LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Week 2 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Offense:

-If Hoyer has just a decent game they probably would have won. It started bad for him on his first pass, missing a wide open Goodwin 15-20 yards down the field, and not a lot went right. Got to have better QB play that that, especially against a tough D

-Hyde and Breida showed well and could be a promising tandem going forward. Hyde looks to be fitting in well with this scheme...hitting the holes quick and also catching some passes. Breida really impressed me in his first road game in that tough environment.

-Garcon continues to show he'll be that surehanded, tough, possession WR but otherwise this team really lacks a playmaking WR. Goodwin needs to simply catch the ball every time when it's right there - this team's limited margin for error cannot afford drops like that (especially at/inside the opponent's 10 yard line). I like Taylor, both in the slot and returning punts. Seems to be adjusting to the NFL game very well. TE Kittle looks very promising, blocking and receiving...just needs to stay healthy

-The OL rebounded nicely from last game - a big part of this was Tomlinson already showing he's fitting in well and a no-doubt upgrade over Beadles. Wish the C Kilgore was better - he continues to show average-to-below average C play - but maybe he improves (such as in protection calls) as he gets more comfortable with this scheme. Overall, I liked the run and pass blocking, especially against one of the tougher front sevens and in such a hostile environment (no false starts?)

Defense:

-The D line displayed some of the talent it has and that will only become more frequent as these guys (especially the young guys) get more refined and get more reps in this scheme. Buckner, Thomas, Mitchell, Armstead, Carradine, Lynch...they all played well and flashed at times and will only get better. Looking forward to seeing Dumervil make more of an impact (and get his 100th sack). The depth on the D line was great to see...even the rookie Jones got quite a few snaps and was effective/held his own on the inside

-When Foster gets back, this D will be that much better, faster, etc. He'll also put Ray-Ray back on the bench (Ray-Ray's a good back-up, though). Bowman, we saw the good and the bad/post-major-injuries LB play. I do like his veteran presence in the middle. However, Foster is badly needed to help this group play faster and be more effective. As for Harold, I first thought he was kind of a ghost out there...but after watching it a 2nd time you see him holding his side down, being strong on the edge, and allowing other guys to make the tackle after a short or no gain. I know the jury is still out on him but he's still very young and does show promise

-The secondary did well for the most part...Williams was all over the field and held up well covering the tough Baldwin. I know Robinson gave up the winning TD but had a pretty good game otherwise (gotta catch that INT hitting you in the numbers, though). Same with Johnson - did well and stuck his nose in there tackling. The safeties impressed and gave Seattle WRs and TEs something to think about when coming over the middle (Tartt in particular). That pass to the end zone from Wilson to McEvoy...yes, it was a drop as has been pointed out, but who's to say he hangs on anyway as he was outstretched and about to get rocked. Reid looks like a different player this year and was having another good game...really hoping it's just a three-week thing with his knee. Ward was very active and impressive considering he missed pretty much all of TC and the preseason. Can he somehow stay healthy? If so, this scheme could be a good fit for him

Summary:

If this D can keep it up and continue to build upon performances like they had last week (and get healthy...Foster, Reid, etc.), I like the team's chances vs. some of these teams coming up on the schedule (Rams, maybe Cards - not impressed w/ them, Colts, Bears, Texans, etc.). The O of course does have to do its part - it has to have some long, sustained drives that result in 7 and not just 3. The D needs this and hopefully will not again this year play as many snaps as it did this last game.

All in all, like many, I was encouraged by last week's game but also very disappointed in the L. Let's see if the team can keep building and get better each week.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by susweel:
watched the s**t fest on dvr last night cuz no way is this team worth 3+ plus hours. my stuff

Shanny seems like he is in over is head, seems flustered on the sideline dosen't show leadership or confidence.

Hoyer is absolutely trash, even worse than I thought, He makes me miss kap and even gabbert.

Goodwin is a pos, needs to be benched asap. Training camp champ we seen these before.

Hyde just like any other RB can run if oline opens holes for him, but he is dancing less this year which is good.

Run D is was better this year but wears down at end of games because O can't keep the ball. Same was true under chip.

Secondary blows seattle had people open all game, either willow missed them or they dropped balls. Should have at least 3 Ints yesterday.

Overall team is even worse than I had thought we would be and predicted an 0-16 record.

Wow who pissed in your Cheerios? Such an unpredictable post.

I only speak the truth and until i see otherwise all of which i said holds true.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree, Buchy, but fusco looks to be a bigger liability than Kilgore...tho I admit it's a toss up. Ultimately I would like to see Magnus with a shot at C, but right now hope with laken at LG and Magnus at RG, then kilgore in the middle doesn't play so bad. But I guess one could just switch Magnus for Kilgore and hope fusco plays better between Magnus and Trenton. Probably need to try out both remedies and go with whoever is best.

When you consider what we had the day prior to final cuts to 53, let's save some applause for Lynch, who jumped up and got Laken...it was a guess, but one game in, a good one. I mean we busted out on Zut, Barnes, Fusco, Kilgore, theus, and jeez, Gilliam got cut from SEA's awful OL. The Laken acquisition was great one and note lynch paid for him with a pick instead of letting him go into the 1132 players who were cut pool....where anybody could have snagged him ...and for free....good move, John.

Yeah Fusco is a dumpster fire without doubt but centre is really important in Shannahan's scheme so I could live with Fusco this season if we could develop Magnus into a top notch centre who is an ace in the system, if Magnus doesn't have that potential then keep Kilgore and jettison Fusco!
Originally posted by ninerjok:
watched the s**t fest on dvr last night cuz no way is this team worth 3+ plus hours. my stuff

Shanny seems like he is in over is head, seems flustered on the sideline dosen't show leadership or confidence.

Hoyer is absolutely trash, even worse than I thought, He makes me miss kap and even gabbert.

Goodwin is a pos, needs to be benched asap. Training camp champ we seen these before.

Hyde just like any other RB can run if oline opens holes for him, but he is dancing less this year which is good.

Run D is was better this year but wears down at end of games because O can't keep the ball. Same was true under chip.

Secondary blows seattle had people open all game, either willow missed them or they dropped balls. Should have at least 3 Ints yesterday.

Overall team is even worse than I had thought we would be and predicted an 0-16 record.

Wow who pissed in your Cheerios? Such an unpredictable post.

I only speak the truth and until i see otherwise all of which i said holds true.
You speak only truth? Wait, you say our secondary blows, but yet they nearly had 3 INT's and 3 more batted balls - yet they blow? um.......I don't think you can have both....where their receivers are always open on every play but we nearly pick the ball off 3 times..... just sayin....
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
My thoughts were: "oh wow, we didn't get blown out in Seattle for the first time in 5 years". Make no mistake, this is the same defense that has been on the field each of the past 4 seasons and is held up as the gold standard. They're still pretty darn good and we held our own with them. Do they have much of an offense? No. But, we held our own in the game, which is saying something.

Here's a silver lining thought: Who's offense is worse, theirs or ours? It sound bleak, but wait it out. If you say, "theirs" then our offense with a journeyman QB, patchwork O-line, no receivers outside of Garcon and a 5th round rookie TE nearly put up as many points against the best defense in the league - that's not a terrible thought.

If you say, "ours" then our defense held their offense to nearly as many points as theirs against what you would say was a better offense, and they have the best defense in the league.... that's a nice thought too.

Either way you look at it, while I don't believe in moral victories I do think it's encouraging that we held our own against them and we were a 2-14 team last year and they were in the NFCCG. Like people say, these are measuring stick games and we showed we're not as far apart as we should be. Would you expect Jacksonville to go into Seattle and win a game? They were better than we were last year, just sayin.

Totally agree!

JD for Prez!

LOL, I don't have enough of a combover to do that!! But at least I'm not orange, haha.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You speak only truth? Wait, you say our secondary blows, but yet they nearly had 3 INT's and 3 more batted balls - yet they blow? um.......I don't think you can have both....where their receivers are always open on every play but we nearly pick the ball off 3 times..... just sayin....

Horrible passes thrown right to DBs that they couldn't catch doesn't help your arguement. Also were a few drops by seattle. A good passong qb will eat them up.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Giedi:
My thoughts were: "oh wow, we didn't get blown out in Seattle for the first time in 5 years". Make no mistake, this is the same defense that has been on the field each of the past 4 seasons and is held up as the gold standard. They're still pretty darn good and we held our own with them. Do they have much of an offense? No. But, we held our own in the game, which is saying something.

Here's a silver lining thought: Who's offense is worse, theirs or ours? It sound bleak, but wait it out. If you say, "theirs" then our offense with a journeyman QB, patchwork O-line, no receivers outside of Garcon and a 5th round rookie TE nearly put up as many points against the best defense in the league - that's not a terrible thought.

If you say, "ours" then our defense held their offense to nearly as many points as theirs against what you would say was a better offense, and they have the best defense in the league.... that's a nice thought too.

Either way you look at it, while I don't believe in moral victories I do think it's encouraging that we held our own against them and we were a 2-14 team last year and they were in the NFCCG. Like people say, these are measuring stick games and we showed we're not as far apart as we should be. Would you expect Jacksonville to go into Seattle and win a game? They were better than we were last year, just sayin.

Totally agree!

JD for Prez!

LOL, I don't have enough of a combover to do that!! But at least I'm not orange, haha.

Share 49ersWebzone