Originally posted by thl408:
Very encouraged by the defensive performance. SEA's offense may not be good, but considering how poorly the 49ers have looked defensively the past couple seasons, it's easy to say that the defense is on the right track. ALynch needs to be in the lineup for good. No need for XCooper to be suiting up when there's positional flexibility from some of the other DL. Glad Ward was able to finish the game. I don't think Wilson tested the 49ers secondary deep so that's a good sign that Ward was in position.
Offensively it was frustrating not to see more short range passes designed to isolate the RB/TE. Maybe SEA was squatting all the short stuff. Considering how well the offense was running the ball, I would have thought the passing game (playaction) would have some semblance of success. Three red zone appearances, three field goals - that's ballgame.
From what I have seen so far in the parts that I have re-watched, it looked like Seattle was looking to shut down that area. Of course, having Bobby Wagner patrolling that region helps a lot as well.
I am not as discouraged as some by the offense. Defense is and has always been Seattle's strength. They make a lot of good teams look bad up there. It wasn't satisfactory but it wasn't a total failure either.