There are 122 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
This isn't a Lynch problem. If you replace him with Peters you have the same issue.
Problem is Kyle. His dominating personality and poor talent evaluation is the reason why we draft poorly in the initial rounds. He puts in a couple hours of film, sets his sights on a couple guys he likes and they go after them. Lynch even acquiesced to his wish for Joe Williams even though the scouts removed him off their board.
And why do we draft well in the later rounds? Cause Kyle didn't go deep enough and let's Peters and the scouts to do their job.
I honestly believe the Niners would draft better if Kyle wasn't in the draft room.
I tend to lean this way too.

Yet it was Lynch who wanted Solomon Thomas and traded up for Reuben Foster. Tell me who's dumb ass traded DeForest Buckner only to replace him with a DT anyway?? You think Shanahan had anything to do with that?? You think Belichick would've traded Jimmy G to the 49ers if it was John Lynch and Chip Kelly?? Who do you think doesn't value the secondary more Lynch or Shanahan?? Shanahan was the one who put the work in to get Richard Sherman when he was first released, I don't recall Lynch being at that dinner.

Shanahan is the draw, Lynch is just a face and a name. Remove Lynch and this organization won't miss a beat and will probably be better.
This isn't a Lynch problem. If you replace him with Peters you have the same issue.
Problem is Kyle. His dominating personality and poor talent evaluation is the reason why we draft poorly in the initial rounds. He puts in a couple hours of film, sets his sights on a couple guys he likes and they go after them. Lynch even acquiesced to his wish for Joe Williams even though the scouts removed him off their board.
And why do we draft well in the later rounds? Cause Kyle didn't go deep enough and let's Peters and the scouts to do their job.
I honestly believe the Niners would draft better if Kyle wasn't in the draft room.

How to conclude he has a dominant personality ? I'm taking from his demeanor that he's not tough enough. Dominant personality would be grabbing Mc glitchy by the facemask last game and screening in his face for getting trounced on.
i think Kyle needs to be part of the decision makers for drafting. For FA pick ups we need some aggressiveness and it seems we're always late to the party then use the same excuse after that we looked into it.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yet it was Lynch who wanted Solomon Thomas and traded up for Reuben Foster. Tell me who's dumb ass traded DeForest Buckner only to replace him with a DT anyway?? You think Shanahan had anything to do with that?? You think Belichick would've traded Jimmy G to the 49ers if it was John Lynch and Chip Kelly?? Who do you think doesn't value the secondary more Lynch or Shanahan?? Shanahan was the one who put the work in to get Richard Sherman when he was first released, I don't recall Lynch being at that dinner.

Shanahan is the draw, Lynch is just a face and a name. Remove Lynch and this organization won't miss a beat and will probably be better.

Look don't get me wrong, I love Kyle. As a coach. I think he has a sterling reputation and it's why Belicheck called him and why Sherman wanted to play with the Niners. Kyle is the draw, but it's not his talent evaluation why people come calling.
All I'm saying is I speculate whether or not his influence in the draft room is helping us. It's almost abnormal how often we miss on the first couple rounds. If Kyle took an extended vacation in Cabo, i feel like we would have a better draft.
  • Silky
  • Veteran

Look don't get me wrong, I love Kyle. As a coach. I think he has a sterling reputation and it's why Belicheck called him and why Sherman wanted to play with the Niners. Kyle is the draw, but it's not his talent evaluation why people come calling.
All I'm saying is I speculate whether or not his influence in the draft room is helping us. It's almost abnormal how often we miss on the first couple rounds. If Kyle took an extended vacation in Cabo, i feel like we would have a better draft.

If he didn't have so many Pina Coladas maybe we land Stafford

It's probably a hard move for Jed to make considering the previous regime with Baalke not sharing anything with Harbaugh and turning in picks like Jenkins with a sealed envelope.

The GM needs to at least have a group of players they agree on per pick, but then let the GM do his thing at that time.
keep blaming the drafting an play calling but you all know if we had just 75% of those players on the field then wed be winning more games. an guess why we have less than 75% of those playrrs on the field........
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

First couple of rounds have been more on the defense than offense. Sure the 49ers hit with Nick Bosa, but was that a hard decision or require major scouting?? Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Elijah Mitchell and Mike McGlinchey are key starters on offense, not to mention all the free agents on offense they have added BECAUSE of Shanahan.
Remember when everyone wanted Ballard and how every media analyst sucks on his balls for being this great GM....currently 1-4 multiple losing seasons (two decent yrs) no QB and haven't won the division once.

I'd rather have him over Lynch but damn dude if you don't get the QB right nothing else matters.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'd rather have him over Lynch but damn dude if you don't get the QB right nothing else matters.

The 49ers have done a s**tty job drafting recently, but if Trey turns into a franchise QB, all is forgiven.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Remember when everyone wanted Ballard and how every media analyst sucks on his balls for being this great GM....currently 1-4 multiple losing seasons (two decent yrs) no QB and haven't won the division once.

But it wasn't Ballard who picked up Wentz right??

I know we all value 1st round picks (myself included) but it's worth noting that 2 of the more successful teams in recent years haven't had much success in that round. NE has an awful record drafting, not just in the first round. Seattle usually trades theirs away. Same with the Rams. From a team standpoint, they're actually bette roff having success in the later rounds since those guys make less money. We fans always project this player or tha tplayer with visions of him solving a big problem. In fact a lot of 1st round picks never live up to expectations while mid rounders and free agents make the pro bowl.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I know we all value 1st round picks (myself included) but it's worth noting that 2 of the more successful teams in recent years haven't had much success in that round. NE has an awful record drafting, not just in the first round. Seattle usually trades theirs away. Same with the Rams. From a team standpoint, they're actually bette roff having success in the later rounds since those guys make less money. We fans always project this player or tha tplayer with visions of him solving a big problem. In fact a lot of 1st round picks never live up to expectations while mid rounders and free agents make the pro bowl.

I also value 1st round picks but if its the right player shoot throw the draft him for all I care!!! Khalil Mack or young Julio Jones is who I'm talking about.

I'm fine with Lynch, I mean, yeah Ballard did good by drafting Leonard, Nelson, & Smith in 2018, but, how could he go wrong with Nelson, just like with Bosa in 2019, I mean, both have been good GMs, I don't give a crap about this whole he's drafting bad, again, 35% hit rate is considered good, and as I've said, most draft picks don't play out their rookie deal, and sure as hell don't see a 2nd deal, the draft is a huge crapshoot.

As for teams like us, Indy, and now KC, all under .500, I wonder if Chiefs fans want Reid & their GM fired? Or do NE fans want Belicheck fired for letting Brady walk? Oh and look the Ravens have a NFL high 16 players on IR now, wonder if their fans think they should fire their GM?

So, I'm happy with what Lynch & Shanahan have done, sure the Buckner trade was dumb, but that wasn't all on Lynch, I have some good info that it was more to do with Shanahan, and Buck wanted out after the SB, he wasn't happy. Can't say where I got that from, but, I have a source who told me some other things, can't really get into it, basically if you knew what I knew, you'd understand what happened with Buckner, and other players, and some stuff about how guys like Paraag are in real life(he's apparently a prick and very umm arrogant from what I've been told).

I also value 1st round picks but if its the right player shoot throw the draft him for all I care!!! Khalil Mack or young Julio Jones is who I'm talking about.

We tried to get Mack, Raiders chose the Bears offer, had we gotten him, it likely would have cost us our 2018 & 2019 1st, so no Bosa, also possibly some 2nd and/or 3rds, so maybe no Warner or Deebo, something to think about.

As for Julio, as I said back in the offseason, we couldn't afford him anyway, salary & draft pick wise, we have no 1's till 2024, we weren't trading that for a 30+ yr old WR.

Bosa was a decent pick.
Share 49ersWebzone