LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 147 users in the forums

Kaepernick's Trade Value

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I dont see how he wins out in training camp. Before he had the advantage because he was the default as the starter. Now they are even or it tips in gabberts favor if the coaches rely on last season. I dont possibly see how he can learn the playbook faster than gabbert. They had to dumb the offense down for him and kellys scheme is far more complicated.

Keeping him and even giving him and gabbert equal footing will hurt the team by splitting resources on 2 qbs. It would be better for them to coach up gabbert as the starter and then wait for him to fail than to try and have a camp competition.

Coaches won't rely on last season. New HC, new system, open competition = clean slate for everyone. They are both equal once camp starts. One may get a slight edge in OTAs or something but definitely not last year.

They will also each get plenty of reps. Chip runs A TON of plays in practice and camp. They will both have ample opportunities to separate themselves. Chip is a different animal when it comes to offense and I can't wait
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Mar 17, 2016 at 7:06 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by eamjr10:
I don't think it's a guarantee he will be sitting on the bench if he is still on this team next season, he will have the opportunity to win the job in camp and the competition isn't necessarily unbeatable.

I dont see how he wins out in training camp. Before he had the advantage because he was the default as the starter. Now they are even or it tips in gabberts favor if the coaches rely on last season. I dont possibly see how he can learn the playbook faster than gabbert. They had to dumb the offense down for him and kellys scheme is far more complicated.

Keeping him and even giving him and gabbert equal footing will hurt the team by splitting resources on 2 qbs. It would be better for them to coach up gabbert as the starter and then wait for him to fail than to try and have a camp competition.
I can hear the excuse makers now saying Kelly conspired against Kaepernick installing a complicated offense knowing it would be way over his head. They will say the front office lied to Kap trying to get him to stay and told him Kelly would install the Tecmo Bowl offense so he would have a good chance to learn it as fast as Gabbert.
  • thl408
Three Kap threads is too many. Everyone's made their estimates on Kap's trade value. We'll see if anyone got it correct.
Share 49ersWebzone