LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 172 users in the forums

If he stays out of trouble will the 49ers pay to keep Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by insanemike27:
According to Matt Maiocco on FB with a fan Q&A says he does not believe the niners will resign Aldon. It really does seem like a catch 22 though. If Aldon relapses, he will be cut. If Aldon has a monster season he will chase the highest dollar amount in FA. I also doubt that they put the F tag on him. So Aldon Smith is most likely with another team come this time next year. Sad but probably true.

I just don't see them not resigning him...Baalke values pass rusher probably over just about any other position. I look at the draft and it kinda gives you an idea of who's in and who's out next year. Here's a article talking about why resigning him mid-season makes sense: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/5/10/8581209/aldon-smith-ian-williams-contract-extension-49ers-2015

Tartt replaces Beatha in 2016 which would save SF $3.75 million, Eli replaces Brooks/Lemonier which would save over $7 million.

Plus according to over the cap SF has over $34 million in cap space before they remove the two I talked about above (so we'd be looking at over $44 million in cap space). http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They have more than enough cap space to make it work...you don't let top pass rushers leave, it just doesn't happen ever.
If Aldon stays clean there's no way we don't re-sign him
Going to be hard for the 49ers not to if he has a good season, but he can't have any more run-ins with the law considering his suspension last season was pretty detrimental. Could go either way but I think he gets re-signed because he's a Baalke favorite, just like when he caved and renegotiated Boone's contract before last season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by susweel:
lol niners dont pay nobody

yet they were basically maxed out on cap space....someone is getting paid lol

must be some kind of accounting gimmick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I just don't see them not resigning him...Baalke values pass rusher probably over just about any other position. I look at the draft and it kinda gives you an idea of who's in and who's out next year. Here's a article talking about why resigning him mid-season makes sense: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/5/10/8581209/aldon-smith-ian-williams-contract-extension-49ers-2015

Tartt replaces Beatha in 2016 which would save SF $3.75 million, Eli replaces Brooks/Lemonier which would save over $7 million.

Plus according to over the cap SF has over $34 million in cap space before they remove the two I talked about above (so we'd be looking at over $44 million in cap space). http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They have more than enough cap space to make it work...you don't let top pass rushers leave, it just doesn't happen ever.
you never let the cornerstone of your defense or your offense leave unless you got someone a helluva lot better that is proven waiting in the wings
lol niners dont pay nobody

yet they were basically maxed out on cap space....someone is getting paid lol

must be some kind of accounting gimmick.

I know right lol....here's a breakdown of everyone for 2015 http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

they currently have a little over $5 million in cap space and can move some players around.
Originally posted by cciowa:

you never let the cornerstone of your defense or your offense leave unless you got someone a helluva lot better that is proven waiting in the wings

Right! I think if they thought they were gonna move on from Smith they would have done it while he was being a moron lol....you don't stand by your player and deal with everything just to see him leave after he's completed his suspensions and rehab...doesn't make good business sense to me.
They will try to keep A Smith, and I think the best shot is an extension before the season starts. But I really think Harold is Baalke's bargaining chip if AS plays hardball. A contract that is large but team friendly, like Kaepernick's seems likely. For those who think it impossible to see him go...I will miss J Smith more. He helped A Smith become the pass rusher he did and is so undervalued!

One reason I think Armstead is a good replacement for J Smith is his ability to beat double teams. Haven't seen Carradine do much of that yet but as soon as AA is aclimated to the NFL I expect him to be a terror. That will allow A Smith or Harold or Lynch to rush without being doubled.

Could see a 7 man front in a year or so of Harold/Armstead/Bowman/Dial/Wilhoite/Carradine/Lynch.

On that front the weak spot might be ILB, so that is still a future need.
I just wouldnt understand how you would let a guy like this walk, problems in all. His first step is ridiculous, half the time it looks like he is gonna cause a false start but he is just that much quicker then everyone. he has proven time and time again that he can be a true for and game changer. I would probably be the most upset I have ever been as a niner fan if they let this guy go. (Outside of the superbowl loss, and championship games). As a player, this is a guy you build your defense around.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on May 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM ]
If he stays out of trouble and IF he is once again a dominant pass rusher who can take over a game.. then YES. It will depend on his production on the field as much as what he does off the field.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
They will try to keep A Smith, and I think the best shot is an extension before the season starts. But I really think Harold is Baalke's bargaining chip if AS plays hardball. A contract that is large but team friendly, like Kaepernick's seems likely. For those who think it impossible to see him go...I will miss J Smith more. He helped A Smith become the pass rusher he did and is so undervalued!

One reason I think Armstead is a good replacement for J Smith is his ability to beat double teams. Haven't seen Carradine do much of that yet but as soon as AA is aclimated to the NFL I expect him to be a terror. That will allow A Smith or Harold or Lynch to rush without being doubled.

Could see a 7 man front in a year or so of Harold/Armstead/Bowman/Dial/Wilhoite/Carradine/Lynch.

On that front the weak spot might be ILB, so that is still a future need.

A unproven 3rd round pick isn't really a good bargaining chip IMO... That's like saying we drafted Lemonier to take over Smith lol. I don't really see there being a huge standstill by Smith. He has stated his goal is to remain with SF for the long-term. He would have already been extended if not for the off-field crap.

If they were going to resign him this off-season they wouldn't have restructured his contract the way it currently is. This is more about SF not getting burned with more off-field stuff, then trying to be cheap. If he keeps playing the way he has and doesn't get in trouble there's no reason why a extension doesn't get done mid-season.

I don't think anyone thinks the Cowboy is underrated
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
I just wouldnt understand how you would let a guy like this walk, problems in all. His first step is ridiculous, half the time it looks like he is gonna cause a false start but he is just that much quicker then everyone. he has proven time and time again that he can be a true for and game changer. I would probably be the most upset I have ever been as a niner fan if they let this guy go. (Outside of the superbowl loss, and championship games). As a player, this is a guy you build your defense around.

Harold has one of the best first steps in the draft, if not the very best. Can't compare him to Aldon yet but times change and players come and go...so...
A unproven 3rd round pick isn't really a good bargaining chip IMO... That's like saying we draft Lemonier to take over Smith lol. I don't really see there being a huge standstill by Smith. He has stated his goal is to remain with SF for the long-term. He would have already been extended if not for the off-field crap.

If they were going to resign him this off-season they wouldn't have restructured his contract the way it currently is. This is more about SF not getting burned with more off-field stuff, then trying to be cheap. If he keeps playing the way he has and doesn't get in trouble there's no reason why a extension doesn't get done mid-season.

Harold was judged to be a first round pick by many scouts, so while I'm not comparing him to Aldon I am saying Baalke tends to negotiate from strength, not weakness. I disgree about not being resigned during camps. He made it through the offseason fairly well so getting him under contract now would be smart. If they wait through the season I suppose they could rotate him to keep his numbers down...but we are concerned with "character" now so...

I think the Cowboy is vastly under rated by many. He doesn't put up glitzy numbers so many fans, who tend to read the headlines only, probably think he's a rodeo clown.

If they can keep Aldon I'll be ecstatic, if they can't I won't cry...just the way this game goes.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 11, 2015 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Harold has one of the best first steps in the draft, if not the very best. Can't compare him to Aldon yet but times change and players come and go...so...

Except Harold is 245 and Aldon is 270. Plus Aldon has those freakishly long arms and a nasty bullrush. I like Harold, dont get me wrong, but I doubt he ever becomes nearly as complete a passrusher as Aldon.
A unproven 3rd round pick isn't really a good bargaining chip IMO... That's like saying we draft Lemonier to take over Smith lol. I don't really see there being a huge standstill by Smith. He has stated his goal is to remain with SF for the long-term. He would have already been extended if not for the off-field crap.

Harold was judged to be a first round pick by many scouts, so while I'm not comparing him to Aldon I am saying Baalke tends to negotiate from strength, not weakness. I disgree about not being resigned during camps. He made it through the offseason fairly well so getting him under contract now would be smart. If they wait through the season I suppose they could rotate him to keep his numbers down...but we are concerned with "character" now so...

I think the Cowboy is vastly under rated by many. He doesn't put up glitzy numbers so many fans, who tend to read the headlines only, probably think he's a rodeo clown.

Of they can keep Aldon I'll be ecstatic, if they can't I won't cry...just the way this game goes.

Harold was judged up and down by a lot of people some had him as a late first others had him as a 3rd....pass rush is one of the most important spots in football and if he does have the best first step in the draft, why did he go in the 3rd? He's pretty raw and needs a lot of work, solid depth this year NOT even close to a replacement for Smith (who was the 7th pick in the draft for a reason).

Heck if they resign him in the off-season I'm all for it ... I did post this article earlier in the thread, which stated how Smith's goal is to stay with the Niners long-term.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476845/article/aldon-smith-restructures-2015-contract-with-niners

Teams never let top pass rushers leave, it just doesn't happen. That's like Rogers/Brady/Brees all leaving in their prime. Pass rushers are the equivalent of that on defense. Saying Harold is a negotiating piece is like telling Rogers (in his prime) that we drafted a 3rd round QB so you need to take a deal lol.

Any real football fan knows Justin's worth for this squad. He's position isn't supposed to generate big numbers. No doubt he helped Lynch/Brooks/Smith the past couple seasons, man I hope he comes back!
Share 49ersWebzone