There are 202 users in the forums

If he stays out of trouble will the 49ers pay to keep Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I sure hope so. Elite pass russers are rare. If not it may be 25 years before they find the next one.That is the time between the drafting of Charles Haley and the drafting of Aldon. I don't know about you, but I can't name anyone in between them that fits that category (rental players don't count). B.Y. is the closest I that I can think of, but even him I'm not quite sure about.

BY should be in the HOF. Only 7 less sacks than Sapp and Young was a better all around player. Haley was our last truly great consistent pass rusher. If he wasn't getting a sack he was causing havoc. Although I would probably compare Aldon more to Fred Dean.
Originally posted by REB4:
If a team is close to contending for a Super Bowl, they'll end up paying him double of whatever we offer as the missing piece. And there's at least a possibility this team is getting blown up if there's a change at at GM/HC if the 9ers fail to be an elite team again, so I doubt the 9ers pay him what he's worth even if he personally performs great & stays out of trouble.

Pass rushers are probably the 2nd most important position in the game (close 2nd would be LT).

Baalke isn't going anywhere, if he thought he was on a short leash he wouldn't have blown up the coaching staff. Plus Jed also stated that Baalke feels comfortable his job is safe based on trading down for future picks...which Jed loves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491594/article/niners-ceo-baalkes-draftday-trades-signify-comfort

Pass rush is one position that Baalke won't be cheap on and I have no doubt they will have stipulations in the contract based on off-field stuff. Aldon has also stated his goal is to resign with the team that stood by him through all his crap

"He has come a long way since he was suspended. Ultimately his goal, my goal, and the team's goal is for him to sign a long-term contract with the Niners"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476845/article/aldon-smith-restructures-2015-contract-with-niners

Unless he goes full potato, I see a extension around the bye week...
Even though he's flawed, he's one of my favorite players.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
I sure hope so. Elite pass russers are rare. If not it may be 25 years before they find the next one.That is the time between the drafting of Charles Haley and the drafting of Aldon. I don't know about you, but I can't name anyone in between them that fits that category (rental players don't count). B.Y. is the closest I that I can think of, but even him I'm not quite sure about.

BY should be in the HOF. Only 7 less sacks than Sapp and Young was a better all around player. Haley was our last truly great consistent pass rusher. If he wasn't getting a sack he was causing havoc. Although I would probably compare Aldon more to Fred Dean.

Agree about BY, and perhaps it will happen! Aldon is one of the new OLBs who is big and strong enough to play with his hand down and take on a double team, and quick enough to get around end. Lynch may be his equal and having both on this team is awesome. Brooks is a bit smaller but is also an excellent OLB and now adding Harold...Wow!

Fred Dean was 6'3" 230...so I don't see him in the same light as Aldon, except that he was incredibly strong for his size!
If he keeps his nose clean I think the odds are Baalke will want to re-sign him. To do that, they'll likely trade Brooks...they won't re-sign Vernon or Boone...etc. Aldon's one of the best pass rushers in the league...guys like him don't come along very often.
Didnt read lol.

But they need to sign him. there isnt a question. I will lose faith in baalke if they let him walk. this isnt cully, crabtree, goldson, or iuptai. This is a top 5 passrushing talent, arguably the hardest position to fill outside of qb. You dont let this guy walk no matter what. They should try to sign him asap to a team friendly deal.
  • thl408
An elite edge rusher is the foundation of a good D line. Put in some clauses that say he needs to stay out of trouble. He's the bomb. Pay the man.
A comment about Aldon's troubles--they are not the team killing type of issues that some players demonstrate. He has been somewhat dumb but each issue has been different and silly other than his drunk driving...or drunk tree leaning. If he was a terrible locker room guy then fine, get rid of him. But by all accounts he is a good team mate. So when people talk about his having to be on his best behavior, I understand, but he hasn't beaten his girlfriend, killed someone, or sold heroin to a DEA agent.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
lol niners dont pay nobody
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:

Sapp talked his way into the Hall. He was good for sure, and he was disruptive, but he was always in the public eye because he gave great sound bytes that idiot media members couldn't help but gobble up. It's a joke that sportswriters elect the HOF classes.

Not sure a long term deal gets reached. But I can't see Baalke not using the franchise tag on him.
Originally posted by susweel:
lol niners dont pay nobody

yet they were basically maxed out on cap space....someone is getting paid lol
Originally posted by SFrush:
Not sure a long term deal gets reached. But I can't see Baalke not using the franchise tag on him.

I agree I don't see a franchise tag happening, but why do believe a long-term deal doesn't get done?
If Lynch and Eli Harold are both legit, I can see the 49ers moving on. A. Smith is going to want close to what Watt signed for and some team will be willing to pay it.
According to Matt Maiocco on FB with a fan Q&A says he does not believe the niners will resign Aldon. It really does seem like a catch 22 though. If Aldon relapses, he will be cut. If Aldon has a monster season he will chase the highest dollar amount in FA. I also doubt that they put the F tag on him. So Aldon Smith is most likely with another team come this time next year. Sad but probably true.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on May 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone