There are 541 users in the forums
Start Gabbert?
Start Gabbert?
Jul 30, 2016 at 6:58 PM
- mojave45
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,046
We will know soon enough who starts. But I don't see a playoff appearance in the cards.
Jul 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM
- JoeBart324
- Veteran
- Posts: 965
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
The guy showed some promise last year. He was thrown into an absolutely atrocious situation in Jacksonville and has the talent to be at minimum a decent QB. He could actually be a good QB.
If you think Kap is a better QB that is fine with me. But I think Gabbert has a place in the NFL. It may not be with this team in the end, but he certainly is not a Brady Quinn type QB. He can play the game.
Just to be frank, judging a QB by wins is incredibly shortsighted. There have been plenty of QBs throughout the years that have revitalized their careers by a change of scenery. Not that Gabbert is a Steve Young, but Young was buried in an atrocious Tampa Bay team and turned out to be an astonishing QB. Favre was a backup in Atlanta. Warner was bagging groceries. Sometimes all it takes is a system that the QB can work with. Gabbert probably isn't on their level, but to dismiss a guy simply because he hasn't "won" is absolutely ridiculous.
I think so many fall in love with the underdog story no matter who the QB is. Many have fallen in love with Gabbert being an Alex Smith, Brett Favre, Steve Young type player where moving to another team revitalizes their career. I mean, I don't see much in Gabbert's game beyond a couple of OK games that exceeded the extremely low expectations set for him. Amazing how some want to hand him the keys when he was merely OK last year....but since the expectations were so low for him, beying anything better than bad caught a lot of people by surprise.
If the thought is that Gabbert can revitalize his career, then why can't Kaep who has at least accomplished far more in the NFL?
Here's what I see.. Kaep has had high expectations, he fell well short of them...Gabert had low expectations and exceeded them. Their play last season was supbar and if they play that way this season they will never start anywhere again.
Lets see what happens this year. The better QB should start. What happened last year should have ZERO bearing on who the starter should be. QB play was poor last year and that goes for both QB's.
I do find it amazing how no one ever talks about Kaep's situation last year beign downright atrocious...terrible coach, oline and injuries.. And ye he's written off... But Gabbert deserves another chance.
Very fair assessment BlindFury and I appreciate the thoughtful analysis. I was merely trying to explain that Gabbert has the potential to be at minimum a decent NFL starter. Kap has a much higher ceiling, and I would absolutely love to see him realize his potential. He is an incredible athlete and has made some ridiculous plays.
I've been on record as a tremendous Kap homer and I want him to succeed. At the same time I feel Gabbert may be a better fit for Kelly's offense.
All that said, I am 100% with you. I want the best QB on the roster to be the starter. If that is Driskell, so be it. If all of us as fans can get behind the fact that this team is outside its window, and is now rebuilding, I think we will be better off for it. Let this season be an exciting time to see who develops on the roster, and get Superbowl or bust out of the mindset. I want the team to be pursuing a Superbowl, but I also realize that is likely not in the cards. I just want to see progress wherever that progress may be.
Again, I thank you for the thoughtful rebuttal, and it was one of the better ones I have ever seen on the Zone in my limited experience here. You've made me rethink my position. I really just want to see an exciting offense, a challenging defense and a fun season. Let us hope the team is not mired in mediocrity like the Browns have typically been.
Um... go Niners?
Jul 30, 2016 at 7:13 PM
- Blindfury
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,663
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Very fair assessment BlindFury and I appreciate the thoughtful analysis. I was merely trying to explain that Gabbert has the potential to be at minimum a decent NFL starter. Kap has a much higher ceiling, and I would absolutely love to see him realize his potential. He is an incredible athlete and has made some ridiculous plays.
I've been on record as a tremendous Kap homer and I want him to succeed. At the same time I feel Gabbert may be a better fit for Kelly's offense.
All that said, I am 100% with you. I want the best QB on the roster to be the starter. If that is Driskell, so be it. If all of us as fans can get behind the fact that this team is outside its window, and is now rebuilding, I think we will be better off for it. Let this season be an exciting time to see who develops on the roster, and get Superbowl or bust out of the mindset. I want the team to be pursuing a Superbowl, but I also realize that is likely not in the cards. I just want to see progress wherever that progress may be.
Again, I thank you for the thoughtful rebuttal, and it was one of the better ones I have ever seen on the Zone in my limited experience here. You've made me rethink my position. I really just want to see an exciting offense, a challenging defense and a fun season. Let us hope the team is not mired in mediocrity like the Browns have typically been.
Um... go Niners?
Hey, we both want the same thing. To see our team move in the right direction and win. I think we have some serious problems though that go beyond QB. At least we have a better coach than last year..that's about it though.
Jul 30, 2016 at 7:20 PM
- JoeBart324
- Veteran
- Posts: 965
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Very fair assessment BlindFury and I appreciate the thoughtful analysis. I was merely trying to explain that Gabbert has the potential to be at minimum a decent NFL starter. Kap has a much higher ceiling, and I would absolutely love to see him realize his potential. He is an incredible athlete and has made some ridiculous plays.
I've been on record as a tremendous Kap homer and I want him to succeed. At the same time I feel Gabbert may be a better fit for Kelly's offense.
All that said, I am 100% with you. I want the best QB on the roster to be the starter. If that is Driskell, so be it. If all of us as fans can get behind the fact that this team is outside its window, and is now rebuilding, I think we will be better off for it. Let this season be an exciting time to see who develops on the roster, and get Superbowl or bust out of the mindset. I want the team to be pursuing a Superbowl, but I also realize that is likely not in the cards. I just want to see progress wherever that progress may be.
Again, I thank you for the thoughtful rebuttal, and it was one of the better ones I have ever seen on the Zone in my limited experience here. You've made me rethink my position. I really just want to see an exciting offense, a challenging defense and a fun season. Let us hope the team is not mired in mediocrity like the Browns have typically been.
Um... go Niners?
Hey, we both want the same thing. To see our team move in the right direction and win. I think we have some serious problems though that go beyond QB. At least we have a better coach than last year..that's about it though.
I think we all want the same thing at the Zone! We just have differing views on how to accomplish it
The team does have serious flaws, but I think it is moving in the right direction. To get back to the OP, whether the starter is Gabbert or Kap or Driskell, I just want the best 11 players on the field. The Hawks did it with Wilson, the Cards did it with Palmer, and the Pats did it with Brady. Get the best guys out there and let the cards fall where they may.
I'm excited for this season and while I don't anticipate a winning season, I do anticipate a fun one! Ultimately that is what the NFL is about right? Enjoying watching your team play?
Jul 30, 2016 at 9:00 PM
- DonnieDarko
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,849
We start Gabbert, go 3-13 but make the playoffs
Jul 30, 2016 at 9:32 PM
- Crown
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 37,235
I would like to put in a formal request for more QB threads.
We simply don't have enough.
We simply don't have enough.
