LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Let's talk Pass Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
lol, drafted 3 DL's in the past 3 drafts and they're the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. lmao.

That's why beating the Rams was a big no-no. They could have drafted Garrett, and when he comes back, he's going to be a beast. The niners missed out once again.

Cmon pdizo... Thats wack AF. Youre acting like weve drafted pass rushers 3 years in a row. Stooooop lol.

if you're going to draft a DL high in the first round, one of his main attributes he should possess is a knack for getting to the quarterback. AA is inconsistent but has ability, Buckner has that ability, and Thomas......he's just a lost cause.
If DeMarcus Lawrence doesn't get tagged or resigned by the Cowboys, I'm blowing the bank on this dude.

Wouldn't he be a perfect "Leo" fit in our scheme?
Lost cause after 3 games. Talk about premature evaluation.
if you're going to draft a DL high in the first round, one of his main attributes he should possess is a knack for getting to the quarterback. AA is inconsistent but has ability, Buckner has that ability, and Thomas......he's just a lost cause.

Lost cause? Because you didnt want to draft him? No one who is serious about football gives up on a rookie after 3 games.
Originally posted by English:
Lost cause? Because you didnt want to draft him? No one who is serious about football gives up on a rookie after 3 games.

Agree, that's quite foolish to say that. Solomon needs some refining no doubt.. but I still think there's something there. Still think he's playing out of position at end but we will see.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by amosmac28:

Agree, that's quite foolish to say that. Solomon needs some refining no doubt.. but I still think there's something there. Still think he's playing out of position at end but we will see.

He's def playong out of position. Im not sure why youd make a rookie learn a new position. instead let him get comfortable at what he does best naturally and move him later once he is used to the NFL. Thomas is going to be pretty much useless as he is already behind because of Stanford and learning a whole new position he may it may noy be suited for.

If.our 3rd pick of the draft interior pass rusher is going to be useless so is our pass rush.
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by amosmac28:

He's def playong out of position. Im not sure why youd make a rookie learn a new position. instead let him get comfortable at what he does best naturally and move him later once he is used to the NFL. Thomas is going to be pretty much useless as he is already behind because of Stanford and learning a whole new position he may it may noy be suited for.

If.our 3rd pick of the draft interior pass rusher is going to be useless so is our pass rush.

Yeah, Saleh needs to think long and hard about all of his personnel if he wants to make Thomas work.

Given they had him working with Ware/Miller and he was invited by Bennett, it certainly seemed like the early plan was to try and convert him to LEO (where he's been playing the majority of his snaps) or add some edge rush ability for him at big end. There's nothing wrong with adding to your repertoire but that should have been our first insight into the plan for him and it wasn't a good one unfortunately.

This defense is so unconventional I wouldn't even mind scrapping the standard NT position. Both Buckner and Armstead have played through double teams their whole careers. With Buckner, Armstead and Thomas rotating on the interior you could generate a consistent interior pass rush and then go more conventional outside with Blair (when he returns) and Thomas splitting at Big End and Dumervil and Lynch rotating as base downs and as edge pass rushers.

With one of the two NT's inactive, Pita could get activated and given some edge snaps and add more to the ST than a NT could give.

I like Mitchell and Jones a lot but other than short yardage and goal line situations, esp. in a 1 gap scheme, how much value do they add when pass rush is far more important right now?

Just my 2-cents.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:20 AM ]
lol, drafted 3 DL's in the past 3 drafts and they're the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. lmao.

That's why beating the Rams was a big no-no. They could have drafted Garrett, and when he comes back, he's going to be a beast. The niners missed out once again.

Cmon pdizo... Thats wack AF. Youre acting like weve drafted pass rushers 3 years in a row. Stooooop lol.

LOL so this logic means that the majority of first rounders are a lost cause
FYI:

The 49ers do have 17 quarterback contacts (hits or sacks), which is 15th in the league, and are sixth in percentage of dropbacks in which they've gotten pressure on the quarterback (31.6 percent).

We have to start collapsing the edges.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
FYI:

The 49ers do have 17 quarterback contacts (hits or sacks), which is 15th in the league, and are sixth in percentage of dropbacks in which they've gotten pressure on the quarterback (31.6 percent).

6th in the league in %? That's crazy. I think the SEA game really skewed this percentage.

Originally posted by thl408:
FYI:

6th in the league in %? That's crazy. I think the SEA game really skewed this percentage.

Yeah, I was surprised by that as well. It's hard to fathom.
FYI:

Dumervil and lynch may show up against the cards
Originally posted by Team49ers:
FYI:

Dumervil and lynch may show up against the cards

If the Cards go no huddle a lot or we can't get them in many 3rd and passing downs, they'll be sitting on the bench again...unless Saleh changes up the personnel.
Originally posted by thl408:
FYI:

Yeah, I was surprised by that as well. It's hard to fathom.
Is there a stat for % of whiffed QB sacks? If so, I think Armstead leads that category by a mile.

This. In terms of pass rush, I don't see how so many of you were so big on this guy after drafting him when it was CLEAR he had issues getting to the QB

We waisted another pick as far as I'm concerned. Would have been better off drafting a baby T-Rex
Share 49ersWebzone