There are 134 users in the forums

Let's talk Pass Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNS1310:
I miss the days that Stubby and BY consistently got to the QB. BY especially. Dude had like 90 sacks. One of the best DT/DE we've ever had.

Thought we were getting back to those days but I haven't seen much lately. DeFo looks solid, but he's no BY.

All the tape I've watched on Thomas and I thought he'd be a wrecking ball. Constantly in the backfield. Okay, it's his 3rd game...I'll give him more time.

I really don't think you will see an athlete's potential and ceiling until his second year. Most athletes are still thinking out there and not reacting during their first years. So just giving Thomas 3 games is just plain silly.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Nowhere.

We won't have any pass rush as it stands.

We have a lot of bodies that will take up blockers. Just need one more piece on the DL. Stopping the run was the focus after having a historically weak run defense in 2016.

You can't do a total rebuild in one offseason.

No, not one offseason. We have drafted 3 x D-linemen in the 1st round 3 years in a row already and yet we still have zero pass rush.

Armstead and Buckner were drafted by TB to play on a 3-4 line. Not a 4-3. Their 1st round pedigree doesn't matter. Have to see what you have in them this year, and see if they are a fit. If not trade them and move on, but you can't know without seeing them play.
  • titan
  • Veteran
We don't have any pass rush.
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Nowhere.

We have a lot of bodies that will take up blockers. Just need one more piece on the DL. Stopping the run was the focus after having a historically weak run defense in 2016.

No, not one offseason. We have drafted 3 x D-linemen in the 1st round 3 years in a row already and yet we still have zero pass rush.

Armstead and Buckner were drafted by TB to play on a 3-4 line. Not a 4-3. Their 1st round pedigree doesn't matter. Have to see what you have in them this year, and see if they are a fit. If not trade them and move on, but you can't know without seeing them play.

I think AA will probs get the boot in a trade..unless we want max depth.
We need 1 more lineman but I really don't want to spend another 1st there at the expense of passing on a playmaker. Extra picks may come in handy though.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We need 1 more lineman but I really don't want to spend another 1st there at the expense of passing on a playmaker. Extra picks may come in handy though.

This unless he's a von miller and those aren't in this draft. We need got damn playmakers
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Nowhere.

Agreed. I know it's early in the new system, just really looks out of place.
Nowhere.

Agreed. I know it's early in the new system, just really looks out of place.

I think hes solid.. But it leads to Thomas playing out of position in nickel.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
This unless he's a von miller and those aren't in this draft. We need got damn playmakers

I do agree with that. The right guy may change my mind there and those extra picks will come in handy in finding playmakers.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I agree. Playmakers are total gamechangers with this type of offense(and any offense really). Shanny has proven his scheme works, even for us. Receivers stay getting wide f**kin open but too many dropped balls. But then Garçon is so damn trustworthy and dynamic that he changes the entire momentum with big playmaking ability. We need more of that, a lot more of that.

Originally posted by Giedi:
I miss the days that Stubby and BY consistently got to the QB. BY especially. Dude had like 90 sacks. One of the best DT/DE we've ever had.

Thought we were getting back to those days but I haven't seen much lately. DeFo looks solid, but he's no BY.

All the tape I've watched on Thomas and I thought he'd be a wrecking ball. Constantly in the backfield. Okay, it's his 3rd game...I'll give him more time.

I really don't think you will see an athlete's potential and ceiling until his second year. Most athletes are still thinking out there and not reacting during their first years. So just giving Thomas 3 games is just plain silly.

If you got to see much of him this past yr, you know this guy is a comer, a threat to be in the backfield virtually every play. So i agree with Giedi here, that he just needs time. As everyone knows, NFL is played in hyperspeed compared to college.

As for the passrush, no it is not bringing the pressure we would like. From the outset, i felt that we have the best 11 out there and that includes the big 3, AA, Buck, Solly. The big deal is....figuring out who goes where...and when. And then saleh or Kyle says he wants his guys all to be able to play all positions. My gut feeling is there is a one best alignment, and to date, we have not hit on it. But when we do see it it will be obvious to all. And it most likely will do what we are doing now, having a base set adn then a passsing set. WE just aren't sure who goes where. Unfortunately, it is going to require at least one ER who is top flite, and i hope not two of them.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Giedi:

If you got to see much of him this past yr, you know this guy is a comer, a threat to be in the backfield virtually every play. So i agree with Giedi here, that he just needs time. As everyone knows, NFL is played in hyperspeed compared to college.

As for the passrush, no it is not bringing the pressure we would like. From the outset, i felt that we have the best 11 out there and that includes the big 3, AA, Buck, Solly. The big deal is....figuring out who goes where...and when. And then saleh or Kyle says he wants his guys all to be able to play all positions. My gut feeling is there is a one best alignment, and to date, we have not hit on it. But when we do see it it will be obvious to all. And it most likely will do what we are doing now, having a base set adn then a passsing set. WE just aren't sure who goes where. Unfortunately, it is going to require at least one ER who is top flite, and i hope not two of them.

Demarcus Lawrence and a SAM/nickle ER hybrid in draft
lol, drafted 3 DL's in the past 3 drafts and they're the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. lmao.

That's why beating the Rams was a big no-no. They could have drafted Garrett, and when he comes back, he's going to be a beast. The niners missed out once again.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
lol, drafted 3 DL's in the past 3 drafts and they're the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. lmao.

That's why beating the Rams was a big no-no. They could have drafted Garrett, and when he comes back, he's going to be a beast. The niners missed out once again.

Cmon pdizo... Thats wack AF. Youre acting like weve drafted pass rushers 3 years in a row. Stooooop lol.
I think AA will probs get the boot in a trade..unless no one wants him.

Fixed
Share 49erswebzone