There are 95 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Couldn't have said it better myself, I love this regime, John & Kyle are a great tandem, plus no leaks.

Agree wholeheartedly...

Originally posted by wolverine:
I just want to personally thank lynch for assembling one of the most Improved roster in the nfl that can compete for championships for years. I know a lot of people hate lynch for whatever reason because they think they know more about football. But I love my gm my coach and my players. I cannot wait for this coming season. It's gonna be soooooo f**king awesome to see bosa jimmy g trey lance dee Ford deebo kittle aiyuk our beefed up o line and the rest of great squad. I know a lot of people think we're not gonna be good next season but it's gonna be soooo fun to prove them wrong and laugh in their faces when we make some noise next season

Couldn't have said it better myself, I love this regime, John & Kyle are a great tandem, plus no leaks.

Count me in on that one!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
CAMELOT REBUILTTTTTTTT !!!!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I just want to personally thank lynch for assembling one of the most Improved roster in the nfl that can compete for championships for years. I know a lot of people hate lynch for whatever reason because they think they know more about football. But I love my gm my coach and my players. I cannot wait for this coming season. It's gonna be soooooo f**king awesome to see bosa jimmy g trey lance dee Ford deebo kittle aiyuk our beefed up o line and the rest of great squad. I know a lot of people think we're not gonna be good next season but it's gonna be soooo fun to prove them wrong and laugh in their faces when we make some noise next season

Count me in on that one!

There is much needed stability right now. They're doing a great job - including Jed staying out of the way.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Count me in on that one!

There is much needed stability right now. They're doing a great job - including Jed staying out of the way.
I don't think it's jed being out of the way, but more of having a competent Staff under him.
^^^agree
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Ethan has been with the Niners through the bad years too. 18 years I think...
  • thl408
Interesting article in The Athletic that asks the question, "are NFL teams better off trading later first-round choices to acquire established players?", with the acquisitions of Ramsey, Stafford, Jamal Adams, as examples. It then lists all the 1st round selections from 2011 till now, and whether the player was given the 5th year option, a sign that the 1st rounder selection is a good player.

This is for picks 19-32, and how often they got a 5th year option. Since 2015, it hasn't been pretty and you can make an argument that it's better to trade away late 1st round picks for a good veteran player.

For the 49ers, Lynch started off poorly (2017), but it seems like they've turned it around, only to trade away their 2022/2023 1st round picks, although it wasn't for an established veteran.
Originally posted by thl408:
Interesting article in The Athletic that asks the question, "are NFL teams better off trading later first-round choices to acquire established players?", with the acquisitions of Ramsey, Stafford, Jamal Adams, as examples. It then lists all the 1st round selections from 2011 till now, and whether the player was given the 5th year option, a sign that the 1st rounder selection is a good player.

This is for picks 19-32, and how often they got a 5th year option. Since 2015, it hasn't been pretty and you can make an argument that it's better to trade away late 1st round picks for a good veteran player.

For the 49ers, Lynch started off poorly (2017), but it seems like they've turned it around, only to trade away their 2022/2023 1st round picks, although it wasn't for an established veteran.

I mean it all depends on who you're trading for…Guys you trade for that need to reset the market (Mack/Ramsey/Adams) could be a lot. Then you got dudes that can get injured after you pay them like Ford or just don't ball out like they did in perviously (OBJ/Yannick).

At least with a draft pick you don't have that massive contract tied to them….easier to swallow if you mess up, especially a later 1st rd pick.

I see the benefits of both.

Originally posted by mayo49:

Count me in on that one!

Ditto

John n Kyle when they traded up for Lance.
who is the last "star" fa that made a tangible preference for the 49ers over any other team? Meaning either agreeing to a discount or choosing us when the money was equal?
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
who is the last "star" fa that made a tangible preference for the 49ers over any other team? Meaning either agreeing to a discount or choosing us when the money was equal?

That's kind of hard to say, since no one but the player, and teams involved know the true offers. Idk if KC was close to SF on Trent, but he chose SF.

It's tough, cause back before they did this whole FA Frenzy on NFL Network, players actually made visits to the team facilities, like Justin Smith in 2008, or Nate Clements in 2007, those were two of the bigger signings during the Mike Nolan/Scot McCloughan era, also crazy money, at the time, well for Clements, like 8yr $80M deal, even though it was really a 4yr $40M ish deal since Harbaugh cut him in 2011, which would have been his 5th yr into the deal.
That's kind of hard to say, since no one but the player, and teams involved know the true offers. Idk if KC was close to SF on Trent, but he chose SF.

It's tough, cause back before they did this whole FA Frenzy on NFL Network, players actually made visits to the team facilities, like Justin Smith in 2008, or Nate Clements in 2007, those were two of the bigger signings during the Mike Nolan/Scot McCloughan era, also crazy money, at the time, well for Clements, like 8yr $80M deal, even though it was really a 4yr $40M ish deal since Harbaugh cut him in 2011, which would have been his 5th yr into the deal.

I remember the clements deal, but I thought we were the only ones who offered that kind of cash
Share 49ersWebzone