LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Week 2 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Word of the year: Patience.

1) Hoyer: Last week I defended him. This week I won't. He is what he is though. I was never expecting him to be great, I only expected him to be serviceable. So far he isn't. Its fair to point out the front 7s he's faced and it fair to point out drops...but Man...its been rough. Is it CJ Beathard time? No. Not by a long shot. Its not about giving Hoyer a shot either. Its about not putting the rookie in and causing irreperable harm to his confidence. Beathard needs to stay on the bench FOR HIM and not for anyone else.

Might there come a time when he needs to play? Yes. Its not here yet though.

2) Front 7: I need to use this as a disclaimer because I am about to talk about a few front 7 players and I don't want to give the impression I'm unaware of Seattles situation on the O-Line. I'm very aware so good play in the front 7 has to be tempered by who they were playing against. Seattle is a train wreck on the O-Line and have been for years. It makes me wonder how Wilson would function behind an actually competent line. That said....

3) DeForest Buckner: He didn't get a sack, but that dude was wreaking havoc. 4 QB hits, 5 Pressures, killing in vs run...man. 7th overall pick last year is showing why he was the 7th pick.

4) Aaron Lynch: Needs. To. Play. More. He is EASILY the best pass rusher on the team and when he's out there he provides what they lacked in week 1. Wasn't just the sack either...he was getting hits on Wilson as well. Jumped off the screen a few times.

5) Solomon Thomas: Flashing at times, invisible at others. Still not plaing like an edge rusher but still very raw. Seems to not be doing much for awhile and then flashes uncanny speed and athleticism for a man his size. Also not playing sound and got abused a few times on the read option. Once crashing down hard and another delaying to watch QB and RB ran right past him. Learning curve still in effect.

6) Arik Armstead: Didn't play like Buckner of course, but did flash some there. His sack was interesting because he was essentially unblocked but kinda had to navigate traffic to get there. Looked promising, but if my choices right now are Lynch or Armstead at Leo, I'm putting Lynch in the game.

7) Reuben Foster: Obviously, Reuben didn't play...but thats kinda my point. I just have to wonder if on any of those Wilson scrambles if Reuben would have been spying him and would have had the speed to chase him down. We'll have to wait till their second meeting to see but every time Wilson got one of those first downs I wondered if Reuben would have prevented it.

8) Safety: Good to see Ward in there again and didn't seem to have much rust. I've always like the guy and if he can be a true center fielder. I'm hoping Reid will be fine as I think this spot really fits him, but if not I'm comfortable with Tartt as well.

9) Marquise Goodwin: Catch. The. Ball. QB finally makes a play and you just flat drop the ball. Ugg. It won't go down on the stat sheet and it isn't something people will point out too much, but I did like seeing the small guy just BLOW UP Wagner on the INT return. To me, that shows he does care...which is something if you look at #21 in Dallas.

10) Week 2 of rebuild: Long way to go. Rough two weeks but the schedule will get a bit easier on the offense these next few weeks. I think the TD drought will end on Thurs and they'll put up at least 2 or 3. Total guess. Rams have a nice front 7 themselves, but not nearly what Niners have seen now in back to back weeks.

...and

11) O-Line: I usually do 10 but I make the rules so screw it. I couldn't leave out the O-Line. That was a monster of a job. Tomlinson played very well considering, Staley had a great game, and Trent Brown....wow. Two games into the season and he's allowed NOTHING in the pass rush. No hurries, no hits, no sacks. Its a great thing to get a premiere tackle in the 7th round.

12) One more: I couldn't leave out Carlos either. Line made some holes for him but he is playing well. He's really the ONLY Skill Player doing something right now. Through 2 games he's averaging 7 yards per carry.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

1) Hoyer: Last week I defended him. This week I won't. He is what he is though. I was never expecting him to be great, I only expected him to be serviceable. So far he isn't. Its fair to point out the front 7s he's faced and it fair to point out drops...but Man...its been rough. Is it CJ Beathard time? No. Not by a long shot. Its not about giving Hoyer a shot either. Its about not putting the rookie in and causing irreperable harm to his confidence. Beathard needs to stay on the bench FOR HIM and not for anyone else.

2) Front 7: I need to use this as a disclaimer because I am about to talk about a few front 7 players and I don't want to give the impression I'm unaware of Seattles situation on the O-Line. I'm very aware so good play in the front 7 has to be tempered by who they were playing against. Seattle is a train wreck on the O-Line and have been for years. It makes me wonder how Wilson would function behind an actually competent line. That said....

3) DeForest Buckner: He didn't get a sack, but that dude was wreaking havoc. 4 QB hits, 5 Pressures, killing in vs run...man. 7th overall pick last year is showing why he was the 7th pick.

4) Aaron Lynch: Needs. To. Play. More. He is EASILY the best pass rusher on the team and when he's out there he provides what they lacked in week 1. Wasn't just the sack either...he was getting hits on Wilson as well. Jumped off the screen a few times.

5) Solomon Thomas: Flashing at times, invisible at others. Still not plaing like an edge rusher but still very raw. Seems to not be doing much for awhile and then flashes uncanny speed and athleticism for a man his size. Also not playing sound and got abused a few times on the read option. Once crashing down hard and another delaying to watch QB and RB ran right past him. Learning curve still in effect.

6) Arik Armstead: Didn't play like Buckner of course, but did flash some there. His sack was interesting because he was essentially unblocked but kinda had to navigate traffic to get there. Looked promising, but if my choices right now are Lynch or Armstead at Leo, I'm putting Lynch in the game.

7) Reuben Foster: Obviously, Reuben didn't play...but thats kinda my point. I just have to wonder if on any of those Wilson scrambles if Reuben would have been spying him and would have had the speed to chase him down. We'll have to wait till their second meeting to see but every time Wilson got one of those first downs I wondered if Reuben would have prevented it.

8) Safety: Good to see Ward in there again and didn't seem to have much rust. I've always like the guy and if he can be a true center fielder. I'm hoping Reid will be fine as I think this spot really fits him, but if not I'm comfortable with Tartt as well.

9) Marquise Goodwin: Catch. The. Ball. QB finally makes a play and you just flat drop the ball. Ugg. It won't go down on the stat sheet and it isn't something people will point out too much, but I did like seeing the small guy just BLOW UP Wagner on the INT return. To me, that shows he does care...which is something if you look at #21 in Dallas.

10) Week 2 of rebuild: Long way to go. Rough two weeks but the schedule will get a bit easier on the offense these next few weeks. I think the TD drought will end on Thurs and they'll put up at least 2 or 3. Total guess. Rams have a nice front 7 themselves, but not nearly what Niners have seen now in back to back weeks.

...and

11) O-Line: I usually do 10 but I make the rules so screw it. I couldn't leave out the O-Line. That was a monster of a job. Tomlinson played very well considering, Staley had a great game, and Trent Brown....wow. Two games into the season and he's allowed NOTHING in the pass rush. No hurries, no hits, no sacks. Its a great thing to get a premiere tackle in the 7th round.

12) One more: I couldn't leave out Carlos either. Line made some holes for him but he is playing well. He's really the ONLY Skill Player doing something right now. Through 2 games he's averaging 7 yards per carry.

Good stuff as always Marvin. I agree, Trent Brown is looking like a dominant RT. He might be the best player on the team and a top 5 tackle before.

Carlos Hyde is a gamer. I tip my hat off to him. Matt Breida has also flashed some serious potential. I think we could have something as a 1-2 punch with these two guys.

Our Defense was really, really solid. Especially our D-Line. Buckner was dominant. Armstead had a pretty solid game. Solomon Thomas finally had a play or two where I said "Okay, this guy has something". He also got dominated at times. He just needs to get bigger and stronger. Gotta remember he just turned 21 and only played two years of college football.

I agree with you that Aaron Lynch needs to play more. He's a pain in the ass and hardly a dominant pass rusher but he is our best pass rusher.

Earl Mitchell is solid as a rock in the middle stopping the run and I really think we have something in this D.J Jones kid. I think that guy will be a player for us.

Hoyer is awful but I would not go with Bethard just yet. Marquise Goodwin is who he was for 4 years in Buffalo. Dud!

Really impressed with the way Tomlinson played at LG despite only being on the team for less than 3 weeks. Man if he could be a solid guard for us that would be huge!
Good Stuff. I agree with the QB. No reason at all that Beathard should see the field. Hoyer is seasoned enough to take the hits. No need to destroy a rookies confidence.

Great points though all around
Originally posted by Marvin49:

...and

Great assessment as usual!! Especially number 1, I don't think any of us expected a lot from Hoyer but we did expect him to be serviceable and Hold place for Beathard. I do agree it's not time to put him in, just hoping Hoyer can start playing decent ball.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
watched the s**t fest on dvr last night cuz no way is this team worth 3+ plus hours. my stuff

Shanny seems like he is in over is head, seems flustered on the sideline dosen't show leadership or confidence.

Hoyer is absolutely trash, even worse than I thought, He makes me miss kap and even gabbert.

Goodwin is a pos, needs to be benched asap. Training camp champ we seen these before.

Hyde just like any other RB can run if oline opens holes for him, but he is dancing less this year which is good.

Run D is was better this year but wears down at end of games because O can't keep the ball. Same was true under chip.

Secondary blows seattle had people open all game, either willow missed them or they dropped balls. Should have at least 3 Ints yesterday.

Overall team is even worse than I had thought we would be and predicted an 0-16 record.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I had the same thoughts on Foster, I actually think we may have stolen a win in that game as I couldn't see Wilson making those key first down scrambles with Rueben on the field, he's too fast and reads the game too well. We will see when the Seahawks come to Levis if that's true.

I think Williams was great in the slot and I'd like to see us sign him up early on as he's on a year long prove it deal. I was really impressed with the defense, it's early days still but I think we might see a top 10 defense this year.

I thought Armstead played well, he had a few good tackles along with his sacks.

Special teams also impressed me, punt returns and kick off returns were good and I don't recall any penalties on us.

Kittle also flashed but was used sparingly, difficult to evaluate the TE and WR position with Hoyer looking lost, albeit I think Robinson should get a running Goodwin can't improve his hands.

Hyde was beasting, I hope he stays healthy.

It's early days, but the 2nd game into a massive rebuild in the hardest stadium to travel to against a defense of that calibre, it's a positive beginning in my book. I don't think Seattle's oline played terrible so there is some wait to the nod given to our defense, and for me we managed to prevent the big plays which have hurt us so badly in the past vs Wilson and Baldwin.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM ]
Agree with all points Marvin. I think we will put up points against the Rams this Thursday.

Hopefully the front 7 will get to Goff and sack him a couple of times. Those small hands will make him cough the ball up more. We still don't have any turnovers.
  • NoelC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
watched the s**t fest on dvr last night cuz no way is this team worth 3+ plus hours. my stuff

Shanny seems like he is in over is head, seems flustered on the sideline dosen't show leadership or confidence.

Hoyer is absolutely trash, even worse than I thought, He makes me miss kap and even gabbert.

Goodwin is a pos, needs to be benched asap. Training camp champ we seen these before.

Hyde just like any other RB can run if oline opens holes for him, but he is dancing less this year which is good.

Run D is was better this year but wears down at end of games because O can't keep the ball. Same was true under chip.

Secondary blows seattle had people open all game, either willow missed them or they dropped balls. Should have at least 3 Ints yesterday.

Overall team is even worse than I had thought we would be and predicted an 0-16 record.

Go take a hit man
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I think you don't give armstead as much credit as he deserves. He was double teamed. and he was all over the ball the whole game. Also I am glad ward is back, but tartt is playing to well and needs to be on the field too. So does reid if he's not injured. Ward needs to go back to corner. Its a waste of talent to not have the best players on the field, and ward can play corner. There is something fierce about Tarrt and reid on the field that ward can't match!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Jimmy Graham chucked AA. Arik just hugged him then let go and fell on his ass. That was pretty neat.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
AA tried to put a move on the LT and just fell on him. lol
[ Edited by SoCold on Sep 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM ]
I would add that the LB play is average to poor at this point. Ray Ray make at least one bone head penalty per game Harold is just ok does well setting the edge on the run. Bowman is no where to be found. Not only does he seem to have lost a step which I get with the injuries but he keeps running himself out of so many plays. I love Bow but Foster is the replacement and a couple more LB's are needed nest off season.
Great analysis Marv, as usual. I really LOVED what I saw from the defense yesterday. I think this front 7 is gonna be a real force for teams to handle. gonna produce at lease 2 or 3 probowlers.

You know, I haven't felt this optimistic about My Beloved 49ers since JH & Co. first season. I mean, we have a ACTUAL coaching staff with an ACTUAL clue and ACTUAL plans for a CONVINCING rebuild we can ACTUALLY see. Under that circumstance even a lose we can plainly see real progress, progress that's fundamental to the rebuild and not a bunch of expensive short-term patches. Yesterday I saw good progress, especially on defense. Clearly the offense is better than the last few seasons. The running game is clearly what's gonna base Kyle's.

I won't speak for other fans but to me watching the games are something to enjoy, even in a loss. I truly think this team will be back in contention in year 3 of this rebuild.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by fan49:
I think you don't give armstead as much credit as he deserves. He was double teamed. and he was all over the ball the whole game. Also I am glad ward is back, but tartt is playing to well and needs to be on the field too. So does reid if he's not injured. Ward needs to go back to corner. Its a waste of talent to not have the best players on the field, and ward can play corner. There is something fierce about Tarrt and reid on the field that ward can't match!

All the tape I just watched I didn't see Arik doubled one time? He was easily blocked by the TE, T or RB on every play I just watched. Except for this sack that was a busted blocking assignment by the TE and RB.
  • thl408
Very encouraged by the defensive performance. SEA's offense may not be good, but considering how poorly the 49ers have looked defensively the past couple seasons, it's easy to say that the defense is on the right track. ALynch needs to be in the lineup for good. No need for XCooper to be suiting up when there's positional flexibility from some of the other DL. Glad Ward was able to finish the game. I don't think Wilson tested the 49ers secondary deep so that's a good sign that Ward was in position.

Offensively it was frustrating not to see more short range passes designed to isolate the RB/TE. Maybe SEA was squatting all the short stuff. Considering how well the offense was running the ball, I would have thought the passing game (playaction) would have some semblance of success. Three red zone appearances, three field goals - that's ballgame.
Share 49ersWebzone