh and Mike, so I believe in the long run he'll outdo Harbaugh.
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:27 AM
- GorefullBore
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,449
Originally posted by Kolohe:Shanahan and its not even close. I make my judgement off of type of offense he's ran and the track record of how good he has been. Everywhere he's gone his play calling has improved and we've all seen how potent of offense it can be with the right talent.
When everyone caught on to Harbaugh's Read-option crap his offense hit a ceiling and leveled off. No one was scared of Kaepernick anymore. Teams knew that if you forced Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket the offense wouldn't be as effective.
With Shanahan his track record with QBs have been pretty much nothing but impressive (well aside from Hoyer this year).
Shanahan all day.
This.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:03 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Shanahan was the guy I wanted here for the past 2-3 seasons. Like Niners816, I'm a huge fan of the WCO and all the variations that have come over the years (Walsh, Mike Shanahan, Holmgren, etc)
I was thrilled when it became apparent we had landed Kyle. Obviously people will remember the super bowl choke, but seeing what he did vs Seattle, Green Bay, and then 2 1/2 quarters in the SB, I felt the time was just right for him to transition into a HC role.
I loved what Harbaugh was able to do as far as changing the culture and producing a winning team. However, we never had a flow offensively outside of the 2nd half of the 2012 season. It felt clunky, archaic and just downright inefficient. By 2013 and 2014, I was tired of the dunderhead Bo Schembechler offense he insisted on running. He had been figured out by NFL coaches and furthermore, he couldn't win the big game. He still hasn't, even at Michigan (Ohio state). I hope he comes back to the NFL eventually and corrects his flaws, but I couldn't be happier having Kyle Shanahan as our guy.
Yeah, I agree. Harbaugh still hasn't beaten out the teams he was hired to beat out. He's a good coach, but his offenses in Michigan have been mediocre. I think next year is the year he turns it around. As for Kyle vs Jim Harbaugh, both are good coaches, both have different styles, but Kyle's style of football fits better in the NFL. Harbaugh's power running fits better in the colligate arena, and I look forward to seeing the Wolverines really perform better offensively with their new QB recruits from this years recruiting class.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:08 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Harbaugh got us to 3 NFC Championships and one Super Bowl in his 4 years. If Ted Ginn didn't go down before the Giants game in 2011 we go to the SB. In the SB against the Ravens, that game was ours but we didn't catch one break. Finally, 2013 against the Seahawks, Kaep throws another one away. So if we make one play in each game we could be talking 3 peat. However, those Harbaugh teams had no luck on the big stage.
I think that's Harbaugh's failure with the 49ers. He wasn't able to find that franchise QB. I thought he had it in Kaep, but (in my opinion) he was sabotaged by Baalke's drafting. Kyle's at a different level, in the sense that Kyle really looks like he got a franchise QB. Any coach with a Franchise QB will have a long tenure in the NFL. Any coach who fails to get that franchise QB will be fired in short order. Franchise QB's are that critical in the NFL, at least for head coaches. Another thing that Kyle has over Harbaugh is that Kyle has pretty much total control over all football areas of the 49ers. Harbaugh's not going to an NFL ball club that doesn't give him 1000% control over everything.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:13 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
That top 5 roster never crossed .500 before he got here. That top five roster barely lost any games in the regular season. That top five roster crushed it on the road. In one season Harbaugh had that team almost beating a read hot NYG team with a wimpy Alex smith who completed 1 pass for 3 yards to a receiver the whole game. Bottom line, talent or not, they played at a super high level. That was coaching.
KS couldn't win with a week roster until he got a super talented QB.
Anything else your saying is speculation.
Yet, your Harbs wins 3 Super Bowls with Jimmy G isn't?
God, I hope Kyle gets the benefit of having a top 2-3 defense for a 4 year period.
I totally agree with what you said.
In addition, one other thing that Kyle has that Harbaugh didn't is John Lynch. Here's a GM that's played in the defense he's building with Saleh and at a Hall of Fame level. Trent Baalke? I don't think he did much other than look at players and he wasn't even very good at that.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:16 AM
- 49ers81
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,851
Honestly that isn't even a contest. Harbaugh was a f**king psychopath who would have worn out his welcome regardless of the circumstances. I have liked the Shanahan hire since the day it was announced. Not only is he a "legacy hire" with direct connections to the team's past but he is clearly one of the more dynamic offensive minds in the league right now. I think the addition of Lynch as GM could bring something back to the team that they have been lacking for years, competence and stability in the Front Office and a positive relationship between the Coach and GM. It seems to me that the successful franchises all have that kind of stability. Look at the Steelers, they have had what, three coaches in forty years Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin...Hmmm, it seems like I'm missing someone. And Belichick in New England. franchises who are always chasing after the next big hire are usually the ones finishing at the bottom of the standings. No regrets at all about dumping Harbaugh or the missteps of Tomsula and Kelly. I think the team has finally got the guy they have been looking for.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:20 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by Jiks:
In all fairness if Harbaugh was a mature adult he would be a much better coach. A team emulates their coach and when your head coach cant maintain his composure Im not sure how the team is supposed to. Its happened time and time again including the SB and last year when Michigan had OSU on the ropes and Harbaughs 15 yards unsportsmanlike penalty gave OSU the ball in the rz.
Also if the dude throws tantrums at refs, imagine his tantrums behind closed doors.
Good Point about composure. However, the guy is himself as a coach. He's not a phony. He's fiery like his old Bears coach, Mike Ditka.
I think Johnny Dell is right he's just not an X's and O's kind of guy. Like a Walsh, Like a Kyle Shanahan. He plays power football. He's not going to try to fool you, he's going to try to run over you. That's who he is as a person and that's how he coaches.
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:28 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
No back to FACTS NOT EMOTIONS!!!![]()
Til this day no other coach has a better record than Harbaugh and he had to deal with jed and baalke in his first 3 years. Not even bill's record is better than Harbaugh in his first three years.. Just facts of life we all must accept..
He turned 49ers around 44-19-1 recordwith an Nfc banner.
He turned Michigan around 3 years 29-13 Michigan.
He turned Stanford around.
He turned University San Diego.
Keep it up and will go into the Qb's he has helped along the way including turning around Alex Smith career..
Sounds like a bunch ungrateful posts, no matter how much these bias ohio st fans like chris carter who played against Harbaugh hate and watch how transparent and foolish they look.
Newsflash your posts and agenda are too transparent...
Facts still remains, I love Shanny but he hasn't even coached his first playoff off game..
What's mind boggling is the Harbaugh is a west coast guy.. Sounds like Judas posts from Baalke. No matter how much you try Baalke fans.
You can't change facts....
If there is *one* thing that he could have done, it would have been to **not** take the HC position offered by Jed unless he had total control of player personnel as well as being head coach. No way he could have foreseen how terrible Baalke was as a GM, but in hindsight (yep always 20/20) that's what I think did him in. If there was a way he was able to negotiate or convince Jed to let Harbaugh hire his own GM - I'm betting he'd still be coaching for the 49ers. Having said that, as a rookie coach, I don't think he had it in him to do that. I don't think he had the leverage to do that with Jed at that time in his life. Now having that experience and knowing how the GM can stab him in the back, he'll be much smarter in getting another HC gig in the NFL.

Yet, your Harbs wins 3 Super Bowls with Jimmy G isn't?