LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

Let's talk Pass Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we need Andre Carter and Julian Peterson back ...we have no pure edge rushers
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Julian Peterson...he may have been the least effective edge rusher ever when we went to a 3-4. It was cringe-worthy.

But your point is still valid!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
FYI:

The 49ers do have 17 quarterback contacts (hits or sacks), which is 15th in the league, and are sixth in percentage of dropbacks in which they've gotten pressure on the quarterback (31.6 percent).

We have to start collapsing the edges.
6th in the league in %? That's crazy. I think the SEA game really skewed this percentage.

Yeah, I was surprised by that as well. It's hard to fathom.
Is there a stat for % of whiffed QB sacks? If so, I think Armstead leads that category by a mile.

LOL, no issues getting in the backfield but at that point he can't even play tag. It's pretty sad when only AA, Tank and Lynch have one sack each after 3 games...that's 30th in the league.
I posted this previously, but wonder just exactly how that stat would look if Reuben had been playing? He would have taken care of contain, and is fast enough to do so. Also he has a 2nd sense about where the ball is going to be. I really want to see him in a matchup iwth Russ Wilson. If he had played in last two games, we would ahve one. With Reuben in , those break-ins into the backfield, Reuben keeps the contain . He is way faster than fast, (when healthy), and i think we would ahve seen a handful of sacks had he been there. Not by him necessarily but by the guys who had gotten into the backfield. So i am a bit uncertain that our guys can't get sacks. With contain they would ahve and that is what Reuben showed in his early 1 qtr performance. He is not an ER, but he surely played well while playing against the panthers. i think he was the alternative to no ER for kyle adn john. They made bunches of improvements, but ERs...real ones....there weren't a lot of big time ones.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I posted this previously, but wonder just exactly how that stat would look if Reuben had been playing? He would have taken care of contain, and is fast enough to do so. Also he has a 2nd sense about where the ball is going to be. I really want to see him in a matchup iwth Russ Wilson. If he had played in last two games, we would ahve one. With Reuben in , those break-ins into the backfield, Reuben keeps the contain . He is way faster than fast, (when healthy), and i think we would ahve seen a handful of sacks had he been there. Not by him necessarily but by the guys who had gotten into the backfield. So i am a bit uncertain that our guys can't get sacks. With contain they would ahve and that is what Reuben showed in his early 1 qtr performance. He is not an ER, but he surely played well while playing against the panthers. i think he was the alternative to no ER for kyle adn john. They made bunches of improvements, but ERs...real ones....there weren't a lot of big time ones.

1 person isn't gonna make the D great. Thomas still can't pass rush, AA still awful, CBs still can't cover.
We have none
I miss Justin and Aldon Smith. I miss Ray Mcdonald (in 2011, he was beast.) I miss Issac Sopoaga and Ahmad Brooks in their primes. Now all we have are Reuben Fosters, Deforest Buckner and a bunch of nobodies.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Has Aldon even been reinstated yet?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 28, 2017 at 7:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
We have none

We have interior...nothing outside
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Julian Peterson...he may have been the least effective edge rusher ever when we went to a 3-4. It was cringe-worthy.

But your point is still valid!
we should have signed him in 2012 when all of our linebackers got hurt and we had to sign some idiot. clark higgins. huggins. whatever. grrr

• cciowa
  • Veteran
We have none

but they thought it was nice to cut brooks and shove eli down our throats. lol
Originally posted by cciowa:
We have none

Would Brooks help us in another year or two when the team may be good? Time to let the younger guys sink or swim.
Originally posted by walker807:
We have none

Would Brooks help us in another year or two when the team may be good? Time to let the younger guys sink or swim.

Tank had 1 sack in 3 games in base (often a running down). Brooks get 6 sacks a year. Do the math on the pace cc.

If Thomas adds ANYTHING in the pass rush department it's basically the same production or more at a fraction of the cost and the youth is getting experience for the future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
We have none

he could have helped us now be competitive. i hear all the time the importance of good vet leadership and by all accounts he was a model team mate this off season. you would like to think brooks would have been treated like hoyer, a bridge to get us through to our next great pass rushing linebacker. because aside from lynch., whom the coaches opted not to give many snaps to last week,,,,,,, we have none and we have no pass rush. that is all i am saying. so many people here are just so content and take losing and sucking this year and next year which i do not get. as they HOPE it will get better
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Tank had 1 sack in 3 games in base (often a running down). Brooks get 6 sacks a year. Do the math on the pace cc.

If Thomas adds ANYTHING in the pass rush department it's basically the same production or more at a fraction of the cost and the youth is getting experience for the future.

how come you left out production that eli.,. who we were told would replace brooks,. will provide. another player we have been told for years will be good but is garbage
Share 49ersWebzone