Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 484 users in the forums

Game #9 - The Good, Bad, Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The ATL coach should be fired for that last field goal. Best case scenario is they make the FG, remain 1pt down, stop 49ers 3 and out and get the ball back with a minute something and have to go 40+ yards to get into FG range and win.

VS.

Trusting your offense to get 2 yard TD on 4th down. IF you make it you likely will win. If you dont, you have 49ers pinned at their own 2, you can force a 3 and out and get the ball back likely in SF zone and go for TD with a minute something left.

If you have Julio Jones and Freeman and Ryan i dont see how you pass that chance up.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He can handle it. Took the hit.

0 sacks

Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
The ATL coach should be fired for that last field goal. Best case scenario is they make the FG, remain 1pt down, stop 49ers 3 and out and get the ball back with a minute something and have to go 40+ yards to get into FG range and win.

VS.

Trusting your offense to get 2 yard TD on 4th down. IF you make it you likely will win. If you dont, you have 49ers pinned at their own 2, you can force a 3 and out and get the ball back likely in SF zone and go for TD with a minute something left.

If you have Julio Jones and Freeman and Ryan i dont see how you pass that chance up.

I was completely stunned Atlanta didn't go for it on fourth down. Maybe Quinn had thought the Niners hadn't done much in the second half and the defense would be able to stop the Niners? That would be ignoring the fact that a large reason for many of the stops were flat out drops by wide open Niners receivers.

Either way, it was an absolutely terrible decision with the game on the line.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He can handle it. Took the hit.

0 sacks

Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.

I'm not seeing what you are saying about his problem in the game yesterday. I think he did pretty good. Here's one blitz up the middle.


Link
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 9, 2015 at 7:48 AM ]
Quinns decision was abysmal. Period. Choke city. With that said, DL of Niners won this game by taking away run. Well done for sure.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He can handle it. Took the hit.

0 sacks

Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.

I'm not seeing what you are saying about his problem in the game yesterday. I think he did pretty good. Here's one blitz up the middle.


Link

Didn't feel like sitting through a 30 second commercial to see which play you're talking about, but from the title I'm assuming it's the pass to Patton?

If so, yeah, it was an interior blitz and he bailed out to the right of the pocket. Kaepernick can do that too.

I'm talking about him standing tall in the pocket while facing interior pressure and not wilting or throwing it up off his back foot, which was what made him so ineffective in Jacksonville.

There were two cases of that yesterday. The first one was the unnecessary roughness, and I don't blame him at all for wilting and just trying to get the ball out of his hand.

The second one was the INT when he threw off his back foot directly to a defender in coverage. Was that because he had gotten his clock cleaned on the drive before, or does he still have that problem he's always had (which Kap shares; Kap might even be worse with that problem).

I'm not trashing the guy, I'm just saying I'm not ready to be excited about him until I see him have to deal with some things that have always been his downfall.
Originally posted by jogr49:
Quinns decision was abysmal. Period. Choke city. With that said, DL of Niners won this game by taking away run. Well done for sure.

I think that's why they had Purcell instead of Tank playing yesterday. They needed to be more stout in the run game. Good decision by Mangini/Tomsula
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He can handle it. Took the hit.

0 sacks

Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.

I'm not seeing what you are saying about his problem in the game yesterday. I think he did pretty good. Here's one blitz up the middle.


Link

Didn't feel like sitting through a 30 second commercial to see which play you're talking about, but from the title I'm assuming it's the pass to Patton?

If so, yeah, it was an interior blitz and he bailed out to the right of the pocket. Kaepernick can do that too.

I'm talking about him standing tall in the pocket while facing interior pressure and not wilting or throwing it up off his back foot, which was what made him so ineffective in Jacksonville.

There were two cases of that yesterday. The first one was the unnecessary roughness, and I don't blame him at all for wilting and just trying to get the ball out of his hand.

The second one was the INT when he threw off his back foot directly to a defender in coverage. Was that because he had gotten his clock cleaned on the drive before, or does he still have that problem he's always had (which Kap shares; Kap might even be worse with that problem).

I'm not trashing the guy, I'm just saying I'm not ready to be excited about him until I see him have to deal with some things that have always been his downfall.



Pressure from the inside DT. They were stunting but in his face all the same.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He can handle it. Took the hit.

0 sacks

Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.

I'm not seeing what you are saying about his problem in the game yesterday. I think he did pretty good. Here's one blitz up the middle.


Link

Didn't feel like sitting through a 30 second commercial to see which play you're talking about, but from the title I'm assuming it's the pass to Patton?

If so, yeah, it was an interior blitz and he bailed out to the right of the pocket. Kaepernick can do that too.

I'm talking about him standing tall in the pocket while facing interior pressure and not wilting or throwing it up off his back foot, which was what made him so ineffective in Jacksonville.

There were two cases of that yesterday. The first one was the unnecessary roughness, and I don't blame him at all for wilting and just trying to get the ball out of his hand.

The second one was the INT when he threw off his back foot directly to a defender in coverage. Was that because he had gotten his clock cleaned on the drive before, or does he still have that problem he's always had (which Kap shares; Kap might even be worse with that problem).

I'm not trashing the guy, I'm just saying I'm not ready to be excited about him until I see him have to deal with some things that have always been his downfall.

If you are talking about the INT after Gabbert took the hit...well, he got some completions before that INT and after the hit. That 2nd INT, our TE had the advantage against a LB. Gabbert threw the ball and the LB had his back to the ball. Most of the time, that's either an incomplete or a catch. It was solid coverage on what originally looked to be a mismatch.

My thoughts, I think Gabbert threw it too low and could have thrown it where the TE had to reach up so he could use his height.
  • Jiks
  • Member
  • Posts: 29,220
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Yeah, he took the hit, and then after that threw off his back foot directly into coverage. Is that because he took a hell of a hit? Is it just because he made a mistake in his read? Is it because it was really the only two times he faced serious interior pressure that day because he was playing a team that can't generate a pass rush? We don't yet know the answers to these things yet.

I'm not knocking the guy, he played really well and made some throws we haven't seen from Kaepernick, but I'm not asking if he can get hit in the mouth or not. That's never been the problem. His problem is that he breaks down when facing interior pressure and makes boneheaded decisions. That happened yesterday. It was one play, but it happened. If in the last two years he's learned how to step into a throw and take a hit that would be great, but so far, despite him playing a good game overall, he still looks to be who he is. I'm OF COURSE rooting for him to not be who he is, though.

I'm liking Gabbert but he didn't really get hit on that play. The DL ended up putting his paws on Gabbert's chest which wouldn't have knocked him down. The reason he fell down was because he tripped over a DL that fell behind him.

But still, he threw more completions after the big second half hit.

Loved his emotion coming back into the huddle. He was amped and showed it to his teammates in the huddle.
Anyone have a gif of Gabbert talking to his team in the huddle after coming back into the game? Leadership!!!!!...well, not really, but it was good to see.
  • Jiks
  • Member
  • Posts: 29,220
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm liking Gabbert but he didn't really get hit on that play. The DL ended up putting his paws on Gabbert's chest which wouldn't have knocked him down. The reason he fell down was because he tripped over a DL that fell behind him.

But still, he threw more completions after the big second half hit.

Loved his emotion coming back into the huddle. He was amped and showed it to his teammates in the huddle.

I'm more or less showing him throw under pressure with a guy in his face. Sticking in the collapsing pocket and making a throw. The hit is irrelevant IMO.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM ]
  • Jiks
  • Member
  • Posts: 29,220
Originally posted by Joecool:
Anyone have a gif of Gabbert talking to his team in the huddle after coming back into the game? Leadership!!!!!...well, not really, but it was good to see.

It looked as if he got on their asses.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by jogr49:
Quinns decision was abysmal. Period. Choke city. With that said, DL of Niners won this game by taking away run. Well done for sure.

I think that's why they had Purcell instead of Tank playing yesterday. They needed to be more stout in the run game. Good decision by Mangini/Tomsula

Agree and it's about time.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone