LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
About Saleh playing soft, there was a 3rd & 2 on IND's first drive of the game and Saleh dials up a soft Cover3. Brisset is making his, what, 5th career start? First drive of the game. Pressure that guy to make quick decisions. Force his hand. On the 3rd & 2 play, he completed a simple pass right over the middle in front of the Hook defenders. As simple as simple gets. That was way too easy.
Originally posted by thl408:
About Saleh playing soft, there was a 3rd & 2 on IND's first drive of the game and Saleh dials up a soft Cover3. Brisset is making his, what, 5th career start? First drive of the game. Pressure that guy to make quick decisions. Force his hand. On the 3rd & 2 play, he completed a simple pass right over the middle in front of the Hook defenders. As simple as simple gets. That was way too easy.

Yup and Ray Ray played way too conservatively too. He backed off instead of playing it like man-coverage. To me, 3rd and short you play that zone like a matching-man coverage. First guy and route in your zone you jump on it.

We also had 3rd and 29 from the 31 yard line and he did the same thing as the Mack play and backed everyone way off and gave up a simple 11 yard dump off to Gore. It would've been a 51 yard FG try or even a sack(especially cause we just got one on the previous play, though we did let a guy go free in the secondary that Brissett missed) it could have been a longer FG if we really put the screws to him. Instead, it was a 38 yard FG.
So it appears this week we have another set of players topping the LOAF chart with Saleh at #1.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Overall - It's hard to say the team isn't competing and hasn't had games for the winning this year when we've had one game come down to a last second TD drive, 2 overtime losses and a 3rd game that should've been overtime had our kicker who has the longest active FG streak hadn't missed an extra point...

The propensity we have to shoot ourselves in the foot at the most inopportune time with varying personnel is a special special skill thus far.

In fact, it's so automatic, the instant we have a positive play, I don't even get that excited anymore and immediately start looking for a flag.

Predicting the next eff up is one hell of a drinking game too!

...the joys of a young team learning new systems trying to break through a losing culture.

Funny you should mention that... my wife and I started our own little drinking game when a big play is negated by penalty on offense, or on defense, if a third down penalty gives an automatic first down. Needless to say, we've both been more buzzed by the end of the game lol.
Just say you guys agree already .

Here it is busting Quarters. As soon as the the safety matches the #2 WR, because that's what Quarters safeties are taught (match #2 if vertical), #1 has room to work the Post.
look at the swing in the flat as the #3, a complete vertical stretch now at both levels... yes indeed on the coverage rules, quarters was designed to beat the WCO back in the day... GB in NFCCG ripped us with it (95 or 96?)... I hate quarters, hardest coverage to attack IMO, have to be patient with it
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Oct 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
well, it's a slide concept which is a little different. The slide is it's own because you run play action opposite the direction of your routes. It's not a true flood because your backside crosser won't threaten the 1/3 side of the field until late in the play - the ball should be out before then. Your slide concept is more of a triangle stretch with horizontal action than a real "flood".

Another version is the "waggle" where you run PA towards the route side with a bootleg out that direction.

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
look at the swing in the flat as the #3, a complete vertical stretch now at both levels... yes indeed on the coverage rules, quarters was designed to beat the WCO back in the day... GB in NFCCG ripped us with it (95 or 96?)... I hate quarters, hardest coverage to attack IMO, have to be patient with it

If you have a good line and strong running game it allows to be patient. And unfortunately, this explains why 1995 and 1996 didn't end where we wanted considering how good our defenses where. Especially 1995.....that coulda been a juggernaught squad with just a little better OL and backfield.
Originally posted by Niners816:
If you have a good line and strong running game it allows to be patient. And unfortunately, this explains why 1995 and 1996 didn't end where we wanted considering how good our defenses where. Especially 1995.....that coulda been a juggernaught squad with just a little better OL and backfield.

What? The Loville/Walker combo didn't do it for you?
How AA doesn't lose his job after this game is beyond me

• thl408

4th and 1, 4th quarter down by 7....the call Spider Y Banana.

Luck was in the building

He threw the Venus in college and Gruden flipped out.....Hoyer threw the banana to Kittle.

Ok some nerdy X's and O's notes....the play luck drew is 21 personnel so by definition there's 2 WR so it actually has a vertical or as Gruden calls it a Venus. The X WR ran it. We ran it from 22 personnel so there's only one WR and there's no vertical.

Gruden is right that the FB is open 90% of the time. Juice got bumped off of his route a bit on the 4th down play. However I think this will be a big play for us as the install continues because it's a way to get both Juice and Kittle touches.

I watched the play again and it had a wrinkle to it. Celek chipped and then ran a drag. This added a little mesh action to this play.

This was a critical 4th & 1 to extend the drive leading to the game tying TD. Hoyer looks to Juice as the first read but Juice got tangled up and would not have gotten the first down if targeted. Hoyer with an odd shotput of a throw off his backfoot, and nice catch by Kittles. +19
4th and 1, 4th quarter down by 7....the call Spider Y Banana.

Luck was in the building

He threw the Venus in college and Gruden flipped out.....Hoyer threw the banana to Kittle.

Ok some nerdy X's and O's notes....the play luck drew is 21 personnel so by definition there's 2 WR so it actually has a vertical or as Gruden calls it a Venus. The X WR ran it. We ran it from 22 personnel so there's only one WR and there's no vertical.

Gruden is right that the FB is open 90% of the time. Juice got bumped off of his route a bit on the 4th down play. However I think this will be a big play for us as the install continues because it's a way to get both Juice and Kittle touches.

I watched the play again and it had a wrinkle to it. Celek chipped and then ran a drag. This added a little mesh action to this play.

This was a critical 4th & 1 to extend the drive leading to the game tying TD. Hoyer looks to Juice as the first read but Juice got tangled up and would not have gotten the first down if targeted. Hoyer with an odd shotput of a throw off his backfoot, and nice catch by Kittles. +19

"Give me another Banana"
  • thl408
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by Jmahoney1979:
During the game Spielman mentioned that Robinson was wide open in the end zone and Hoyer decided tontrhrow a swing pass to Brieda. I think it was the during the FG drive to make the score 16-9. Was Spielman right? Did Hoyer miss a wide open TD?

I think I remember that call and, from what I could see, that was one of those spots where the receiver looks at a glance like he'd been open, but the pass has already been thrown and his man is chasing the ball-carrier. Not positive though--I wouldn't mind seeing the coach's film.
The WR was open but there was pressure coming right up the middle. Hoyer threw hot (Brieda). One more split second and I think Hoyer sees the WR. I'll post this play tonight. It was a blown coverage by IND.

This is the next play after the Kittles 4th & 1 conversion. Celek motions across the formation and IND shifts their front, no defender followed, which could indicate zone coverage. The red safety is shifted over to the boundary and the SS is in the box. This suggests that FS could rotate to the middle of the field after the snap.

The red FS actually starts to play Cover2 and rotates further to the boundary. The hardest plays to interpret are when players blow their assignments. Is this Cover2 or Cover3? My guess is this is Cover3 and it's the red safety that needs to move to the middle of the field. If it's Cover2, then the SS (labeled in pic above) shouldn't be in the box. Only IND knows.

Hoyer is looking somewhere in the middle. Maybe he just missed ARobinson streaking down the middle. What he does see is a DE looping in on a stunt. Hoyer throws to his hot read, Brieda. Incomplete.

49ers would score a TD anyway, but the TV telecast mentioned a wide open Robinson so I wanted to show the play.
  • thl408
It's always nice to see the 49ers convert after shooting themselves in the foot. This is a 2nd & 16 after a holding call on Goodwin (1st quarter). Nowadays, the word 'innovative' is thrown around a lot when describing offensive football minds. But really, not much is being invented. It's just tweaking and/or disguising known concepts. This is a nicely drawn up play.
Breida is split wide. With a CB lined up over him, that signals zone coverage.

Breida motions back in tight to the formation. 49ers will run what looks like a Sucker concept to vertically stretch the Hook defender (blue). IND will drop 8 into coverage for what looks kinda like Tampa2 with a MLB dropping into an intermediate zone.

Breida's route draws the attention of the Hook defender as Goodwin attacks the area behind.

IND drops 8 into coverage and the play design still earns room for Goodwin to win. +19
  • thl408
49ers red zone performance this season has been bad. FGs galore in the ARI game, and two drives that ended up in short-ish FGs. According to this site, the 49ers are 26th in scoring TDs in the red zone at 44%.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

The first drive of the game almost ended with a TD. Kittle was winning on many of his routes this game. Even on plays where he was not targeted.

Trail concept (red + orange). With Kittle's corner route to attack the corner of the endzone.
vs Cover0

The blitz is on and Hoyer throws before Kittle makes his break. Kittle has outside leverage on the defender so the Corner route has a chance of winning.

The replay had a nice view of how close Kittle came to making a tough shoestring catch. Would have been a tough catch to make. If Hoyer is able to step into this throw and put some more air under it, Kittle has a better chance. Another field goal.
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone