There are 233 users in the forums

Kaepernick's Trade Value

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Chips going resurrect Kaps career, he don't know it yet
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I thought this was a trade value thread. I don't know what was offered by whom but I wouldn't trade Kap for anything less than a second seeing what the QB market looks like now and I'd settle for CLE third as well perhaps. DEN can start Sanchez all they want but shy of their second Kap stays here and we pay him. I don't want to hear about how he poisons the locker room and how he's not buying in and yada yada. It makes zero difference because if he loses camp to Blaine or doesn't show he is but an afterthought anyway. Like Polian said I would not trade Kap for pennies simply because there's zero benefit to us. Kap can't hurt this team any more than his poor play on the field. He can't hurt us financially or otherwise. Kap's best play right now is to insist on getting what we're paying him from us or another team. If he takes a pay cut in a trade and still sucks he's lost money he'll never see again in his career. If he is stuck here he's guaranteed another $11.9M over his career and he has an opportunity to play with a coach that just got Sam Bradford another $35 million. Think about that. Why the hell would he take a pay cut right now just to leave SF?

I want TB to hold firm on his demands and just keep Kap if they aren't met. That's our best play

Well said. I'll provide another perspective. How often has a player been actively shopped around the league, not moved, then asked to come back to the team? I don't know the answer to this, but when it happens, it can't leave a good taste in the player's mouth. For a team to basically say they are willing to move the player, not find the asking price, then expect the player to commit to the team and play hard, seems like wishful thinking. Sure Kap should be professional about it and compete, but in an already fractured relationship, I would not expect him to be thrilled in any way to have to come back to the team in 2016 and play.

Trent can stand pat with his asking price till he's blue in the face, but the market is what sets the value imo. It's not uncommon for a person to overvalue his asset. If it doesn't get sold, then he's misjudged the market. There's a chance that RG3ing Kap will present the 49ers with a different market at the end of 2016. A market that values Kap higher than what it is currently, but that's a gamble to think a player that sits a full season will end up with higher value than before.

I don't fully believe what I just typed. Just wanted to throw this out. I'm on the fence about this, but I have a feeling Kap must be moved before the season, or not play at all. It's gotten beyond the point of being a good situation for the player, and the team, to bring him back and play.

Excellent points. I'll add on even more. How many times has a player asked to be released, tested the market, realized that the grass may not be greener on the other side and then came back? Goldson comes to mind...we offered him a 5 year, $25M contract...he held out, didn't get his asking prices in the market and then came back to us to play for $5M. Later, the market increased and he signed for $40M with the Bucs. In this case, CK wants to leave and as a player under contract, still test the market and our willingness to trade him the day AFTER the FO supported him in the media. Not smart. But we have the cap space and we're in full rebuilding mode now so if we don't get the offer we want (and CK doesn't restructure to make the deal favorable) a disgruntled CK can sit and rot on the bench RGIII-style...maybe he'll watch some film. That or he man's up, competes his ass off and gives it a go and may the best man win. SF is a better place now (Kelly) than the Browns. Denver may be a better team for CK b/c so little would be placed on his shoulders but if they don't pony up what our FO wants, oh-well.

CK...you've got between the Browns and Niners right now. You can restructure and get out of here (lose $5M) to go to the Browns, stay and pout and earn $11.9M on the bench but destroy your market for next year or stay and man-up and try to beat out Gabbert/Goff, etc.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I thought this was a trade value thread. I don't know what was offered by whom but I wouldn't trade Kap for anything less than a second seeing what the QB market looks like now and I'd settle for CLE third as well perhaps. DEN can start Sanchez all they want but shy of their second Kap stays here and we pay him. I don't want to hear about how he poisons the locker room and how he's not buying in and yada yada. It makes zero difference because if he loses camp to Blaine or doesn't show he is but an afterthought anyway. Like Polian said I would not trade Kap for pennies simply because there's zero benefit to us. Kap can't hurt this team any more than his poor play on the field. He can't hurt us financially or otherwise. Kap's best play right now is to insist on getting what we're paying him from us or another team. If he takes a pay cut in a trade and still sucks he's lost money he'll never see again in his career. If he is stuck here he's guaranteed another $11.9M over his career and he has an opportunity to play with a coach that just got Sam Bradford another $35 million. Think about that. Why the hell would he take a pay cut right now just to leave SF?

I want TB to hold firm on his demands and just keep Kap if they aren't met. That's our best play

Well said. I'll provide another perspective. How often has a player been actively shopped around the league, not moved, then asked to come back to the team? I don't know the answer to this, but when it happens, it can't leave a good taste in the player's mouth. For a team to basically say they are willing to move the player, not find the asking price, then expect the player to commit to the team and play hard, seems like wishful thinking. Sure Kap should be professional about it and compete, but in an already fractured relationship, I would not expect him to be thrilled in any way to have to come back to the team in 2016 and play.

Trent can stand pat with his asking price till he's blue in the face, but the market is what sets the value imo. It's not uncommon for a person to overvalue his asset. If it doesn't get sold, then he's misjudged the market. There's a chance that RG3ing Kap will present the 49ers with a different market at the end of 2016. A market that values Kap higher than what it is currently, but that's a gamble to think a player that sits a full season will end up with higher value than before.

I don't fully believe what I just typed. Just wanted to throw this out. I'm on the fence about this, but I have a feeling Kap must be moved before the season, or not play at all. It's gotten beyond the point of being a good situation for the player, and the team, to bring him back and play.

Excellent points. I'll add on even more. How many times has a player asked to be released, tested the market, realized that the grass may not be greener on the other side and then came back? Goldson comes to mind...we offered him a 5 year, $25M contract...he held out, didn't get his asking prices in the market and then came back to us to play for $5M. Later, the market increased and he signed for $40M with the Bucs. In this case, CK wants to leave and as a player under contract, still test the market and our willingness to trade him the day AFTER the FO supported him in the media. Not smart. But we have the cap space and we're in full rebuilding mode now so if we don't get the offer we want (and CK doesn't restructure to make the deal favorable) a disgruntled CK can sit and rot on the bench RGIII-style...maybe he'll watch some film. That or he man's up, competes his ass off and gives it a go and may the best man win. SF is a better place now (Kelly) than the Browns. Denver may be a better team for CK b/c so little would be placed on his shoulders but if they don't pony up what our FO wants, oh-well.

CK...you've got between the Browns and Niners right now. You can restructure and get out of here (lose $5M) to go to the Browns, stay and pout and earn $11.9M on the bench but destroy your market for next year or stay and man-up and try to beat out Gabbert/Goff, etc.

Has an NFL QB who was once the starter ever asked for a trade and was forced to stay on the team?

In my +40 years of watching the NFL I can not recall any.....
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Has an NFL QB who was once the starter ever asked for a trade and was forced to stay on the team?

I believe Carson Palmer did. Then decided to retire until Oakland ended up trading for him
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by aTx49er:

I believe Carson Palmer did. Then decided to retire until Oakland ended up trading for him

Yeah I remember him forcing a trade by threatening to retire. He'd already made a lot of money from his first two contracts so he might have been serious about it. I doubt Kaep would try that though.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Nothing good can come from keeping him. Anyone ever work with someone who was been trying to find another job, but can't? They poison the work place. That combined with people losing respect for Kaepernick for various reasons makes keeping him a really bad decision.
Originally posted by BobS:
Nothing good can come from keeping him. Anyone ever work with someone who was been trying to find another job, but can't? They poison the work place. That combined with people losing respect for Kaepernick for various reasons makes keeping him a really bad decision.

good point, agreed.

lulz. Except he has no say in getting a job. If he was a FA he would have a different job by now. Its funny when you try and make a point.

Agree with Kap moving on, just think your post is tired and doesn't even make sense.
It's not in his best interest to not restructure his contract to work with the Browns or broncos.

Him refusing to take a pay cut and assume the niners will keep him and either let him compete or have him ride the pine for 12 mill is misguided.

The niners could still cut him. Then imagine what kind of a contract the broncos/browns will offer to a guy without a job.

He has value while a niners as he is still employed. He should take the cut and move on. If he gets cut by the team he will lose millions on a broncos/browns offer compared to what he could get now.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
It's not in his best interest to not restructure his contract to work with the Browns or broncos.

Him refusing to take a pay cut and assume the niners will keep him and either let him compete or have him ride the pine for 12 mill is misguided.

The niners could still cut him. Then imagine what kind of a contract the broncos/browns will offer to a guy without a job.

He has value while a niners as he is still employed. He should take the cut and move on. If he gets cut by the team he will lose millions on a broncos/browns offer compared to what he could get now.

If only Kap was smart and had some intellect.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

lulz. Except he has no say in getting a job. If he was a FA he would have a different job by now. Its funny when you try and make a point.

Agree with Kap moving on, just think your post is tired and doesn't even make sense.

Judge and bob trying to hit there post count in the Kap threads again today
Lol
And that kind of negative attitude would absolutely destroy not only his trade value, but probably his career as well. He isn't known now for having a stellar locker room presence. Look at RG3 and all the offers he is getting,lol. Kaepernick would be well served to fire the idiots that represent him, get some people that know how to go about building up an athletes image. Then come to camp, smile,nod, say how lucky he is to be there, work hard, delete his twitter account, or better yet give his agents the only access to all his social media. Then he would be worth a lot more on the market, and might be getting better offers for his services. And it might even freaking work out if he tries hard to learn Kelly's system.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Mar 16, 2016 at 8:54 AM ]
I still think it boils down to kap staying here adn collecting his money and then rotting on the bench for another yr. or kap getting off his azz, talking with elway and convincing him to take him on at a vastly reduced salary. WhY? Because if kap wants to go out playing football, moving on to a team he is happy with requires making sacrifices...in this case, parting with some of that $12 mil. If he just wants the money, agreed, best bet is to stay here. But if he wants to play, he needs to be elsewhere, and if that costs him some money, well it is well worth it to get a shot at starting.

Imagine what happens if kap , unlikely as it seems, wins a competition here. Team is going to be split in backing kap, some seeing him as a young kid, immature, and a team divider. Others may see him as a leader. But kap as a starter here.... i just don't see it. Chip is looking for quick reads and quick decisons. That ainl't kap. That is the anti kap. So by rights he won't do well in the chip system. If he really wants to play, give up on some of that money and go elsewhere. I guess that is what a real man would do. A guy in it for the money....he would stay and just collect his salary, altho unearned. That seems like a lose/lose to me.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If he really wants to play, give up on some of that money and go elsewhere. I guess that is what a real man would do. A guy in it for the money....he would stay and just collect his salary, altho unearned. That seems like a lose/lose to me.

His only advice probably comes from Ms. Sloppy Seconds... so no.. he's not leaving that money on the table. I'm sure she is telling him to grab all he can.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I still think it boils down to kap staying here adn collecting his money and then rotting on the bench for another yr. or kap getting off his azz, talking with elway and convincing him to take him on at a vastly reduced salary. WhY? Because if kap wants to go out playing football, moving on to a team he is happy with requires making sacrifices...in this case, parting with some of that $12 mil. If he just wants the money, agreed, best bet is to stay here. But if he wants to play, he needs to be elsewhere, and if that costs him some money, well it is well worth it to get a shot at starting.

Imagine what happens if kap , unlikely as it seems, wins a competition here. Team is going to be split in backing kap, some seeing him as a young kid, immature, and a team divider. Others may see him as a leader. But kap as a starter here.... i just don't see it. Chip is looking for quick reads and quick decisons. That ainl't kap. That is the anti kap. So by rights he won't do well in the chip system. If he really wants to play, give up on some of that money and go elsewhere. I guess that is what a real man would do. A guy in it for the money....he would stay and just collect his salary, altho unearned. That seems like a lose/lose to me.

That would require sage counseling by his representation...something that has been completely lacking IMHO. His agents are awful...or he doesn't listen.
Share 49ersWebzone