LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 300 users in the forums

Kaepernick's Trade Value

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
What do you think Kap's trade value is around the league? What would you accept in a trade? There are two answers here. For example, "He's worth a 1st rounder to another GM, but I don't care, I'll take a 5th rounder". Or, "He's worth a mid rounder to other GMs, but anything less than a 1st rounder is a bad trade."

A couple recent trades for starting QBs.

Cutler was traded to CHI for: two 1st round picks + 3rd round pick + Kyle Orton
Smith traded to KC for: two 2nd round picks

I think another GM looking to acquire Kap would give up 2 mid round picks. So I'll go with other GMs thinking he's worth two 3rd rounders. I'll be content with one 2nd rounder + a third day pick (4th rounder). I can see a GM looking at the potential upside for a playoff experienced QB with physical tools that thinks his coaches can bring out the best in Kap.

This isn't about whether he should or shouldn't be traded. There are other threads to discuss what Kap has done, what he can do, what he can't do. This is about his estimated trade value. What do you think Kap can fetch in return?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He absolutely has trade value - even on his current deal. This league has 7-10 QBs and a whole lot of nothing else. Just like with Alex -- somebody will want to try their luck with him. He is battle tested and has significant playoff (road) victories on his resume.

My guess is a single 3rd round pick with his current contract. Perhaps a 2nd rounder if he renegotiates.
[ Edited by okdkid on Nov 21, 2015 at 11:53 PM ]
We weren't desperate to trade Alex..so the Chiefs had to give up some good draft picks.

And Alex left playing well.

Kap on the other hand, our loose mounths in the front office make it easier for teams to sit back and wait for us to release him or really low draft pick.

teams also have examples in our past where we have traded our 2nd rounders for jack s**t....or our former ProBowlers or Vets for low picks. Sometimes for low picks in the year after as well.

So I don't expect us to get anything major...infact I expect Colin to be able to choose his team and rework his deal..and a low pick.

or the front office will try to save face and just release him....and act like that is what they wanted to do this whole time.

but the question is, who will have a better record next year...or the next two years.

Kap and his new team

or the Tomsula led 9ers with Gabbert or a 1st rd Pick QB?

I'm betting on Kap.
We're not getting anything for him with the way he's been handled.

I agree with Afrikan.
For a team who really wants him, I'll say 2 first round pick
he has no real trade value with that contract and status imo. we were extremely lucky chiefs (well, andy reid specifically was a big alex fan) gave us two high picks for alex, and alex didnt end the year crashing down with injury and just bad play.

this is a situation if teams smell we're desperate to get rid of a qb, they will offer very low compensation. I don't expect anything higher than a third rounder, and even that might be too much.
  • thl408
I think the way his contract is structured is a plus for an interested GM. How he can be cut with relatively low dead cap as a result. So if he doesn't perform for his new team, he can be let go without a huge penalty.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/colin-kaepernick/
Chip Kelly, buffalo, Texans, Detroit are all teams that would interested but giving how the 9ers bungled this up they will get nothing no body will trade for a player that everyone and there momma knows will be cut anyways
A ham sandwich.
We really have dicked this whole thing up. I truly believe the Eagles would have rather given us the package they traded for Bradford.

I think the best case sceniro at this point is getting anything in the mid rounds.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Kap, as he is has ZERO trade value. Unless unknown to us there are more than 1 team that is highly interested in him and things become competitive which is highly unlikely. I can see may be 1 team like the Eagles being interested, but the point is not unless the situation becomes competitive there is no good reason for anyone to trade for Kap.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought you couldn't trade injured players in the NFL.
Before this latest news I thought someone might cough up a day 2 pick, now? maybe a 4th. Some team might give up decent compensation to secure him before he reaches free agency. Maybe the Jets if they don't think they can beat out the Eagles for him.
What a fu***** joke. :facepalm:
2 3's
Share 49ersWebzone